Scrambled sound and no stereo mode over HDMI

Any different if you put Denon into Stereo, Direct or Pure Direct mode ?
You still have 13 gb of memory assignment to buffer, does that leave approximately 3 gb for OS to run everything else ?

Is your midi master volume supposed to be zero ? Have you tried pushing it up to 100% ?

I never had a memory problem. I reduced it to 4000 with the same behavior. But you are right, I will change it …
I have no difference with pure/auto/direct mode.

Ok , let’s reduce that buffer, fiddle with the midi volume out. I will grab a cable and try my MacBook Pro into my 4500 today. I’m on studio and os 12.1 but let’s give it a test.

To be sure. If you deactivate exclusive access. Then change the midi settings to 2 channels. If you then press play, the settings still go back to 8 channels?

You should set your speaker settings in Audio MIDI Setup to an 8 channel configuration if you are telling Core Audio that the HDMI output is 8 channels… The speaker setting must reflect the number of output channels defined by the “Input” “Output” configuration you have chosen… In “Stereo” 2-channel playback, the DENON will only output to the Left and Right channels respectively, as defined in the speaker settings, even though it is playing back 2-channel audio…

You must set the max sample-rate to the maximum of the DENON because you are using ‘power of 2’ up-conversion and this may try to produce a sample-rate beyond the capabilities of the DENON.

How long is your HDMI cable?

Just Right

Where can I grab a multi channel test track easily?

1 Like

Use the speaker test tones from Audio MIDI Setup speaker configuration

1 Like

Roger that, will do

Tones won’t play, Exclusive off , stereo mode…Big Fail Sounds Like Crap

It will not even attempt to play DSD file

Once you release the Denon by clicking lock off you can run the test tones properly. Interesting :face_with_monocle:

DSD is not supported by the Apple HDMI interface…

Got ya thanks, it went to play and stuck so really no problem. But stereo play is definitely not available, the noise is a bit louder than source that was playing and sounds like multi path fm say like between stations on fm radio if that makes sense to explain it fuzzy fluttering

I think the snag is in the HDMI interface… The debug info keeps showing the Apple HDMI interface as the output… The DRM employed in the HDMI interface may be the snag… If multi-channel DSD is required, this will require USB via DoP…

I can’t find the Owners Manual for the AVR-X4700H on the US DENON site…

1 Like

Once you get out of Audirvāna it works fab. This issue while being a bummer for OP I kind of doubt that this will be afforded any resources anytime soon, but that’s only my opinion/guess I would love to be wrong about that but the team’s list is long I’m sure

4500 maybe that’s what I have, same basic stuff I believe

Pages 206 - 209 define the input settings of the 4500… I presume it is similar to the x4700H
Perhaps the HDMI “control” function must be set to “OFF”

Page 298 defines the HDCP implementations and supported file formats…

If a device that does not support HDCP is connected, video and audio are not output correctly. Read the owner’s manual of your television or player for more information.

1 Like

Interesting… I presume “OP” means “other people”? What sofware player are you using to get the multi-channel playback working correctly using HDMI?

My bad is OP original poster? That’s different than OPP for sure. I’m using VLC to play concert video Blu-ray rips, race playbacks etc. works great

multi-channel DSD?