USB output vs Streaming Output

Well I just did… in my post above… If we are talking about USB transmission… :wink:

1 Like

I just mades some important edits to that post…

I don’t have USB cables that long. My longest USB cable is 1 meter.
In my tests, iPurifier 3.0 made no audible improvement with good DACs and good USB cables (Audioquest, Neotech…). But when the USB cable was poor, such as the blue cables that come with iFi products, iP3 improved the sound.

I also have iGalvaic 3.0, and in my tests, it improved the sound when it was used between a computer and a DAC.

1 Like

Check this one:

Right, this is exactly why I was reluctant to get into a discussion of tweaks. The OP asked a basic question and wasn’t even sure of the terms he should use, and now we’re off talking about grounding, noise, measurements, and various tweak products.

Let’s just keep ourselves to helping the OP by posting what we think about USB vs. UPnP/DLNA, maybe?

2 Likes

@Jud
Well… they are both susceptible to noise induced distortions in the transmission of the data packets over a 2 meter run…

Edit: … And there is significant difference in the protocols for cable design (3.0 versus 2.0) which have not been addressed by the audio community generally…

We must consider the isochronous transmission of the data packet signals… The USB data is error-corrected via the error-correction sub-system and subsequent request signaling… up to the point of the asynchronous transfer to the DAC subsequent of the USB receiver… The less influence on the data transmission line from the power line and signaling lines, the better… therefore an extremely short USB 2.0 connection is best like the UpTone Audio USB 2.0 dongle they recommend with their REGEN interface, etc…

I think the Audio Science Review makes a lot of sense when comparing short lengths of USB 2.0 cables… What is audible, like he says, is the most important… I agree with @Cloclo that cable quality makes an audible difference and that these devices may not do anything in a given scenario… But a 2 meter run is much more susceptible to noise and cable design distortions of the data signals, in an isochronous transfer…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

@Jim_F … Knock yourself out:

I’m pulling this stuff out of my library… so I guess today is as good a day as any to revisit this stuff for those who may not be so edified regarding the subject… I’m a little burned-out on the subject personally…

https://www.digikey.com/en/pdf/x/xmos/xmos-fundamentals-usb-audio

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

He just can’t help it……….:joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

It’s part of my DNA :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok, listen closely in your deep black space background………

Please put down the Red Bull, drink only fresh water and take your medication……….that’s better

Now practice some breathing exercises and listen to some soft music via your perfected sound system…………pulse and blood pressure coming down nicely

Have a great evening sir :+1:t2:

1 Like

Never have tasted a Red Bull… and my medication is the music I listen to and the music I make…
Thanks for your concern… It’s always nice to know that folks care… :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

I use AudioQuest JitterBug FMJ, iPurifier3 and iSilencer in my stereo system.
Even for new DACs over USB, I think it helps with the sound quality.

Am trialing Studio and so far, liking it quite well.

My current setup includes a Music PC → ISO Regen → Singxer F1 USB-SPDIF converter → AN DAC (my DAC has only SPDIF input)

1. Kindly share which DLNA/UPnP renderers have reliably/ successfully being used with Audirvana. Heard about Limetree bridge being used by one user. Curious to know what other renderers people have been using lately.
  2. Anyone using Lumin U2 mini as a renderer?
  3. With USB output, kindly share if any of you are using USB-SPDIF converters with low jitter clock performance and ability to downsample output to a fixed frequency (again my DAC max input is 24bit/96KHz). D2D like Singxer F1/SU6 works only in Native mode and cannot downsample output.

best regards

There are too many to list here. Just select one you like and test Audirvana with it. Since you’re looking for SPDIF output, check out SBC based solutions by Allo. It’s your best bet for long term software support.

1 Like

Thanks; I had used Allo converters for a while. They are good, indeed; am trying to check if there are other better performing ones around - importantly successfully being used with Audirvana.

If you’re looking for integrated solution, check out Primare NP5mkII:

The old version worked with Audirvana, the new mk2 I don’t know (but I assume it works). Try it out before you buy, or buy it from somewhere with a good return policy.

1 Like

Argon Audio Solo:

Another option, but again… try before you buy. Hans Beekhuyzen tested this. It works with Minim server, but you need to check if it works with Audirvana (it should).

1 Like

Using an Ayre QX-5 Digital Hub with Audirvana Studio, and like it quite well. One point you should keep in mind in your trial: the Audirvana Community Forum actually tries to help you, and they have been enormously helpful to me. They respond to your questions promptly and courteously. I am a reformed Roon user, and I know the difference. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks @bitracer for your recommendations; will surely check them out.