Audirvāna Studio Feedback

Thanks for sharing., Then Studio is not for me.

Matt

My files are also meticulously tagged.

2 Likes

My first impressions:

• great sound as usual
  • top right corner, tracks. Does not count down the tracks left to play
  • where can I save favorite radio stations?

Great work so far.
Dieter

There’s another problem with the Artists view. You see only the 5 characters of the name… for “The Dave Brubeck Quartet”, I get “The Da”… It’s impossible to tell who is this artist: “The Da”!

1 Like

command + or - on mac to get bigger cover or smaller, more or less name seen

1 Like

you can also tag this Artist to Dave Brubeck…
you see artist as Dave Brubeck Quintet? Dave Brubeck Solo? Dave Brubeck big Band…

Installed on a Macbook Air M1, 16GB version. A very significant improvement over 3.5 for me. Played on KEF LS50 II (airplay), Homepods (airplay), Airpods Max (airplay), Shure KSE1500 electrostats (audio connector). A few of my impressions;

Sound quality is great.
Setting output works better for me than in 3.5.
Love the new UI, used to get annoyed by large borders in 3.5 limiting space for album art
Still cant UPnP to KEF LS50 wireless II’s but that is a KEF implementation issue.

Waiting for the website setup being complete so I can subscribe. Thanks Damien and team!!

I don’t see my tidal playlists…:frowning:
Sound ok, but some tips for set up Chord Hugo2? I am beginner.

the application environment is fine, but it’s a bit slowly…

iMac 27” 5K

Late 2015

i7 4Ghz

32GB RAM

AS has been ‘analysing’ my files (approx 15,000) since yesterday evening, and still hasn’t reached 50%. I wonder if I’ll actually get to use the software before my trial expires?
Reading some of the comments on here, it seems like this new iteration of the software is as buggy as the last.
Think I’ll look into using it in about a year, when (hopefully) the majority of bugs have been eradicated.

1 Like

You are right, I see more characters with bigger covers. So I understood why I have so many Adele.
Instead of showing in Artist view the name of the Artist or of the Album Artist, AS shows the name of the composers of the trucks of Adele albums.

But this strange behavior does not apply to all the albums. Only to some of them.
And my tracks are correctly tagged.

Not improved.

Sound quality is questionable. 32bit playback is not possible.

ADI-2_Pro_BitTest2

Artist view can’t even be sorted.
And it’s annoying to have to click See All every time.

Can’t search only locally. Podcast and Radio can’t be disabled.

2 Likes

Your Kiis are supposed to be very resolving. So I don’t know what’s going on. I felt something was missing, so I did a comparison, same settings on 3.5 and Studio. The difference was not subtle to me; there was a veil that dulled vocals and took the edge off cymbals, reduced space and air, muted differences in timbre (listening to jazz and string quartet). 3.5 on a Mac is from another world. I can’t see the reason why the signal path for the Mac might have changed from one app to the other. The app was the only difference in the playback. If anybody else experiences this on a Mac, and knows the solution to tweak Studio, there’s a customer at stake!

1 Like

I will explain this tomorrow, many same cover, 3 am here, remind me :grinning:

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Matt

Thank you. I will remind you.

Can you even play a DSD file as DSD in kernel streaming mode?

Long thread; not sure whether this feedback has already been shared but here goes:

• When browsing my Tidal artists, sorting criteria are disabled and I cannot use any. Audirvana 3.5 allowed sorting criteria for Tidal and it was very handy, so I hope Studio will do the same.
  • When you open a Tidal artist’s page and top tracks are shown, it is not possible to change the width of any field (track name, duration, etc…) These fields are typically very narrow and do not allow for reading anything. The same is true for the list of your favorite Tidal tracks.
  • When you click “Playlists” under Tidal, it only shows those playlists that Tidal has or proposes but not my custom Tidal Playlists. Those should be at the very top of the page as they’re definitely my priority when clicking “Playlists” under Tidal.
  • The font used is generally very small. An slider to adjust font size (similarly to the slide that adjust album art’s size) would be welcome.
2 Likes

I’ve had version 3.5 for about a year. Used to use Foobar and also trialled Roon (side by side with 3.5), but ended up liking the sound quality out of Audirvana 3.5 more than Roon - and I already owned 3.5, so in comparison to Roon’s ongoing subscription cost it was free :wink:

I’ve been trying Audirvana Studio today. Here’s my initial impressions:

• Already logged in another thread that it doesn’t seem possible to log in to Audirvana with my existing account anymore, but got Studio set up eventually using the same email address

• Took about 5 hours to scan my local files. I only have about 90 GB. With my Plenue (admittedly a fast indexing DAP) it only takes a few minutes max for a full refresh. My Fiio M11Pro took perhaps 10 minutes. At the end of the 5 hours Studio got to the end of the folder list and then crashed, so when I relaunched Studio it started all the way back at the start again. I tried restarting but to no avail. Eventually instead of asking it to index my whole library I just selected one artist’s folder to at least get some files indexed to do a comparison.

• Can’t get Poly to work over network with Studio edition. It shows up, I can hit play, but playback never starts. Works fine with 3.5

• Using Mojo alone via USB I compared a few tracks. Studio does indeed sound different, but I’m not sure I personally like it better. The mids are perhaps a bit clearer but it loses some solidity and weight in the low end. Previously in my comparison with Roon I found Roon was brighter than 3.5 and gave a more immediate sense of detail, but over longer listening I found it more fatiguing and preferred 3.5. Studio seems to have a similar slant towards a clearer, more detailed sound in some respects, but less weighty sound; the timbre is a bit different and I’m not sure I like it. I tried all three output options of WASAPI, ASIO and Kernel streaming and felt they were similar in overall timbre.

• So far given the teething issues with Studio, lack of Poly playback and cost, 3.5 is the clear winner for me. I will give it more time to compare sound alone but so far feel like I’ll probably prefer the 3.5 sound more.

• Seems you can’t run 3.5 and Studio at the same time (on Windows 10 at least). When comparing them I had to close one to open the other. When you have one open (either one) and try to open the other, the 2nd just never launches.

• I do find the 3.5 navigation a bit more intuitive, maybe it’s just familiarity. One strange thing on Studio is that files stored locally only appear under ‘Local’ and not ‘My music’ - ‘My music’ seems more like it should be labelled ‘My favourites’ ? After all, I think of my local music files as my music, but they don’t show up under ‘my music’?

1 Like

One more piece of feedback: It would be very handy to be able to display my playlists on the left sidebar like in Audirvana 3.5

4 Likes

what exactly “Analyzing audio files” is doing? I have more than 30K files… it is running for more than 3 hours… still not completed 50%…

1 Like