Rescan yes or no network folders at each start

Good afternoon everybody,
First of all, we enjoy extremely every day listening via Audirvana Studio. We have only one minor problem.
On Local Settings the option Rescan network folders at each start we have excluded. We don’t need this option and we prefer scanning when we want it.
But…every time we start Audirvana fresh, Audirvana starts scanning. We have several external harddiscs with music connected with a Mac Mini. When Audirvana start, she choose one of the external harddiscs for scanning. When we interrupt scanning and quit Audirvana and starts Audirvana for the second time, she open and then NO scanning. How can that be? We know, it is a minor problem and can be solved by closing and again starting the application, but this procedure is not so elegant and not worthy such a beautiful app.
Thank you,
Syrinx

I’ve had that happen many times. Ironically, if I add files through the Music app, and I open Audirvana Origin, it doesn’t look for the new files!

Right! I followed just the same procedure, as I described: start Audirvana Studio; Audirvana begins scanning one of my external harddiscs. I quit Audirvana. But then…. I added some music files to another of my harddiscs. After that I started Audirvana and she did nothing with these new music files! I had to add them myself to the database of Audirvana. But…when I add music files to a harddisc while Audirvana is open and working, she take notice of these files and begins to add them to her database.
This behavior of Audirvana has something paradoxal.
The option must be one of both:
Let Audirvana be aware of the amount of music files, more or less files, and handle this changement. Or let me handle this.
In that case the option we get in the Local Settings is clear and right.
For a programmer this must be peanuts to realise.
Thank you for your response.

1 Like

Sorry, if I misunderstand you but I do not understand the issue. I have a similar setup (ext hd connected to Mac Mini). I always have ‘rescanning a network drive’ disabled since I presumed a locally connected external harddisk is not a network drive, such as a NAS.

Exactly, in my opinion an external harddisc that is connected to a computer, that is part of a network, belongs to this same network and will be recognized as such.
Disabling rescanning means also disabling rescanning of this external harddisc, not only a NAS.
And that is the point! When Audirvana gets a fresh start, let us say in the morning, restarting the computer after the night before, she begins thrust fully the rescanning procedure that I have disabled, for me too thrust fully, because i have 6 (six) harddiscs connected to the Mac Mini and that takes hours scanning. Why so much harddiscs? Well, suppose all the music is together on one big disc and this disc fails, all music is lost, unless you have a backup of all your music (but that will be six discs!). With a spread on more discs, and one fails, this means a loss of less music (pun not intended).
After closing Audirvana quickly and reopening Audirvana behaves conform “rescan disabled”.
When between closing and reopening I add music to a harddisc, I have to go in the Local Settings and let Audirvana rescan that disc or the map on that disc in which the new music has been added. That is the way I want it. So far so good.
What I don’t want is that Audirvana after a fresh start, for me in the morning, begins scanning without necessity, because I did not add new music.
The paradox is that when I add music during a Audirvana session, Audirvana is aware of that and begins adding that music to her database. That takes not only time but also so much computer memory that it interrupts music playing. Moreover the music I add to a harddisc comes from another computer in another room, a PC, that is by Teamviewer connected to the mac mini. The stream from the PC to the Mac Mini is slowed down by the scanning procedure of Audirvana at the same time.
I hope you see my point now.
Thanks for your answer,
Syrinx

I switched off this option from the beginning and it works like a charm with both my setups. syncing may take some time but in no way several hours.

To help you discover any causes I list what I seem to do differently, perhaps this can be of use to you.

1. load only one type of files i.e. (hires) Flac files with 0 compression and just manually sync these when needed with the Audirvana library.
    On a weekly basis I maintain the Audirvana library.
    From time to time I delete the library and create a new one (this does take some time, I do not know exactly how long, since I start this job before I go to bed :smile: )

2. to safeguard the data instead of connecting several harddisks (perhaps a slow USB switch causes the problems?) I have two set ups, configured as follows:
    a. listening room setup one 8Tb HD connected directly to the 2014 Mac Mini and
    b. study setup two RAID drives (WD MyBook Duo (20 Tb and 16 Tb) to an 2015 iMac through a normal USB switch.

3. when I purchase new files, after correctly tagging this, I copy these files to the HD of the listening room set up through my home network.
    From time to time I connect the “listening room HD” to the work iMac delete all data on the 8 Tb HD and copy all data from the RAID system to the 8 Tb HD. To make sure all data remains identical.
    On top I make copies of all data to 3 mobile hard disks for use “on the road” plus I copy all data to another set of HDs that I store outside my home.

After using Audirvana for quite some years now, my best bet would be to delete the Audirvana library (by renaming the sql file in the Home library of you Mac) and setting up the Audirvana library again.
Good luck, I hope you will be able to solve this akward problem

Thank you for your extensive answer, an impressive method to work with. My use of Audirvana has also gone a long way. From the first appearance of the program to the switch to the Studio Version.
I have found my way to deal with the imperfection of it.
The big portion of music files on our database is from ripping our complete cd/sacd collection, about a 1000 cd’s. That was already a long activity, months.
After that we use also Qobuz, a Streaming Service that also sells their music. The resolution of these music files is higher than from our cd’s. Nearly all of them are in flac format.
When ‘old fashioned’ Audirvana switched to Studio a new database was build and after some time I let Studio do a control of the database and she found it impeccable.
The harddiscs are usb 2 system and they are connected to Mac Mini by 2 usb 3 switches. New mac mini’s have only two usb inputs, the other 4 are usb C, so the usb switch needs an adaptor for usb C.
For some time we used ROOM software. The handling of our music collection is better with ROON than with Audirvana, but the sound quality of Audirvana we prefer.
Deleting/backuping of the existing database and creating of a new one on this moment I don’t like, because I am afraid that it will not cure our problem. Living with the actual situation we prefer, because the workaround we have and our hope that Antoine will work on this item of scanning and rescanning.
Again thanks for your suggestions and help, we appreciate that very much,
Stay in good health, Syrinx

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.