Audirvana 3.5 and Yate

Do I understand this correctly that by using AS, it is impossible to circumvent MusicBrainz, regardless of the off-line tagged used?

And on the same line, isn’t Yate also logging into MusicBrainz?

I have hard time to fully understand the heratic behavior of AS, and how it really processes, but it is completely impossible to prevent it from displaying wrong metadata that it gathered from MusicBrainz, instead of the metadata that you input in your tags.
Look how wrong AS could be with the examples that were posted on Audiophile Style by this guy who tried AS.

AS processes with automated tagging, while Yate does something completely different.
With Yate, you can make it connect to MusicBrainz or Discogs and gather metadata. But Yate will never do it automatically, it’s an action that you initiate.

If you use Yate correctly, it will not replace the correct metadata of your input, by mistaken metadata. It can help you add metadata that the files lack, such as the catalog number of the album, the name of the label, the original release date… It can also add information that you don’t have on artistic collaborators, for instance…
But all along the processes, you have an upper hand, and you are the one who accepts or rejects what will be added to your tacks.

No, multiple tags will be created by mp3tag also via inputing value1\\value2\\value3 – i.e. mp3tag converts the string to multiple tags. Musicbrainz Picard also works like this (but uses a different separator). I am almost certain that Yate does something similar.

Here is my process:

1. The first tags the file receives is when I rip the CD with dBpoweramp.
  2. Then I use mp3tag to fill in some tags (with lookup into the Discogs and Musicbrainz databases via mp3tag)
  3. Then I use Musicbrainz Picard to fill in the rest of the tags and to correct some tags (if necessary).
  4. Then I “analyze” the file in JRiver Media Center to write the following tags:
    DYNAMIC RANGE (DR)
    DYNAMIC RANGE (R128)
    PEAK LEVEL (R128)
    PEAK LEVEL (SAMPLE)
    VOLUME LEVEL (R128)
    VOLUME LEVEL (REPLAYGAIN)
  5. Last, when I get around to it, I usually add the composers manually with mp3tag (because this tag is not often populated automatically).

You did ask. :smiley:

1 Like

Yate does not do it for me, but maybe there’s a setting that I don’t know, that can make it add these tags.
I use only some 30% of the features of Yate. It’s a very complex application with endless features, like MS Excel, and I never had the patience to explore all of them.

I asked you the question, because I understood from our discussions on other threads, that you are proceeding in a very methodical manner for tagging. I’m happy to read how you proceed, and to learn new things.

For steps 1 and 2, I do the same as you.

For step 3, I don’t understand what is its benefit, since you already input the metadata in steps 1 and 2. Which are the “rest of the tags” that Picard fills? And how it can correct some tags that were filled in steps 1 and 2?

I don’t apply your step 4. What is the benefit of it?

As for step 5, I add also the composers manually, but I do it in step 1 and 2. I do it only for classical music, and never for jazz or rock.

Picard adds additional tags like PRODUCER, RELEASETYPE, etc, as well as, specific Musicbrainz IDs.

Sometimes Picard will show (before writing) different values for tags already populated, and then I must choose the correct values.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip.
I never tried to use Picard. I’ll try it with some of my albums that are tagged already.

And for step 4, why do you care to set tags for all these values?

It is necessary if I turn on “volume leveling”. Also, I like to display the DR (Dynamic Range) value in the tracks listing.

I never use the volume leveling, but if I turn it on, it will be the player that will set these values without writing them to the files.

The player will have to take time to determine these values – for players that can read these values from the file, this delay can be avoided.

1 Like

True, I understand the benefit.

I like to add the composers for rock/pop/R&B; for “cover songs”*, I like to review the composer’s biography in Roon.

*Sometimes, it’s interesting to listen to (back-to-back) different artists’ rendition of the same song.

It’s a good idea to do that, but one should use Roon to fully benefit of it. Roon is unmatched by the others players for browsing the library and getting information from databases. Its only inconvenience is that it’s a subscription player.

Exhaustive workflow, very nice!

I basically start with MusicBrainz Picard Annonce tagged, I throw the album into mp3.tag and tag things like composer. Tedious but worth the effort.

Yate for the moment is too much a Biest for me, but I am working on it.

Well, my friends - and especially the ones who have helped me - I have spent some very productive time this past weekend getting to know Yate and how it works with Audirvana. Those who said they work well together were right, I think. Obviously, there are some limitations in terms how how Audirvana implements the tagging. But I’ve been able to outsmart it a few times - like making a double or triple album show up as a single image in the Library, for example, or getting rid of duplicates and putting tracks back in the correct play order where they’ve somehow come adrift. Now I’m just trying to master the way that Yate imports cover art… So it’s all good…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.