Waveform seek bar

Comparing to other players look Roon or Foobar2000 I really miss waveform seek bar in Audirvana. Adding it would not only enhance UI and look of Audirvana but is also useful when navigating around particular track.

Yes please Audirvana!

Can see the loudness of a track and how much dynamic range there is.

Foobar 200 has some amazing components - which do not work on mac and so would love to see some of these here.

1 Like

I’ve added to my music library a set of longer tracks, and waveform seek bar is a badly needed feature. The only real drawback of Audirvana for me currently.

You can maybe overcome this using cue sheets.

1 Like

@bitracer thank you for a tip. Indeed it may work, but still this is partial solution only and feels more like a workaround.

The thing is that wave form seek bar is not a very complex task (unless internally there is something that makes it hard), especially if you compare other Audirvana features. This is the only thing that Roon offered to me that I miss all the time in Audirvana. I can’t image why would anyone wouldn’t like to have it included in Audirvana too.

If you have ReplayGain enabled it’s already calculated. It’s probably just a matter of presenting it.

This is what I suspect as well. Still it requires some bit of work but I find it strange that there is so little interest in such simple yet so useful feature.

Actually I am in the process of switching from Foobar to Audirvana and have never used that feature in Foobar.

Is it built-in or does one need a plugin? Where can I find this in Foobar?

I wonder if someone could explain to me in what way either a waveform display or a waveform seek bar would be useful in Audirvana?

I’m perfectly familiar with both from my work editing sound and video, and in both of those applications the display itself and the ability to cut into a specific part of the waveform is invaluable (and a huge improvement on the magnetic tape, razor blades and sticky tape of my youth!).
However, I don’t understand how it would be useful for a file player such as Audirvana. Interesting, certainly, but not useful to me at least.

I can think of reasons not to include it: unnecessary additional drain on processing and graphics, plus it might actually have a negative effect on the sound quality (displays on Hi-Fi equipment often do, and can be best switched off).

It’s quite possible that I’ve missed something obvious, in which case I’d be grateful if someone would point out my oversight.
Thanks!

Let me start from end of your question regarding impact of display on sound quality. Following your logic you should not only be using Audirvana, as it is using always graphic display but also should forbid OS from using graphic card resources which makes using Audirvana (or any other PC player using 3rd party OS) pointless in the first place. Keep in mind that turning off display or not drawing windows on screen does not equal to not using graphic card resources.

Answering your main question: I find it useful for finding particular part of track. While I could memorize all the times (or even write them down) for every track I like, it would be quite frustrating. Instead I can move seek bar to the almost correct place if I want to hear particular part again (since it is easier to memorize wave form shape than numbers from time). This can be also useful when testing different audio processing settings Audirvana provides.

Coming back to negative results for sound quality: I highly doubt it since such calculation is trivial for modern CPUs and it is being done before the track gets played. However if you think that drawing few additional pixels could influence sound on modern pc I rest my case as we return the first paragraph of my answer.

Thank you for your reply, though I don’t know why you found the need to be so patronising.

Thank you for explaining how and for what you would use a waveform display and the ability to start playback from specific points.
All understood
I have never personally needed such functionality in amateur home playback-only equipment (even if of undoubtedly ‘audiophile’ standard), and would not (again, personally) find any use for it in Audirvana. For professional use in my audio work the equipment (whether software or hardware) often includes such functionality, of course.

I have no idea if Audirvana will include such a seemingly niche feature in future versions, but you have three votes for your OP, so you never know.
If it were to be included I’d have no complaints, naturally, though I’d hope that the waveform display could at least be disabled.

Thank you again for your reply. Other than its tone I appreciate it.

Another example use case: at our Buddhist Center, we use many prayers which have silence in the tracks for meditation, but during guided retreats, we like to change that pause on the fly. The seekbar would be useful to us all the time. Also in planning the retreat, seeing how much time had previously been allotted to meditation, without having to listen to the whole track and write down numbers, or else edit it in Amadeus, etc, to see, or cut up the track and then import it into the playlist.

So, just one more vote for this feature. :smile:

Hasn’t this already been added in Audirvana studio?