Windows 10 and Studio's bit-depth reporting (see signal path) / ASIO sound driver

What was reported on Studio’s screen?

It wasn’t on my Mac with studio.
It was on my PC and with my iPhone.

The USB reported 384 KHz limitation is specific to macOS and Linux. It’s because of the way USB was implemented in these OS’.

I was refering to my log file in my message above, that reports the DAC’s characteristics…

I don’t know but you can search the forums and you’ll find this statement. Could be somehow related to the way USB audio interface works. I don’t see a reason for concern, since your DAC confirms that the stream is in the original resolution.

What you said in bold is wrong:

The USB interface has no such limitation.
This limitation exists only in macOS and in Linux. It’s because of the way USB was implemented in these two OS’s.

This limitation does not apply to my PC nor to my iPhone (iOS).

What happens when I use a DAC without a display? Other software has no problem reporting what is sent to the DAC.

Sorry, It’s my DAC that has the limitation.

1 Like

Nothing, you just have to trust that Audirvana is sending the file unaltered. :slight_smile:

Then why report “DAC: 32/44.1kHz Stereo” on the right on Studio’s screen? it’s confusing and inaccurate.

Well, what’s the point of repeating the same information you see on the left? It doesn’t give you any further insight. To a certain point I will agree with you, I also asked this question when I started using Audirvana. I guess I got used in the meantime.

Again, the information on the left is the music file’s characteristics, not necessarily what is being sent to the DAC.

1 Like

If you’re playing bit-perfect it’s exactly the same, so why bother? I don’t think that other apps are detecting outbound stream. The file format information is just repeated.

@Antoine needs to clarify or correct the numbers on the right side of the screen.

It’s not exactly the same.
When I play a Red Book without upsampling, I get 16/44 in the left side of AS. This indicates what file is played.
On the right side, I get 32-44. This is supposed to indicate what is the output to the DAC.

lucretius proves that for his DAC the display of the bit-depth, on the right side of AS, is wrong.
May Dac does not display the bit-depth it receives from AS, so i can’t verify if the display of AS is correct or not.

1 Like

It is the same. Some users with RME DACs have verified this, even though they’re reporting an issue with 24 bit PCM on Windows version of Audirvana. The MAC version plays all bit depths correctly. Not sure what’s the problem with the Windows version in 24bit or it’s maybe a detection issue on the RME side.

I don’t need Studio to detect the outbound stream. I need Studio to tell me what it is sending to my DAC – no detection required.

You say “It’s the same”.

I tell you that in what you call bit-perfect, and what should be more accurately called un-upsampled mode, it’s not the same in the display on my Mac.
For a Red Book track, I get a 16 bit-depth on the left, and 32 bit-depth on the right. So, it’s not the same.

EDIT
I don’t mind getting 32 Bits instead of 16 Bits, but unlike lucretius, I can’t check with my DAC what I actually get.

RME calls it also bit-perfect. They have a collection of sample files that when played the DAC will tell you if it’s getting exactly what the file is supposed to be. This happens regardless of what Audirvana show for bit-depth on lower right. So we can assume it’s bit-perfect.

It’s not just about sending bit-perfect streams to the DAC; Studio should tell us what it is sending to the DAC even when it’s upsampling or performing any other DSP on the file before sending it to the DAC.

1 Like

First, I don’t know who is RME.

Second, we call by commodity “bit-perfect” the un-upsampled mode.
You suppose that if you upsample a 16-44.1 track to 32-768 it won’t be bit-perfect. You’re wrong. Upsampling does not alter the sound. It’s not like EQ. The playback will remain Bit-perfect if it is correctly upsampled. My Dac, for instance, is guaranteed bit-perfect all along the chain of its upsampling.

Third, if the 16 bit-depth track is output in a bit-depth of 24 bit or 32 bit, it remains bit-perfect.

1 Like