Tidal MQA files stutter

I have local files, but those are not the issue. Thanks…

1 Like

Disable the auto-detect MQA capability and set it manually to non MQA. Check if it still stutters.

When I do that, the tracks play without any hesitation or stutter as PCM files, either 352.8 or 384, depending on the source. I don’t consider this a “solution” but it is a workaround to make the files play without interruption. I would still like to solve the MQA issue, if possible, as the songs sound better on Tidal with MQA. I am also going to contact Ifi to see if anyone has reported this problem to them on their end.

It could be a faulty hardware. If you bought it from a HiFi store ask for a replacement to test with.

Have you tried with ASIO driver?

I think I have solved it. Ifi has an 3 different firmware options for the Zen 2. I tried another version that includes a GTO (Gibbs Transient Optimised) filter that uses complex oversampling to reduce noise and (apparently) issues with MQA playback. You can read more about it here if interested:

The version of the firmware is 7.30c, in case this issue comes up again. Windows firmware upgrades require the unit to be connected to the PC via USB-A. I don’t know if it is the filter or some other unique aspect of this firmware version that makes the difference, but it WORKS!! After this upgrade, I am now listening to MQA decoded files with the Zen 2 without any unwanted stuttering or hesitation. Sound is great!!

Thanks for helping me work through possible solutions and re-thinking everything to get to this outcome.

5 Likes

Good job bitracer and Peter……if that square peg won’t go into the round hole your hammer is too small, bravo :clap:

1 Like

I’m testing the newer 7.4 firmware. With 7.4a (MQA) my iFi Zen DAC V2 also stutters while playing MQA. Both in Audirvana and Roon. With 7.4c (MQA and GTO filter) so far it seems OK so far.