Album Artists sort criteria needs fixing

In Audirvana Studio (OSX 12.6.3) selecting Album Artists as album sort criteria places artists such as The Animals, The Allman Brothers etc under “T”. In my opinion they should be sorted under “A”, The Beatles should be under “B”, The Marshall Tucker Band should be under “M” and so on…
Please correct this in your next software update.

Sort options are already there:
In Audirvana select an album and click on ‘Edit Metadata’. There you can define the sort order per Album.

Even better for your use case: You can also go to ‘Artists’ and click ‘Edit Metadata’ there and define a sort order per artist. In this case I took the Beatles as an example.

What do you need to be corrected about these options?

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. I know sorting options can be trimmed in metadata, but I have 200+ artists / bands with “The” in the name… It would be nicer if words like “The” were automatically ignored in basic Album Artists sorting like in Roon, for example.

Where would you find ‘The The’?

2 Likes

Dark Alley, London

2 Likes

Hi @Bengtgor

The name of the band is “The Rolling Stones” not “Rolling Stones” and “The Allman Brothers” not Allman Brothers".

“Lord God Almighty” is not “The Lord God Almighty”.

It’s a nuscence and you Dan change it in the sort order (see post below) but it’s a big job.

Hope that clears things up.

Regards

Phil

2 Likes

What about “The Eagles” ?

Hi @OffRode

“Eagles” is the correct name for the group called Eagles.

If you say the Eagles you are not saying The Eagles.

Unfortunately others (read: none) are as pedantic as I.

Regards

Phil

2 Likes

Your a good student grasshopper :joy::wink::rofl:

Next one will be harder.

1 Like

Mercy please.

2 Likes

Your point taken, Phil. We have The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers and so on and then we have Cream, Eagles and others without the “The”. But in my album artists lists I prefer sorting based on the first word which differentiates names of the artists / bands.

Regards

-Pentti

1 Like

I pretty much am as pedantic as you. I agree. There’s an important distinction between the ??? and The ???.

1 Like

Which, of course, is your prerogative. But to have Audirvana automatically change the names of bands/ artists is not the solution.

1 Like

Hi Pentti

It’s a pain. I do it, it takes ages, edpecially I itially, but I manually use the “Sort as” section to organise all my albums.

It’s easier now because I do all the metadata stuff as I add each album.

I also alter the Genre because every supplier has a “house” style that is definately “wrong” in my eyes, but that’s the world-wide-way my son.

I can’t see any way around except this elution.

Hope you join my band-wagon. I’m feeling a bit lonely.

Regards

Phil

2 Likes

Genre, that’s a whole other rabbit hole!

1 Like

Yes, Phil… I can see myself joining your bandwagon. But then again, there are cases such as The Who, who I’m not sorting as Who, The :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Correcting those manually will take you probably a couple of hours. Waiting for Audirvana to add this feature will take much much longer (Months? Years? Never?).

See also the post of @philipjohnson. If ‘The’ would be ignored automatically of everything you will also end up with a lot of names where you don’t want that and then you’ll end up correcting those artists/exceptions manually anyway.
Roon has a staff which curates the meta data manually to smooth out all those glitches. Audirvana is a much smaller company.

2 Likes