Add Chromecast support

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Well AppleTV 4k is probably not a solution for pure audio playback… An AirPlay capable network player DAC would be a better choice, I believe the macOS can stream to multiple AirPlay devices simultaneously

1 Like

I haven’t tried it with macOS yet. But my iPhone can play to both the HK speakers in AirPlay mode at once. The only downside is that it plays as double mono this way. That’s the reason that in the Google Home app I had to setup a home group where I could set up the speakers as a stereo pair. But this means that stereo only works as a ChromeCast. And macOS and iOS don’t seem to pick that up. Roon and Chrome on any of my computers do.

For watching movies ChromeCast would not be a good idea though. I’ve tried watching YouTube on both my MacBooks. And in both cases the audio would lag a few seconds behind. But that doesn’t matter when I’m streaming Qobuz or Apple Music, or when listening to my local collection.

That’s interesting about the stereo pairing, I did go to the owners manual and confirm no stereo with airplay, you can use Bluetooth in stereo from what I understood. They look like nice units, just for fyi I have a pair of Sonos One’s that I like a lot they pair using the Sonos app and airplay in stereo with Qobuz very well. These types of gear are very enjoyable not just background noise IMHO, maybe not “Audiophile “ enough for critical listening………I’m just a music fan I guess in the end after all.

1 Like

That’s quite a good idea, bypass the UPNP problems. AirPlay Two is fine for my admittedly mid-fi need’s away from the “Audiophile” room, Denon AVR and Sonos and other like gear would work well that way. Make the Audirvāna remote app useful as well. Hopefully the Audirvāna team is listening.

1 Like

Stereo with Qobuz works if I access Qobuz through either Roon or Chrome. Same goes with Apple Music using Chrome. Apple Music on my MacBook also allows to access both speakers at once. But just as with the iPhone, it treats the speakers as 2 separate AirPlay devices and again double mono output.

Roon recognizes both speakers as AirPlay capable as well. And I can connect to them separately or use the ChromeCast option to have them play as a stereo pair.

Sadly Audirvana Studio doesn’t recognize them all. Neither as ChromeCast nor AirPlay… While macOS does recognize them as AirPlay devices.

I’ve named them Huiskamer Links and Huiskamer Rechts (Living Room Left and Living Room Right) in Dutch.

1 Like

How about connecting your iPhone via Bluetooth and streaming Qobuz app via Bluetooth? Is that a bit wonky? Seems that Harman Kardon would need to address this issue with a firmware update. Are yours the MKII units?

I haven’t tried Bluetooth yet. When it comes to the speakers themselves. They are the MKII’s and during the initial setup through Google Home they got automatically updated to the latest firmware.

Bluetooth probably the least elegant solution but handy when you want some music conveniently just using phone or iPad. MKII is current unit so hopefully they will update it, you should ping their support about this.

@Agoldnear , those are certainly the top shelf usb cables. I’m going to imagine that the gear that they connect is quite “Audiophile “ quality. Would you care to please elaborate as to your DAC, amplification, speakers and headphones that comprise your “reference system “ I always like to see the top shelf stuff on the Audiophile/Stereophile website but never really have had a chance to audition it at home. I probably couldn’t trade all my gear for one of those systems but I do like vintage gear as well. Maybe someday :thinking:

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:@OffRode @sandsOfArrakis

Let’s let Paul from PS Audio define “What is an Audiophile?”

@OffRode

My system architecture is irrelevant and any discussion regarding subjective sound-quality of any given component or amalgamation of components of a playback system is moot. Experiencing the system as configured in the electromechanical environment in-which it is being auditioned, is the ultimate benchmark for contextual qualitative assessments. Everything else is just a matter of subjective biases…

Here’s the link to a description of my system I posted awhile back:

Currently using macOS 12.5 “Monterey” and Audirvana Studio 1.13.3

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Isn’t the connotative interpretation of the word “meaningful” a subjectively personal thing? Isn’t the perceptual interpretation of one’s audio system a subjectively personal thing?

1 Like

I guess that’s the best definition one could hope for :roll_eyes: What the heck ever that was??? I hope the book is a bit more succinct.

I do remember that your location has really challenging power and noise issues thus the need for lots of equipment to overcome these problems. I did see the teac DAC you recommended recently, very capable looking unit. I’m still curious if you use amplification or not? ( direct from DAC perhaps? ) and I’m positive that you must be using speakers and headphones :headphones: Unless you have some type of direct connection to your cranial dome that’s top secret?

If you are testing prototypes I understand maybe a NDA agreement.

Certain amalgamation of different equipment can hit a sweet spot and doesn’t need to be crazy expensive, it’s just tough to understand how they will mesh for you until you test at home with your “reference “ recordings

That’s some great perspective @Jim_F absolutely good to keep things in balance and remember the big picture.

