Audirvana for PC not recognising Network player

Hi,

I have an ONKYO NS-6170 Network audio player. However I cannot use “Audirvana for PC” to play back music using the ONKYO. Audirvana recognises many other devices I have as a speaker, but not the ONKYO. Any ideas?

Hi gryffe!

You are using USB or LAN Connection? You already made the FW-Update? For LAN it will be Airplay, as it seems, sorry, have no experience with this. When using USB, front and back? Downloaded drivers?

Just my 2 cents :smiley:

BR,
BB

Hi thanks for reply BB. I am connecting via Wi-fi.
How do you use USB with Audirvana, I’m confused lol?
Not aware of FW(firewall?)update.

FW= firmware :wink: firewall is of cause always a subject, too. Check security center, antivirus software etc.

USB: USB cable from PC/laptop to Player (front or back, just test it), try and error, from product description I didnt get proper info, but Id guess, it should work.

Nice piece of equipment, has digital out…

BR,
BB

Thanks, yes has latest FW. Connection also allowed through Firewall. USB is only for connected USB drive, cannot be used to connect to PC.

Still stumped! :frowning:

Mmh… Let me understand a little more. It does work with its app? U tried Windows media player from the computer in question?
Your other speakers maybe are recognized in Windows as soundcards. I think, the Denon would be accessed via UPNP/DLNA, not AirPlay from Windows. Thus it is necessary to allow media streaming. The test with media player will show you, if it works.

BR,
BB

Hi sorry, been away for a few days.
Made a glimmer of progress in that I now hear a brief snatch of music when playing a song, but cuts off after about 2 seconds. I noticed that the bar at the bottom of Audirvana window (which displays the length of how long the song is) is blue before song starts playing, turns white when song starts and gets increasingly whiter (replacing the blue colour) to the end of the bar, and when reaches the end of bar the song cuts off. I am guessing it must be one of the settings within Audirvana that needs changed? I tried fiddling with a few settings but still problem exists. Any feedback greatly appreciated, thanks

Making more progress. The only songs I can get to play in full are Tidal songs that are in MQA quality. I have to change the setting to be “dac not detected as MQA, use as MQA decoder”. Songs on my hard drive connected to computer will not play at all
Audirvana obviously recognises the Onkyo Network player, but presumably needs some tinkering to play non MQA quality songs. Anybody else had similar problems?

Damien - I’m guessing you can solve this either way - eg I can never use the Onkyo with Audirvana, or yes I need to tinker with settings. Feel free to PM me if you wish

More progress :slight_smile:, but still limited to what I can play back.

I can now also play back absolutely anything with a bit depth of 16. The problem is when I try to play back anything at 24 bit. The maximum PCM rate I can go to is 48, if I increase to 96 or above the song just stutters to a halt.

Hi Damien,

Can you please offer me some advice. I asked for your assistance earlier in thread but presume you missed it. I have made progress but still feel I am not getting full use of Audirvana, mainly because I can not seem to play files any higher than 44.1 with a bit depth of 24. If I play 24 bit files at 96 or 192 the player either hangs, or just wont play the file. Any ideas, or is this a limitation I have to live with?

Hello gryffe -

What are the specs regarding the highest input resolution your player will accept? What are your resolution settings in A+?

Hi Jud,

Thanks for replying.

If by resolution settings in A+ you mean what are the PCM settings they are:

Maximum PCM rate = 192

Maximum PCM Bitdepth = 24

Here are the specs from the manual of my Onkyo NS-6170. I am using a Wired connection if this makes any difference. Most of my listening is done via the Tidal and Qobuz functions supplied by A+

Supported Audio Formats
For server playback and playback from a USB storage
device, this unit supports the following music file formats.
0 Note that playback via wireless LAN of sampling rates of
88.2 kHz or higher, and DSD are not supported.
0 Remote play of FLAC, and DSD is also not supported.
0 Variable bit-rate (VBR) files are supported. However,
playback times may not be displayed correctly.
0 Remote playback does not support the gapless playback.
MP3 (.mp3/.MP3):
0 Supported formats: MPEG-1/MPEG-2 Audio Layer-3
0 Supported sampling rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
0 Supported bitrates: Between 8 kbps and 320 kbps and
VBR.
WMA (.wma/.WMA):
VBR.
0 WMA Pro/Voice/WMA Lossless formats are not
supported
WAV (.wav/.WAV):
WAV files include uncompressed PCM digital audio.
0 Supported sampling rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz,
96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
0 Quantization bit: 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit
AIFF (.aiff/.aif/.aifc/.afc/.AIFF/.AIF/.AIFC/.AFC):
AIFF files include uncompressed PCM digital audio.
AAC (.aac/.m4a/.mp4/.3gp/.3g2/.AAC/.M4A/.MP4/.3GP/
.3G2):
0 Supported formats: MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio
96 kHz
VBR.
FLAC (.flac/.FLAC):
LPCM (Linear PCM):
0 Quantization bit: 16 bit
Apple Lossless (.m4a/.mp4/.M4A/.MP4):
0 Quantization bit: 16 bit, 24 bit
DSD (.dsf/.dff/.DSF/.DFF):
0 Supported formats: DSF/DSDIFF
0 Supported sampling rates: 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz

Hi gryffe -

Am I correct that you are playing back by streaming, that is, by wi-fi? It looks to me from the Onkyo specs as if it will not playback 88.2kHz or higher resolutions in that mode, so you would be limited to 44.1 and 48kHz, just as you have found. Let me know if I am mistaken as to the way you are sending audio to the player.

Jud