Sound quality compared between local and streaming

I have near zero issues with my internet connection, very very stable, works with wifi only like a charm. :sunglasses:

Matt

Not sure this is the way to go even from a SQ perspective.
And streaming services will never allow this.

Matt

A bit like just listening to radio then?
I like to listen to music when driving, travelling on the train, internet not so reliable then.
Don’t do streaming at all.

No, with radio you have no choice what to listen to.

Matt

Aside from that, which I know.
I’m just interested in why some folks would not want to have local music?
I would hate not to be able to listen to my music in the car, on the train etc.

1 Like

I’m with you on that one. The main reason I use AS over the bigger rival app is that I can play my local library when offline (flights, remote locations with no or very intermittent power/internet, or when my fibre provider drops the ball, which is not uncommon in Malaysia)

1 Like

@reddog1
@Djm1960
I think it is nice that Audirvana works for all of us :slight_smile:

Matt

2 Likes

Agreed! I think the compulsive desire to own my music rather than stream from Qobuz is mostly an age thing (grew up with vinyl then CD’s and minidisks). I use AS with Qobuz for music discovery, when I find something I like I always purchase the download from Qobuz. The remote location issues I am confronted with are a further personal justification for the fiscally imprudent stream and purchase approach.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s probably an age thing… I don’t streammusic at all.
On a gloomy note, there’s millions of youngsters who will be pissed off when Qbuzz or the other one goes wrong!

1 Like

Regardless of whether writing to local storage instead of playing from memory has an advantage. Streaming services will not appreciate it if there is a wav file on a storage medium. This makes copying and pasting very simple.

That has little to do with the fact that we poor audiophiles never get what we really need. Because no one cares about us.

1 Like

There’s no way they are going to allow local storage.

2 Likes

They do…after you have streamed an album you like Qobuz offers a discounted price (via the Sublime subscription) to purchase the album and download to your local storage for all eternity. The assumption being an audiophile is always ready to spend more in pursuit of his addiction…a fact that has not gone unnoticed by the HiFi manufacturers, audiophile cable, switch and power supply manufacturers hence the occasionally ludicrous cost for their “high-end” products.

2 Likes

Of course they’re fine with you buying albums. And because it is your property, you can also save it locally, wherever you want. Record companies and streaming services will not approve of you saving streamed content in a copyable format.

1 Like

The only way to keep on enjoying music is to let the musicians and other people in the industry earn a decent income from their much appreciated work

3 Likes

Totally agree, that was my point….,It’s always about the money……,

1 Like

Which is why I buy my music, directly from artist idf possible, not feed the coffers of streaming services who pay a pittance to most musicians.

3 Likes

I find it interesting that audiophiles are willing to pay more for a higher resolution format file. Because that is ‘worth it’ and also check with analysis software whether it is ‘real HiRes’. While that is only the container of months or years of work by perhaps 100 people. (or more)

I’d rather pay for a cool project in RedBook than a boring audiophile recording in DSD.

3 Likes

I’m happy to pay for decent mp3 of a really cool artist… content is all.

2 Likes

If the SQ of mp3 suffices, why bother using HQ services and software? :thinking:

Because I can?
Even an mp3 sounds better through a decent system, or have you not noticed?
The vast majority of my collection is not mp3, if you need to know.