1) Options for Audirvana 3.5.users? 2) The subscription model

if 3.5 license is lifetime then from where we download 3.5 in case of reinstalling windows?

From the ‘Assistance’ page on the official Audirvana Website.

Edit:
Sorry I did not gave a direct link, because all the direct links I got where invalid by the time I used them. Therefore it is the best option to get the link directly from Audirvana’s site (and yes it is there if you look for it on the Assistance page).

https://audirvana.com/delivery/AudirvanaWindows.php

Save this link. It will open the online installer for the Windows version of 3.5

thank you

I suppose the definition of “library management” is different for everyone, but the Finder controls all library management for me.

I don’t have a massive digital library, which is definitely a factor.

I made and maintain my music library by hand in the Finder.

1 Like

I’m OK with subscription model. I’d like the choice of paying double subscription for five years and then lifetime purchase (say $200) to own like I did the original.

Hi Gorch,
how do you describe the significant improvement when using Kernel-Streaming? What DAC do you use? What model are your loudspeakers? Thanks in advance for a replay since I am interested in the Kernel-Streaming but don´t know whether it´s worth.
Up to now I am not able to get AS downloaded with the URL they gave to me.

Hi Sven,

to me the kernel streaming appears much clearer compared to ASIO or WASAPI. Actually, I 1:1 compare to my vinyl signal chain. With ASIO and WASAPI vinyl appeared having had a slight advantage in clarity and detail. With kernal streaming this advantage seems not only having been lost, but turned into a slight advantage for digital.

I’m listening to all sorts of music spanning almost any modern style like rock, blues, jazz and electronic back into classic. I’m also making music myself. Will say, my ear knows original instrument and recording.

So my perception goes right now. To me, it had been worth switching to Studio. The software clearly has room to grow, however, since I downloaded it had updates already. And I assume that continuous development and updates will follow.

The other day I downloaded a DSD512 album from NativeDSD Music. The files played nicely and sound perfectly natural.

Hi Gorch, thank you for the sound description. Myself I also play tunes from NativeDSD which some of are of excellent clarity. Listening Rock, Rockabilly, Blues and some Jazz basically my own CDs ripped with dbPoweramp CD Ripper. Using Audirvana 3.5 and WASAPI on Win10. The sound is related to the kind of music very good and one can hear the differences of the variuous recordings. So to say my Stereo is better than many of the CD´s recording quality. What I did not get is what loudspeaker do you use or is it earphones? This would be beneficial for me to justify the reproduced sound quality compared to my equipment. What do you mean with Vinyl signal chain. Is it playing real vinyl LP discs or were these digitized? According to my experience many vinyl discs have a lot of flaws kike distortion and tonal misaligment as well the signal went through a compressor prior to cutting the disc master. This is mostly not the case if the whole process was digital like NativeDSD does it for their own studio recording.

But don’t expect a cheap upgrade price when a new version comes out.

So Jim, to paraphrase your post: “You don’t know that, and I suspect that is incorrect”.

I think the fact neither of us actually “know” is the correct answer to this conundrum.

3 Likes

Here is the beauty of buying a master license. I don’t have to upgrade if I don’t want to. And I can still use my current version as long as I want. So if I am happy with the sound quality that I get now, why do I need to upgrade anyway?

3 Likes

Maybe, Maybe not. The software will not be supported for ever (I think the last version was supported for 2 years*). After support has ended, if during this time, an OS or driver upgrade caused the software to stop working, you may well be out of luck.

I owned the license for HQPlayer version 3 for 2 years when version 4 was introduced. HQPlayer 3 still works but various annoying things that should have been fixed (re library and interface) in that version were not.

I’m still using the old V3 of HQPlayer, and it runs perfectly on Big Sur.
And I’m still running A+ 2.5 on Big Sur. It runs better than AS. It’s free of bugs, and never crushes.

1 Like

Will it work on an M1 machine?

3.5 is already native on M1 and on Big Sur

1 Like

Yes, it should.
M1 Macs have Rosetta that allows to intel apps to run as they were native. There might be a small difference in speed versus a native app, but these Macs are so powerful that they often run Intel apps faster than the Intel Macs.

They had the arm64 build for Mac M1 available for a while.

2 Likes

I will probably upgrade when I’ll buy an Apple Silicon Mac.

1 Like

Let me put it this way. As subjective as it is, HQPlayer sounds superior to AS as far as I’m concerned. Secondly, I found the developer of HQPlayer very helpful. He responded to my questions promptly and provided additional information to help me search for better sound.

The master license I have even allowed me to use on the Linus OS system. The customer service and the help I received worth every penny I paid for the HQPlayer master license.

As to the continuing support beyond two years, as long as Windows 10 doesn’t morph into something completely different, I’m sure it will last more than five years. Think about it, if HQPlayer works to my satisfaction now, I won’t need any active support anyway. So, it is okay if the developer no longer “actively” supports V4 in 2024. As to the “driver” update, that will come from the DAC I’m using. So, no, I am not worried about the long-term support.