Yate vs Audirvana for tagging?

Who is using a Mac and has feedback to share on Pros and Cons of using Yate vs Audirvana for tagging?
Obviously Yate is much more powerful, but most of us prefer being able to do everything within one single software and not have to juggle between many software when managing large music volumes. With Audirvana being able to edit tags too, I wonder what most of you typically use?

Also, please share any tips you use in your workflow, from getting new music files from somewhere, to listening them, selecting them, tagging them consistently with your library, and finally adding them officially to your library.

Thanks!

1 Like

I use Yate exclusively, and have been for about 2 years now. What I really like about doing all my tagging in Yate as opposed to Audirvana is A) the ability to very quickly and easily drag multiple folders into Yate for tagging a bunch of things in a single session, B) the larger space of the UI is just more convenient to use… it’s a lot of scrolling up and down in the much smaller tag window in Audirvana, C) and this is the big one… automated actions in Yate are unmatched by anything else I’ve ever used. There are a lot of power auto-naming, auto-replacing, features in Yate that you simply cannot do in Audirvana.

For example… I find file names all the time that are in ALL CAPS. I can use Yate to rename the file by capitalizing each first letter (or some other parameter if you like), and then tell it to take the new file name and translate it to the track title tag. Or you can go vice-versa. Set this “action” to a user assigned button, and click once to make it all happen automatically.

Another feature I use almost every day of my life, is having Yate rename the files according to the track title tag, and then rename the containing folder (I use “Album Artist - Year - Album Title”) Audirvana just can’t provide this level of customization and automation when it comes to music library management.

If your tagging and organizing needs are much more limited, Audirvana does a fine job of simply tagging files, adding artwork, etc.

I do use both, but Yate is my primary for sure. Hope you find this helpful.

Peace
-Scot

1 Like

Super useful!!! Thanks Scot!
I have not dug into actions yet but it seemed almost too advanced for what i needed
Any good tutorial out there on Actions?

1 Like

For me the answer is easy and clear: tagging with Yate - listening with Audirvana.
Needs some work to get used to it, but afterwards you will be able to manage almost everything and you will not be disappointed.
Included with Yate the best software support I ever experienced within many, many years (… don’t tell further).

1 Like

I would like to get involved with using Yate, but I am having a hard time to find out what this thing is doing. So far, I used MusicBrainz Picard and to me, it looks OK. I am somewhat overwhelmed with all those Yate options.

1 Like

Never heard about Yate until now, and one thing I might have missed from their lengthy feature list; does it do classical “works” like iTunes - or just “songs” ?

Thanks,

1 Like

I suggest a test of the support of Yate with asking your question there (I don’t understand clearly your question). Additionally to download the 14 days free trial of the software.

2 Likes

Normally I use Jaikoz to tag. In the past I used Yate for DSD files because Jaikoz was unable to manage it. Now that Jaikoz can tag also the DSD there is no anymore raison to use Yate.
My workflow to add music is simple:
Rip with XLD (or download the digital file from Qobuz or other web site).
Open with Jaikoz to normalise the data and the structure of the directories (composer/title/performers)
Transfer the music files to the NAS
Sync the Audirvana library

2 Likes

There isn’t a step where you listen to the new albim to see if it’s a keep or kill, before you add it to the library?

1 Like

If I got the file is because I want it. I can have heard it in a cd, radio, streaming service or any other channel.
I don’t buy a cd or a dematerialised music before to know if I like it or not.

1 Like

New to Audirvana (v.3.5 on 10.14.6). Love it!

My apologies for starting another thread before I found and read this one (would still appreciate a reply there, please, though).

It looks as though I should investigate Yate and Jaikoz; thanks!

Any disadvantages?

My main concern is integrity, stability etc: not doing anything (outside Audirvana) which could compromise the environment and/or integration with Audirvana.

Are Yate and Jaikoz designed exclusively for (high-resolution) music/sound/audio files - which is what I am using Audirvana for, with classical music?

Anyone care to offer an opinion, please, on which is better, more robust, better-supported, likely to be here in five years’ time :slight_smile:.

Thanks!

You may want to check also Picard from MusicBrainz:
https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

It’s a bit simpler and easier to use. In addition to that it’s free.

I do agree with everything @giantporpoise described, I’m using Yate too and I find it perfect, much better than using Audirvana for tagging

1 Like

Does anyone know where to find a decent manual? I’m still struggling with Yate, though I sense its potential.

1 Like

If you have already installed it click on help in the menu bar and then on Yate help.
… from the help panel in menu bar you can access to a lot of informations about the tool

1 Like

Thanks, will look into it!

1 Like

Thanks, @bitracer! Will look into that too.

One thing I’ve learnt from everyone who’s kindly posted here is that I should definitely work on metatags outside Audirvarna; and that it’s safe (indeed it’s good practice) to do so :slight_smile: . That’s really helpful - thanks!

tbh, there is a lot you can do inside Audirvana, regarding tagging. Not the best, but it does 90% of what you need.
Only thing i do outside of A is pulling tags from online libraries like Music Brainz, for some weird albums…

1 Like

Thanks, @danberilloux! I’m getting to know Yate quote well…

1 Like