Windows 10 and Studio's bit-depth reporting (see signal path) / ASIO sound driver

Hello @lucretius ,

Base on the info your device is giving to us in ASIO:

It support 32 bit in ASIO. Actually we send the track at the maximum bit-depth possible. Can you send a screenshot of your device display while you are playing a track using ASIO in Studio?

Here is a pic of the DAC, while Studio is playing file:

Here is a pic of Studio, while file is playing:

Note that Studio reports 32 bit, while the DAC reports 16 bit.

I note that a lot of software players get this wrong (some default to sending 16 bit and other default to sending 32 bit --Audacity is an example of the latter (Audacity sends 32 bit even when you tell it to send 16 bit). So to test the DAC, I had to use reliable software; I used HQPlayer. When HQPlayer sent 16 bit to the DAC, the DAC displayed 16 bit correctly (just like the first pic). When HQPlayer sent 32 bit to the DAC, the DAC correctly displayed 32 bit as displayed here:

So, I have demonstrated that the DAC does change bit depth as appropriate.

Here is a related question: Why does Studio default to sending 32 bit? What if I want Studio to send the stream to the DAC at the same bit depth as the file? I want to send 16 bit files to the DAC at 16 bit, 24 bit files at 24 bit, and 32 bit files at 32 bit.

1 Like

You have the same quastion what I already asked as an starting thread and I still didnt know how I can do that too and I posted pictures and I copy pasted all the informations what the software told me for help solving my problem.

Bit depth en bit rate are different things.

Depth. It is not a problem to send 16 bit file as a 24 or 32 to the DAC.

Changing samplerate is something else. Filtering is needed to resample. It will never be bitperfect.

Sorry, I meant bit depth (not bit rate – I corrected my post above). And it is a problem with Studio and my DAC (as described above). YMMV.

I have a cheaper DAC (an inline with acoustic tube, connected via usb and AC adapter). Very satisfied because i have a low budget, but anyway sounds great (32/384 max / dsd 128).

When I use ASIO the preferred setings in the BRAVO-HD app are used (16, 24, 32).

When I use other modes (Kernel or WASAPI) if I don’t use upsampling of course I have the same values on left and right and on the DAC (a regular 16/44.1 is the same on output and DAC, 24/192 is the same displayed in all three places etc.)

This has been addressed couple of times already. Audirvana claims that what you see in the lower right corner is the bit depth the USB audio interface provides. This is confirmed by your DAC, so it’s all good.

You are mistaken. Studio confirms 32 bit and my DAC confirms 16 bit. The pic where the DAC shows 32 bit relates to testing with HQPlayer (to ensure my DAC is working correctly).

Yes, the 32 is the bit width the USB interface is reporting. That’s what is shown on the right.

It is what Studio is reporting, Yet my DAC receives 16 bit. When I use HQPlayer to send 32 bit, my DAC actually reports 32 bit.

Yep, consider it the max bit depth the USB audio interface can accept.

It is indeed the max bit depth my DAC can accept. But according to @Antoine, “we send the track at the maximum bit-depth possible.” That’s just not happening.

I don’t know what’s that supposed to mean. The whole point of Audirvana is to play „bit-perfect“.

You need to ask @Antoine that question.

I would like Studio to report the actual bit-depth (and bit-rate) it is sending to the DAC.

What does the workflow say?

It would be the same as what you see on the left, unless you upsample.

What I see on the left is the file characteristics. It’s not a report of what is sent to the DAC. What I see on the right is “DAC: 32/44.1kHz Stereo”. While the 32 bit depth is the max bit depth of my DAC, the 44.1 kHz is NOT the max bit rateof my DAC (that would be 384 kHz as reported in the Studio log file I posted above). @Antoine seems to think that the numbers on the right is what should be sent to the DAC. The only exception is when no track is playing – then the numbers on the right represent the max values.

He addressed that previously. The bit depth is that on the right is the bit depth the USB interface is reporting and the sample rate is actual sample rate being played. You could very well confirm this, by looking at what your DAC is reporting.

It’s wrong. I played PCM files that were upsampled and output to 768 KHz with my USB DAC.

That doesn’t make sense. Why report the max bit depth together with the actual bit rate? @Antoine did not mention this to me in his message to me above.