Tidal MQA streaming with limited resolution only?

I was referring to »Audirvana or anyone« in your question.

Of absolutely no use that anyone on this forum getting into a huff over this situation. Tidal has announced that they are removing MQA and replacing with FLAC, this process is currently ongoing and apparently quite fluid and flexible in terms of what and when this transition is happening. Audirvāna and others only update the api from their streaming services partners at a fixed schedule, this will undoubtedly cause “ it’s this way on Tidal but doesn’t show up the same way on Audirvāna” syndrome for one thing. The change is on Tidal end after all, they dropped MQA not Audirvana.

3 Likes

Is it this 16/44.1 track played back at 24/44.1 due to “zero padding” that you are referring to as being played back at hi res, or something else?

Here are three examples – found with some help from Tidal:

2 Likes

There you go @Audi100 , enjoy them while you can. Soon they will be extinct just like the dodo bird. Sounds like Tidal must remove all of them.
Do they have any 2L releases in MQA? 2L have some of the only MQA on Qobuz

His last example of the 3 pictured above is 2L.

1 Like

Might be one of the only ways to turn the little blue light on soon.
Seems like Lenbrook purchase perhaps NAD M33 will still have some MQA, Radio Paradise is MQA on BluOs still.

All MQA throughout my day :joy:

1 Like

More examples are welcome, of course :wave: :raised_back_of_hand: :wave:

By the way: Tidal sent me a listing of some 20 tracks, declared as to be either MQA 24/96kHz or MQA 24/192kHz. But only very few of them turned out to be like that actually …

I get choosing the highest resolution available of say, a beatles album, but choosing the music based purely on the resolution seems weird…

1 Like

It is. On the other hand: I guess nobody here goes about it that way.

Maybe some do, though I tend to not to care… If the album I like is only CD quality, then so be it…

1 Like

Settling for redbook how gauche you savage :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The simple fact that I appreciate my favourite bar being steadily equipped with high quality spirits does not mean that I order that stuff all the time :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

You have obviously been sipping too much of the MQA kool-aid, enjoy it!

1 Like

I would even listen on vinyl if I had to…:scream:

1 Like

Me too, in a heartbeat brother!

I often look for higher resolution versions, though more often yet I’ll look for versions with higher dynamic range. And for classical I’ll look for award winning performances. (The website of Presto Classical, a British store selling downloads, discs, and I believe streaming now also, is particularly convenient for finding these.)

Please note that the MQA process will actually result in lower fidelity/resolution than an equivalent FLAC, for a couple of technical reasons. However, if you happen to like it better, then whatever works for you is great.

3 Likes

I think you missed the sarcasm in there matey… :rofl:

1 Like

I suppose I did. I enjoy changing things up and still poke a SACD in the oppo, throw a Who album on the vintage Marantz turntable. Computer and internet are nice but sometimes nice to turn it off.

Even playing some mqa won’t kill ya.

1 Like

I got my Who albums digified, as my first album, piper at the gates of dawn, my turntable sits forlornly gathering dust as I pump out the music from my laptop… as for mqa, I’ve never seen mqa offered as an option for any of the music I’ve bought over the last few years mqa had been a thing… I always believed it to be snake oil.
No streaming either…