System settings on Remote

Happy new year to everyone!

It would be nice if one had access to audio settings on the iPad remote control. For example, I have my Mac Mini upstairs in my office that runs some room EQ with Fab Pro Q3. To test filter settings, I need to go upstairs to change the settings. It would be really nice if one had access to these audio settings on the remote control to enable rapid filter (and other settings for that matter) optimization.

Hello @Sailor, do you mean access to vst3 or AU plugin in the Remote or the settings of your DAC?

Hello Damien, thanks for your reply.

I am trying to do room EQ with FabFilter Pro Q 3. In the Preferences setting, there’s the ‘Audio Settings …’ tab that allows to set various Plug Ins, such as FabFilter Pro Q 3. I selected this one and set the filters according to REW’s suggestions (see attached screenshots).

Now it would be nice if those settings could be changed in the remote app running on my iPad. This can be done in Roon, but I so much more prefer Audirvana with regards to sound quality.

It’s not a big issue, but rather than running to my MacMini upstairs, it would be nice if these settings could be changed in the remote app. If it can’t be done, no problem whatsoever.

Or, as an intermediate solution, use teamviewer to access your mac from your Ipad to change settings.

Good idea, haven‘ thought of team viewer. Thanks for the tip!

Team viewer is indeed a good idea. For the AU and VST3 plugins in the Remote it won’t be possible since we are using the music professional industry standard that allow every one to do their own change in Audirvana. This choice to have the best plugins possible can’t be compatible whit this implementation.

Thanks, Damien, for your reply. Team viewer suits my purpose perfectly fine! At this point I’d like to point out that Audirvana 3.5 produces fantastic sound! Great work!

1 Like

Hi Damian,
I just started using Apple AU in Audirvana 3.5 as a means to EQ my headphones and speakers. It seems to work really well because, unlike before, I’m able to engage AU without upsampling at the same time (which I don’t want to). Great!

The only inconvenience is that I need to switch from one preset to the other depending on whether I’m listening to the spekers or headphones and for that I have to: 1. open my MacBook 2. share screen with my MacMini 3. go to Preferences/Audio Units 4. de-select one filter (say Headpones) 5. select the other filter (Speakers).

If I forget to do this after my headphone listening and play my speakers in the morning I’ll have a problem. This would not be an issue if I could change the preset in Remote.

From the answer you gave to Sailor I wasn’t sure if you meant that this particular need - i.e. AU preset change in Remote - could not be accommodated. Could you please confirm? Thanks.

We meant AU(MacOS) or VST3(Win10) in general, having them in the Remote (and with the preset change) will not be possible, this is why we want to keep it in 3.5 or Studio.

Ah, thanks for clarifying it Damien. Obviously, making all this work isn’t as simple as it seems to us on the outside.

Still, as a heavy user of 3.5 and its Remote, I’ll make another suggestion (I don’t know if you implemented this in the Studio).

Enable a user to look at the remote to find out - without having to dig into desktop settings - the name of the preset that’s doing the filtering, if at all. With filters as good as they are today, and people doing more and more EQ customisation (for headphones, speakers, even different types of music etc.) this kind of information has assumed primary status and should at least be readily visible (if not quite possible to manipulate) remotely. I mean, even the desktop version of 3.5 keeps this information completely under the hub (while ‘SysOpt’ selection, for example, is displayed). This situation would make more sense if - and maybe this was the case in the past - we only had one filter preset. But I doubt it that any user of an advnced EQ plugin would settle for one preset only. Since I installed FabFilter my laptop screen share (MacMini user) is constantly on and most often it’s just so I know which filter I’m listening to.

3 Likes

Is it possible to simply toggle between EQ on and EQ off? Or even all audio effects on or off? That would be really useful!

Hello @Mark01, its possible. You need to go in studio settings under the processing section to deactivate EQ.

Ah, I meant using the iPhone remote app.

This may be possible, we will see what we can do about it.

I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all of your hard work :+1:

1 Like

I have the same want as the OP. Remote access to the eq settings would be most useful.

1 Like