Audirvana Rescan/resynch

LOL. I did not think of Audirvana’s database defrag option :smile:

1 Like

Sorry. I now understand you meant defragging the database in Audirvana. I thought you meant defragging the (hard) drives in general. @RunHomeSlow just gave the correct answer for that :smile:

Here’s one for you guys:

Barbra Streisand has 2 albums in my music database, Simply Streisand and The Broadway Album. Here they are in the tagging database:

Here she is on my Artist screen:

And here she is after I click her:

Both album covers correctly represent their contents, but the covers appear twice for each album. No matter how many tag file saves and re-synch’s, she’s there twice for each album.

Audirvana is a very quirky tagging system, in my view.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sorry; here’s ol’ double-Barbra (hold the jokes, please) :grinning:

The first simply Streisand cover as no title.

On the other album drop the same cover on the two same album in Audirvana even if they look the same, and see

Are they .cue sheet in these album with the separate tracks? If yes remove them…

Thanks for your help here. Problem much simpler: 'ol Barbra was in different places in my music database.

I need to pay more attention to the listing of tags in this Tag Editor program. Do you fellows have a tag editor you prefer?

Thanks

Quick question: I

1. make changes to my tags
  2. save changes
  3. wait for audirvana to resynch.

Is there a screen refresh command?

Thanks

No. Prefs sync button.

Thanks

you can ask for it in the Studio beta 2 thread :slight_smile:

Done with tagging 600 GB of music. In my view, an exercise in frustration and the application of irregular rules in Audirvana. Have achieved something workable, but that’s all. I think Audirvana has a very long way to go in this functional area.

On the positive side, I tried out the same file in Roon, and it was even worse. And of course, with the Roon business model, you get no corporate support whatsoever, just the community forum. The difference with Audirvana is that the community forum actually tries to help, which is a huge advantage.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Clearly a work in progress, but what’s new?

1 Like

All the music player software I know depends very much on the consistency of the metadata. It does not matter if it is Roon, Audirvana, Foobar, JRiver etc. etc.
All have there own peculiarities when interpreting and showing the metadata. I don’t blame the software because it is almost impossible to do well.

The problem here is that there are no strict guidelines how metadata should be filled in music files. Even when there where strict guidelines: who is going to enforce them? Sites like MusicBrainz, Last FM etc. are a bit like Wiki and depend on volunteers who add and edit the metadata. Every volunteer has his/hers own ideas how to shape that data.

I am afraid it does not matter how much work developers of Audirvana (or Roon, Foobar. JRiver etc.) put in to develop code to present the files correctly, it will never be enough, because it is impossible to anticipate for all the inconcistencies.

There is a golden rule in developing software and that is “Garbage in, garbage out” and that rule applies here too.

In the end the only thing you (or me and others) can do is to edit your own metadata in such a way that it fits your own norms and the music player program you use.

All the music I buy/download etc. I first check with progams like MusicBrainz Picard and MP3Tag to ensure that basic info (Artist, Track numbers, Track titles, Album name, Genre, Cover picture) are present before copying them to my music library. It is a lot of work to do your whole library as you did, but after that it only gets easier, because you only have to edit new files :wink:

I completely agree with you. The metadata space is completely inconsistent, and sometimes just plain non-existent. In a nutshell, anybody and everybody put whatever pleased them into these fields.

To be fair–as a matter of data analysis–i think that the usage of the fields is very much open to interpretation and may lead to some of this inconsistency. For example, I can well imagine confusing Artist with Album Artist, and so on.

It would be easy to imagine that the job of populating the metadata fields was left to whoever was in charge of managing the computer infrastructure at the time, with little guidance enforced.

In short, it’s a mess, and you do the best you can with the software available, and I’m satisfied I got a workable, if not perfect solution, waiting there to be improved as time permits. And again, I appreciate the support that seems to go along with the Audirvana community. :grinning: