Audirvāna Studio vs Roon

Thanks Glen, I’ll have a look at that :+1:
SO. MANY. CHOICES :joy: :joy:

Being an iFi customer, I was also interested in the Zen stream, but from the feedback that I got Allo USBridge sounds better, and offers more options.

Do you have one of these Glen, as I can’t see any mention of Qobuz streaming capability?

I do not (yet), but this is the device I’ll likely be getting early next year. I have the Zen DAC and CAN stack, and I’m impressed with the quality.

As for Qobuz, it’s not explicitly supported via a dedicated protocol (since Qobuz doesn’t have a proprietary connect, like Roon / RAAT), but it does support UPnP / DLNA connection. I’ve been following the thread over on Head-Fi for this streamer device, and Audirvana users are reporting good results using DLNA.

Search that thread for “Audirvana” and you’ll see what current users are reporting.

That certainly is a more affordable solution, and if you pair it with some power conditioning and decent cables I’m certain it would do the trick. For me, the additional noise reduction tech in the iFi streamer just makes it sound like a more scalable solution (at least on paper). :nerd_face:

Thanks for the replies Glen, very much appreciated :+1:

1 Like

RAAT is Roon’s secret weapon, they will be very unlikely to share it. Roon believe that DNLA is a flawed protocol and wrote RAAT from the ground up to avoid it …

Well, good news.
I played around with the settings and noticed that I had upsampling set to 2x 4x using R8brain. Changed it to SoX and now no more disconnection by my streamer and also no truncating the last track on an album by a few seconds.
So apologies to Audirvana with regard to my comment regarding constant restarts.
Now, if the reliabilty issues have also been fixed…

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily say that DLNA is a “flawed protocol”, and it’s more likely that since it’s an open standard the documentation is not kept up to date. This usually results in poor implementation by individual developers and small development groups that don’t have the resources to do the required testing.

I will concede that a proprietary protocol like RAAT is much easier to maintain and the licensing model helps keep the development teams who implement it informed of breaking changes.

Both models have their advantages, if done right.

2 Likes

I use both happily but don’t even suggest DLNA to Roon …

I use DLNA via JRiver server to a Cambridge Audio CXN with no issues at all . AS is another subject, it still have to get AS to play a track without setting upsampling. My AS subscription was a dead waste of money, it simply doesn’t play to my CXN

I know you’ve had this problem with AS for ages Mike.
I honestly can’t believe it hasn’t been resolved yet, it’s not as though the CXN is a niche (as in rare) streamer.
Hope they sort it soon :+1:

I am in the same boat. Audirvana doesn’t like my Cambridge CXN V2. Thats what made me switch to Roon eventually.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Is there any discount for 3.5 users when you move to AS?

There was a discount of 20 €, not only for A3.5 users, but for the users of all Audirvana players. But to enjoy the discount, it was necessary to subscribe to AS before the deadline of August 31st.

I am still seeing the discount:

Maybe you have it, because Damien really wants you to subscribe! :grinning:
I removed AS from my drive, so even if I’m still offered the discount, it’s impossible for me to succumb to this temptation anymore.

:rofl:

You don’t need AS on your drive to subscribe. Just need to go to here.

It strange that the discount is still available. The deadline was the end of July, and then it was moved to the end of August. But it still continues to run, and in 10 days, we will be in October…

browsed through this whole As vs Roon thread, had some good laughs. I have both. Secretly i prefer AS sound, but shhh, don’t tell anyone…
Ok stupid question: why is kernel mode not available in Roon?