VST Plugins. Do you use them?

Nice. I love to read success stories.
Enjoy the music.

Just curious. Is it 80hz and 180hz or 80hz and 160hz?

80hz for sure using the dynamic eq and regular eq to change things around 170~200hz area. I think.

I always use a spectrum analyser and EQ Plugins but to be honest, I am convinced the best performance/quality gain comes from a good DAC/Amp ( & Speaker/HP) combination! Right now I’m using Lake People and Violectric gears which I used to think before were too expensive but not anymore… (Sorry to only refer to these brands but if, like me, you avoid what is expandable and want something you can easily repair a few years later… you know what to pick up).

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

It seems that EQ is the primary plug-in tool that folks are using… Perhaps here, is the opportunity to branch the discussion into the realm of more effective room-correction plug-in tools like ARC System 3 and DIRAC LIVE as these are focused on the specific task like no other amalgamation of plug-ins are capable of accomplishing… They are also very affordable and easy enough to employ for the neophyte to address the acoustical anomalies of the speaker/room interface and interactions, that interfere with accurate hi-resolution playback appreciation, so to realize the full potential of Audirvana Studio in their listening environment…

If we can get users of these plug-ins to speak about how to apply them in Audirvana Studio, a great amount of AS users may benefit from the insights they provide, avoiding wasting money by chasing-down the acoustical gremlins in their personal listening environments by employing simple EQ, or otherwise…

This is not to obviate the synergistic relationship of physical room-treatment and related topics of electronic/mechanical, component/interconnect amalgamation, power/grounding/isolation and other tweaks that play into the appreciable enjoyment of hi-resolution audio playback. (It would be to continue the dialog regarding using the plug-in architecture of Audirvana Studio.)

3 Likes

I use two plugins for headphone correction, Sonarworks SoundID Reference and Toneboosters MorphIt. If they don’t have their own in-house curves for whichever headphone I’m using, I use Voxengo’s Prime EQ along with data from the AutoEQ Project and build a parametric EQ curve based on Harman’s studies.

Random: Lately though (on Windows) I notice AS using lots of CPU time doing nothing …wonder if it’s related to Tidal or Radio stuff. Weird.

I will try the Sonarworks. Never heard of. Seems to be VERY interesting.

Yeah… SoundID doesn’t work for me. With my manual settings with Ozone is absolutely a beauty to my ears. Impossible to describe.

Can you share your settings (a screenshot)? Of course not all of us will have the same experience but I’m very curious. With or without upsampling?

Never tried the upsampling tbh. Is it good?

So here the Ozone 9 settings.

Of course, always good to remind that it’s for my personal experience.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think upsampling is godd (r8brain, power of two). And DoP. And ASIO with large buffer. That’s my current settings (Windows 10). The same as you, my subjective experience. I will try your settings.

Nice. I will try the upsampling tonight. I will talk about here after the testing.

@ DGrigorescu Very interesting the upsampling. I don’t know why I missed that. With your config eveything became detailed. I mean, everything in the right place, space between the instruments and voices. Very interesting.

The cons: the sound seems to be a little brighter than my taste, but with Ozone I can fix that a little and try to get better.

But thanks for the tip. I will improve here and do more tests. Really interesting.

Ah… SoX it’s harder to get the same as r8brain, but a lot of things to change there. Maybe one day.

1 Like

Using Toneboosters EQ V4. No complaints so far.

Edit: 29,- EUR for perpetual license.

1 Like

I use CanOpener & MidSide from Goodhertz. Tried Ozone yesterday but my CPU is too old and slow for such thing. So I stay with this config for the moment, at least until I buy a new machine. But hey! - sounds good now too.

1 Like

I use the Hang Loose Convolver by Mitch Barnett.
Works perfect with Audirvana for DSP with Acourate.

2 Likes

Very interesting this topic. Someone (especially a beginner like me) can learn useful things. I’m glad to see many people using VST, it’s a big plus for A imo.

Interesting how things go full circle.

Back in the day [when people enjoyed music] we had the Loudness button, plus bass and treble controls. Then as folks made more money and audio became more popular the Audiophile was born…[purity was his calling] out with the loudness button, no eq, no bass or treble controls, Purity of signal was the Audiophile mantra, now the loudness button, along with bass and treble in a fancy new modern package is back. Eq it to your own personal tastes, upsample it, resample it, MQA it…your not IT until you massage that signal.

Hey have fun is what I say, what every it takes to enjoy the music.

7 Likes

I’ve always been dead set against dsp (see clear’s post above) but I recently started using Blue Cat’s Triple EQ, a free plugin just to sort of get my feet wet. I have some asymmetrical hearing loss so I’m using it to boost high frequency on the left channel. I was in an explosion but that’s another story. Up until now I’ve been using LPads to raise tweeter volume on the left channel and while that is effective it’s also a little broad. I get some image smearing to the left for frequencies that are below where I have issues. The plugin solves that issue quite nicely but I still wonder if I’ve got the imaging right. Which leaves me at the “if it sounds good it’s fine” point I guess. At any rate I’m enjoying learning about plugins and how to use them and they’re helping me to enjoy music more. I’ll most likely be trying a premium plugin or two based on recommendations in this thread.

Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

When the music plays and you go like this-----> :smiley:, then its all good!

Enjoy

3 Likes