Sync speed is extremely slow

I’m having a great deal of trouble with Audirvana’s sync process. I’ve set my preferences for syncing to be done manually, but it still starts up automatically every time I start the program, and it takes 20 minutes to complete the syncing. I’m not exaggerating; it really is 20 minutes.

During this time, it is using 90-99 percent of my 2016 MacBook Pro’s CPU. The whole system is essentially useless for 20 minutes. And it does this even if there have been no new songs added to my iTunes library.

I have a large library, but shouldn’t Audirvana be able to handle that? I can’t find anything in the preferences or instructions that seem to solve this problem. Can anyone help me?

1 Like

There is a button “sync at start up” in the preferences menu (right below the 1st sync method), have you checked if it is on or off ?

Thanks, Alain. That button is off.

You posted this almost 4 years ago, and 4 years later nothing has changed.
20 minutes? You are lucky then.
At the moment my library consists of 5440 albums grouped in ten different folders. I have 2023 MacMini M2 with 16gb of RAM. To sync all ten folders it takes Audirvana 1 hour and 56 minutes!
This is beyond ridiculous. It’s like 80s again. Like you said, during syncing Audirvana is unusable. Also, the ‘sync at start up’ doesn’t work (never did) and Audirvana always kicks in the sync process, regardless of the settings. The only way around this problem is to switch off Audirvana every time it begins doing it and switch it back on again, only then the sync process is stopped.
But if I add some new albums to any of my folders then I have to wait two hours for syncing to be completed. It’s a joke and complete waste of time.
I bought one year access to Studio and I won’t be extending my subscription.

Cherrington, I was wondering whether you are still an Audirvana user and what was the size of your library back then.

Hi, Fenry. I actually have not been using Audirvana that much, precisely because of this problem. When I first posted about this, I had just over 8,000 albums, and probably closer to 9,000 now. It seems absurd to me that this should be a problem at all. The primary purpose of the app is to manage a catalog and play a music library. People with a hundred recordings don’t really need a program to keep track of them–you can see them all at once. It’s only people like us with thousands of albums who need a cataloging program, so handling large libraries should be the essence of the program. Yet this exactly where it falls down. I love the sound processing it does and the accommodation of Audio Units (the Goodhertz Can Opener is especially fun), but the hassle of opening the program keeps me from using it. This conversation prompted me to try again, now on an M1 Mac Mini, and right now it’s been syncing for about 50 minutes, and it still has a third of the library to go. It doesn’t seem to be choking the CPU as much as it did before, which is a big improvement. We’ll see how that does once the syncing is done.

1 Like

You are posting about Studio in the legacy topic area, you might want to check what application version @Cherrington is using before you are comparing apples and basketball’s.

1 Like

Cheers Cherrington.
May I ask what software are you using now to manage and play your library?

Hi OffRode.
Yeah, I just realized later that I am talking about Studio and Cherrington talks most probably
about some earlier version.
Anyways, the problem we both describing seems to be permanent, built in to any version, so that makes it even worse I guess.

Well, it took four hours to sync, but just as the progress bar got almost all the way to the end, the computer said it had run out of memory because of Audirvana, and then Audirvana stopped responding, just giving me the spinning beachball. I had to force quit after four hours of syncing. Incredibly frustrating.

@Cherrington What version of Audirvāna are you talking about?

@fenry Start your own topic in the studio section and Antoine is more likely to be proactive.
Hopefully some help is forthcoming for you :+1:t2:

I’m using version 3.5.5 (not Studio). But the problems that @fenry is having are the same as mine, so presumably something that carried forward to the studio rebuild. And, I’m hoping, if he gets an answer from Antoine for that it might also work for me.

1 Like

Made a little movie showing my database being scanned
on two etxernal hard drives, while playing music…

macOS Sonoma on a 2018 MacMini 20gb ram…
in shape database…
44 secondes syncing 2 external hard drives
4436 albums, 53 231 files,
local,
Flac and DSF only.

can’t upload movie here… here is a link from my dropbox (66,5mb)
you will have to download it…can’t find how to show a movie here
even Dropbox s*ck… find the download button, you don’t have to rigester… Arf!!

