What is your experience with Digital To Digital Converters (DDC) and Audirvana?

Here I can use Oppo 205 as DAC over Wi-Fi with Audirvana without any problem.
PCM 384khz and DSD 128.
As Oppo is on the router’s side, there is no transmission failure.

1 Like

It’s not all about transmission failure… You asked if it has a cleaner sound… This is a technical question beholding to the BER of the transmission system whether this is Wi-Fi, Ethernet or USB… What is tangible in your playback scenario, needs juxtaposition to some reference outside of a simple subjective assessment… If it sounds clean to you, then what else matters?

I didn’t make a claim that sound over Wi-Fi is cleaner, I asked a question.
So much so that I’m not even using the Oppo 205 as a DAC.
I wrote that it works without any problems, that’s all.

So if Wi-Fi works well, theoretically there should be less noise problems.
It was just a thought.

You asked a question regarding Wi-Fi transmission and whether or not it will ‘theoretically’ have a cleaner sound… Well, the fundamental digital-audio signal during the wireless transmission is generally free of interference if no other RF is in the same frequency/harmonic bandwidth… Otherwise the hardware Transmitter and Receiver circuits (Which includes interpolation of the signals) are bound to the same electronic noise potentials of any other transmission system that may present noise related jitter…

Will the accumulated jitter component in the transmission be less? Maybe… but a juxtaposition to a measurable reference, is the only way to quantify, outside of a subjective assessment of the playback sound-quality at output on your system in comparison to another transmission connection like Ethernet-only or USB-only… This is where I say, "If it sounds clean to you… What else matters?"

2 Likes

This is the point where I usually ask about room acoustics, measurements and room treatments… This is an area that will make much more of a difference in sound quality than differences in data transport systems… Unless you are talking about transmissions losses across those transport systems…

1 Like

This is the point where I usually say if you want to discuss those things, it’s easy to make a thread to do so. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, one other item of interest regarding external clocks from a comment by John Swenson, an engineer, on Audiophile Style, about system arrangements that create leakage currents (ground/noise currents):

Blockquote

You also have to make sure there are no “sneak paths”, DC power connections from the same supply output going to different devices on opposite sides of the isolation (ER or fiber link). External clock boxes are notorious for this.

Blockquote