Audirvana 3.5.5 duplicating files

Hi all,

I’m running Audirvana 3.5.5 and after years of flawless operation it just recently started duplicating albums in my library. I’ve tried deleting them from the library and my (external) HD and reloading but the problem often persists or happens again. I dont use or sync with Itunes at all.

Is there a recommended procedure I can follow to get a fix for this?

Thanks. P

Mac or PC ?
You have many playlists? favorites? you love seeing you play counts for albums?
how many albums you have?

You saw many doubles or just a couple?

I see up there you seems to be on a Mac…
Easiest way is to start your database again… from scratch.
if you answer my post before this one… you can wait for another answer from me or others, if not, do that here :slight_smile:

Big text, but fast doing it…

Remove duplicates by deleting those files…

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder… when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back in one shot. sadly to this day, the folders they were in if so, are not back, you have to do them again…

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System… When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there, just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom… click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Starting new:

Go in Audirvana preferences panel then remove your sync folder(s) there (all the folder(s) of music you have there) delete them with minus sign.

Close Audirvana.

Go to User… Your Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder… Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not), don’t back it up… it as doubles :slight_smile:

Restart Mac.

Open Audirvana, choose a music folder to sync at first it will sync in top middle of main window… LET IT GO, even better don’t try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while it is not finished… you’ll see the progress bar going… Could be long the first time depending on how large your library is, and Mac is fast or not… go to sleep if it is too long :slight_smile:

Then when finished, shut down Audirvana, yes close it before playing a song… That way you will have your database from scratch saved without crashing, Then copy the .sqlite file to somewhere else as a backup, after open Audirvana, and try to play a song. it will to install System Optimizer…

When all is set, import back your playlists that you saved earlier, you can reload them in one shot selecting first and last in the window. Then, when loaded, you can shut down again Audirvana… copy the database .sqlite again as a NEW backup…

if something go wrong AGAIN… you just have to put the database backup to replace to faulty one… it will reopen at the time of your last database backup… so do it regurlaly if you do often editing… When you put a backup database .sqlite, you will lose all the play counts of music files that played between the one you trash and the backup you put to replace… so i backup up a lot the .sqlite file :slight_smile:

Hi, apologies for the delayed response. No, I have no playlists or favourites. I have about 1.2TB worth of files on an external hard drive. I’d noticed Audirvana didn’t seem itself for some time, but the duplicates occurred recently when I came to clean up my library with higher res imagery and more precise tagging, etc. Its affected about 10 - 15 albums, all of which I had worked on in some way.

Hi, thanks for the advice, I’ll give this a try and get back to you all.

Hi, Just one thing, what is the best way to delete the duplicate files? I tried before deleting through Audirvana preferences and it removed the files from my external hard drive and threw them in the trash. Luckily I was able to drag them out.

i never had doubles, but ghost files, when clicking a song in track view, the path of the song suddenly change to volume/ before the real path, then it became a grey double that can’t play, often clicking the next will had that volume/ path also… then, you are stuck with them.

recently it happened again from nowhere on 2 albums, one track and two tracks from the other. i selected them in tracks view and right click them and delete them, after went into the library prefs to see those deleted files, make a copy of those albums to my desktop first, then delete the one in the Audirvana bin… yes it put the files in your mac trash… but have made a copy before :slight_smile:

This issue has been discussed in an older thread. For me the the problem went away when I began using hard-drives with a file system the mac can write to (AFS, exFat). With the external drives using NTFS (I use a PC for ripping/archiving) A+ 3.5 were randomly showing duplicates of albums I had recently played.