Audirvana Dance

One of the main gripes Audirvana’s users experience is the inability to globally save their Playlists, and the seemingly inevitable duplication of tracks in the database over time.

It is true that the simple removal of the path to the Music files in the preferences followed by its recreation is enough to regenerate Audirvana’s database, but the bother to get rid of the sometimes numerous remaining ghost tracks with the risk of losing original files in the process has reminded me that my time is more precious than my computer’s.

This is why I have setup a routine that regenerates the whole database without being too taxing or time consuming for the user. I apply this routine whenever Audirvana gives me grief.
Those familiar with Plex Server will understand why I call this routine the Audirvana Dance.

The first step is preparatory and consists in creating a “Blank” Audirvana database that you will save for future use.
This first step needs not be repeated when applying the Aurdirvana Dance in the future, unless your Playlists or Online services connections have been substantially modified over time.

The “Blank” database is obtained by suppressing any music path from the Preferences’ Monitored Folders section.
You will see all music disappear, save for a few ghost tracks that may have survived the cull.
You then erase the remaining ghost tracks in the usual way, making sure that it does not erase your original music files from their location.
Once all music has been erased, you are left with an empty database, but your Playlists are intact in your own layout, as well as your connections to Qobuz, Tidal, etc…
Now follow the Check, Index Rebuild, Defragmentation steps in Preferences.
Once back to Audirvana after the Defragmentation step, check you are satisfied with your Playlists, Connections, etc… and then leave Audirvana.

Check the path to you database sqlite file in the Preferences.
You just have now to make a backup copy of the “Blank” sqlite database and keep it somewhere safe for future use.

Now for the Aurivana Dance itself:

When you feel like regenerating Audirvana’s database, which happens to most of us at a point or another, just leave Audirvana.
Copy/Replace the existing sqlite databse with the “Blank” database prepared in the first step and launch Audirvana.

Check your Playlists are displayed (they would of course be empty of music), and check that you connection to Qobuz, Tidal, etc… are working.
Enter Preferences and re-create a path to the location of your music in the Monitored Folders section.
If you have manual playlists, it is important to have the same path to the music tracks as before, otherwise, it does not matter much if you have changed the location of your music files.

Let Audirvana add your music tracks. According to the size of your music collection this may take quite a while, and you may consider launching this step before a prolonged coffee break or at bedtime…

When it is all done, consider applying the Check, Index Rebuild and Defragmentation steps to the new database.

Et voilà! Fresh as new…

Doing this might be good, but you will always lost the play counts of your files…
like you never play them…

The best way i found was simply saved (copy) the .sqlite file somewhere else when Audirvana is close… the Playlists you have are saved in the .sqlite (should be the same i guess with tidal or quobuz i don’t use those services). So, when you database is good and working… like you said the 3 maintenance database things done. Close Audirvana and copy the .sqlite file in a folder as a today’s backup…

I play everyday in my tags and rearrange covers… so, i copy that file everyday in another folder…
The day that you don’t do it, Audirvana will bug :slight_smile:

If a bug occur, you just have to close Audirvana and put your last .sqlite backup file in the same place, and reopen Audirvana. You’ll be at the same point your backup was made…

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder…
when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back in one shot. sadly to this day, the folders
they were in if so, are not back, you have to do them again…

The file is here by default:
Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System… When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there, just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom… click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Dear RunHomeSlow,

I admit that I cannot remember ever using the play count, and you are right to point out that by doing the Audirvana Dance the user may lose the play count.

However, although I am convinced of its wisdom, I am not sure the daily backup procedure you describe serves the exact same purpose.
I gladly accept my limits, failing as I am to understand how a daily backup gets rid of the ghost/duplicate tracks that may have appeared in the database.
This is why I do the Audirvana Dance.

As for the play count, I remember what I heard the French say: “Quand on aime, on ne compte pas”

the ghost files or duplicates were not yesterday in your database for example…
Audirvana decided to bug today… add a slash for nothing before the file name resulting
as a double that cannot be play or a ghost that cannot be erased…

So, you just put your yesterday backup… and voilà no more ghost or duplicates…
you sync and your new albums since backup will be added.