WWJD

1 Like

I think what I got was that the point of diminishing return in this hobby is very easily found. You won’t get any argument from me on that. :+1:t2:

That money wasn’t wasted, those life experiences are priceless

1 Like

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:@OffRode

[(Note:) In case you didn’t see it… I provided above, in a previous response to you, the link to a description of my system)]

I do live in a city, Bellingham, WA surrounded with RF potential interference…

Actually, I have a very benign power and noise issue, however, within a couple of miles of an FM radio station… so, screening and grounding/earthing scheme is vigorously attended to… I have very stable mains power (generally averaging 123v-125v), and use a 2-layer conditioning scheme along with the ADD Powr eau2 on the mains feed… My noise floor is near ‘deep-space black’. with the amp un-attenuated.

My HPA is a Class-A TEAC HA-501 Dual Mono design with variable impedance control, connected to my TEAC UD-501 Dual-Mono DAC via a pair of 9" DH Labs balanced interconnects with DH Labs 99.99% purity, solid copper balanced connectors, that I built myself… My headphone cable I built myself, is DH Labs with Bourns copper/gold connectors… My current headphones are a highly custom modified (by me) circumaural (around the ear) closed-back set (approximately 32 Ohms, frequency response is approximately 10Hz - 30kHz stock)… I don’t want to disclose the manufacturer of these, because I will get inundated with speculative inquiries… I use a #61 Ferrite filter about 7" from the HPA-side connector which is 1/4" TRS.

I use #61 + #31 ferrite filters, on the inline transformer power-cable feeds that power my Thunderbolt expansion chassis and my HDD and my computer power… and a single #31 ferrite filter on the HDD USB 3.0 cable feeding the MacBook Pro (just a decent USB cable) not expensive, but well made. Everything is star-grounded to the power distribution/filtering. this include my home network, TV, AppleTV, Yamaha receiver, etc… no lighting or other electromechanical devices on the playback system power architecture… When listening I generally turn off my refrigerator, to eliminate it from causing power ripples… As I outlined in the system description, my cable-internet feed passes through a Jensen isolation transformer to remove any potential ground noise interference.

This is the main Audirvana set-up… I play 5.1 SACD and 5.1 DVD-A through a different system using virtualization that employs Firewire to the MBP and the computer feeds the DAC/HPA reference system that I described above… The SACD player is a Marantz multi-format player that feeds 6-channel analog out, into 6-channels of my DAW interface (Focusrite) running Logic Pro, hosting Waves Audio “Abbey Road Studio 3” AU plugin for surround virtualization at 24/96kHz and this signal is then subsequently up-sampled to 24/192kHz in the UD-501…

There you have it…

(Edit)–
Oh yeah… I forgot that I employ my custom designed stereo “tactile sub-woofer” removable seat-back (built by me), that is powered by a class A/B amp, receiving it’s signal from the variable output of the HA-501 HPA… I always use this when auditioning critically… :wink:

Let’s hear more from Paul as to his opinion on “What skills do audiophile’s require?”

That gives me more clear impression of what your system is, your most esoteric ( to me at least) is about your emi/rfi interference issues. Your gear as far a Marantz and TEAC makes complete sense to me. I was thinking perhaps you had some of that Stereophile magazine stuff :joy::wink::rofl:. Not that there would be anything wrong with that. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0648/5016/6013/products/5-Lina-System-Gallery---1.jpg?v=1655728694

I agree completely with Paul, Crusty bread is awesome :clap:

Wouldn’t it be very possible that a streamer using wireless could control emi/rfi very well by eliminating all those cables with their passive antenna possibilities? That’s a great bonus to wireless imho having worked with RF comm systems and the interference issues.

Let’s just say that I’m searching for the ultimate “deep-space black” noise-floor…Wireless is not ready for prime-time in my world… to many “gotcha’s”… Short cables are not as problematic as long cables and galvanic isolation or optical isolation pretty much obviate RF and EMF affects on the signal integrity.

Kick :slight_smile:

I’ve been experimenting here. And I have finally got AS playing through my Chromecast connected Harman Kardon speakers.

I’ve installed BubbleUPnP server on my MacBook Air. Enabled the options to create both a DLNA renderer and an OpenHome renderer. Selected the stereo group I’ve made in the Google Home app. And AS now shows “Bubblesoft Harman Kardon Stereo (DLNA)” as an output device. And plays.

Now to give it a stress test and see how stable it is.

2 Likes

Well Qobuz has been streaming here all morning without a drop, hiccup or skip. So it seems it works as it should. Just wish Audirvana had build in support for Chromecast itself, so you don’t have to resort to 3rd party stuff. Although setting up BubbleUPnP is a very easy thing to do. They have a well written manual online.

AS on my MacBook Air (through Screen Sharing). BubbleUPnP supports Qobuz up to 24 bits 192 kHz. Which is very nice :smile:

So yeah. I’m very happy with the results :smile:

1 Like