Delete your database and start again?

Oh i see you were on Audirvana 3.5?
you want the same movie as fast syncing with the v3.5 version?
be glad to do it again if you want to see

1 Like

couldn’t resist here is the same thing in Audirvana 3.5 :slight_smile:

Hi RunHomeSlow, thank you for the video and post. How come yours is syncing in seconds and ours in hours?
What do we supposed to do to have as qucik sync as yours?

If i were you, i would delete my database and redo it… but you are on studio… and it is very long when it launches a database for the first time… it scan everything for the Musicbrainz tagging thing or just analyzing your files… can’t remember exactly now as i’m on Origin and old 3.5.

you have ten folders, they are on one drive? this drive goes to sleep? they are on an external drive? if they are on the same drive, can you put them all ten in one new folder call, whatever?
maybe one of your folder is badly named for Audirvana? accents in name?

you can go to Audirvana preferences and remove 9 folders and keep one and sync and let it go and see if fast or not… then, if fast after close Audirvana and recopy that new database somewhere else as another backup. Reopen Audirvana and add the second
of your ten folders and sync again… still fast? redo till 10…

those are just suggestions not to start from scratch…
also, i guess you already do the four maintenances database things in the preferences…

So, when you have time and want to make a test…
Close Audirvana, go to your mac and copy the .sqlite file and put it somewhere else…
if the backup don’t do better, you can put your old file in the same place and
you’ll be at the same spot you were.

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop
and save them in a folder… when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back
in one shot. Sadly to this day, the folders they were in if so, are not back,
you have to do them again…
Now Studio and Origin has the backup and restore
playlists option in preferences…
For the favorites restore or not, i don’t do Favorites,
so, i have none…
i don’t stream either, i only have local files on a hard drive…

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

So, start by exporting your playlists from Local tab in preferences.

Go in Audirvana preferences panel and remove your music folder(s) there
(all the folder(s) of music you have there) delete them with minus sign.
Now you have no album in Audirvana window. Close Audirvana.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not)
AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite is for Studio, but remove others if you have old version
of .sqlite… for Studio not Starting to convert them at first launch.

Restart Mac.

Open Audirvana,
Don’t do anything… cancel if ask for a music folder,
then go in the preferences panel and check them all before adding music…

For me, i decide to turn off both Musicbrainz preference and track ID, you decide.
When trashing the preferences and starting new, the first preference of Musicbrainz is at ON
by default… Just to be sure before adding music, close Studio and reopen it and go back
to preferences if all is still off :slight_smile:

Parano, yes :slight_smile:

Now, add a Music folder (or just one of your ten to test, at first, it will sync in top middle of main window… then it will analyze all your files. Yes, even preferences off the Analyzing will be done… LET IT GO, even better don’t try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while it is not finished… you’ll see the progress bar going… Could be long the first time depending on how large your library is, and Mac is fast or not… go to sleep if it is too long :slight_smile:

Then when finished, sync it manually in the preferences with the button, if fast, when done shut down Audirvana, recopy the .sqlite file as a new backup fast syncing… reopen Audirvana go to prefs and add your second of ten folders… let it go… when finished, sync manually again… still fast? close, copy, reopen, add a third folder…

2 Likes

Hi,
Yes, I have all my files on one external 4tb SSD drive.
I have done everything you said and now the folders sync fast. Thank you. Much appreciated.
Going forward, are there any special maintenance steps I need to follow to avoid slow sync?

2 Likes

Close audirvana, and copy your .sqlite file regularly… keep like ten of them, you never know when you’ll see something that you never saw before and want to revert back.

In 6 months, you can do the four maintenance steps if you play often with tagging… but it should be good always if no crash or piwer failure happen.

Happy listen :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you again.

1 Like