Another good thing is to export every playlists you have to a folder on your mac or pc,
that way, again, if a bug messed up things, you can just add them all in one shot…
but export sadly is one at the time… (still in 3.5.43)

Dear RunHomeSlow,

In my experience, ghost/duplicate tracks tend to creep over time and sadly, do not advertise themselves.
Do you have a check of the database you backup any given day to be certain that it does not contain ghost or duplicate files?
I cannot understand how you could achieve that and would be happy to learn from you.

My setup is really simple. My database is perfect now.
no iTunes connection, no Internet connection like Tidal, no NAS.
All my tags are done, my playlists are all saved on my Mac in case.
i never delete files in Audirvana, i remove them from my music folder.

I have worked a lot to get there, and yes Audirvana messed my things
with ghost or duplicate for no reason a couple of times :slight_smile:

So now i know… i backup !

Today i could go to anybody’s home with 3 files and it would be the same setup for Audirvana that i have home… the .sqlite file and the 2 preferences files of Audirvana + my 4tb of music disc of course.
i just have to put the .sqlite on your Mac and the 2 prefs in the same place, connect my drive
and you open your Audirvana, it would be the same as is in my home, all is in the .sqlite and the 2 prefs.

I play everyday in Audirvana… tagging new albums, replacing tiny errors that i see,
replacing for better resolution old album covers that i didn’t care at the time.
i copy my .sqlite EVERYDAY if i made a change somewhere :slight_smile:

On my mac i have put the Audirvana folder for the .sqlite in my Mac Dock and the Mac Prefs folder too.
so it is easy when i want to copy them… On a Mac you can set your folder to open in a way and it will stick like it… i have prefs i keep and database from JRiver and HQPlayer also that i keep. Preferences doesn’t change often now that my setup is done, but the database that include the playlists you have made is what you don’t want to lose… i have in fact 2 folders that i backup my database on alternatively :slight_smile:

My MacMini has no display and i see Audirvana from Screen Sharing on a big 5k 27’’ iMac :slight_smile: on that iMac, i have a backup for my softwares installers, mp3 that i share on Internet sometimes, and on that backup disc, i have all Audirvana .dmg from the past and i put there regularly my database and prefs files, again just in case… so, if macmini crash or get stolen for examples i don’t have to redo all that. The good thing is that the tagging you made are done on the FLAC file itself

Today if i come back after a power failure, Audirvana crashed, i deleted a CD while it was playing for example… and i reopen Audirvana and see that i have ghost files or some Duplicates, i don’t care…
it is easy to close Audirvana and put my .sqlite file from last backup in the same folder on the Mac, replace and reopen Audirvana and i’m back exactly where i was with no bugs… i resync for the new albums to appear or the changes i made since the backup was made, and voilà :slight_smile:

ghost file, have something different in the name… like a / or \ … volume is different… can’t remember for sure… i don’t have them now :slight_smile: but you can see them like in this picture if you check the name where it is… like i said, this i don’t know how to cure that, so that is why i backup… when backup is good it stay good… i never have ghosts or duplicate now… and if yes… just put the last backup i have.

can’t post another in line, so i edit this one…

Do you have a check of the database you backup any given day to be certain that it does not contain ghost or duplicate files? I cannot understand how you could achieve that and would be happy to learn from you.

When you have ghosts and or duplicates that you know they are not doubles, i only found the cure by trashing the database .sqlite file… Restart Audirvana and by syncing, a new database is form clean, but like that you lose all your playlists if you didn’t save them elsewhere before, you lose also the play count number of you albums or track. Then, when it is clean and playlists are reloaded, you close and make a backup copy of the clean .sqlite file. After that you backup often and you know all stay clean without ghosts or duplicate :slight_smile: if it happens again, just put last clean backup.

Dear RunHomeSlow,

Thank you for your exhaustive explanations.

i just edited now the post with the tag panel opened picture…
didn’t see you was here could not post more then 3 times…

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.