Audirvāna Studio vs Roon

@patifr - I generally have the same concerns with free trials and providing payment info, but I recently cancelled my Roon trial subscription (it just wasn’t for me) and I haven’t seen any suspicious activity on my credit card alerts. Do be aware that they’ll charge a random amount (usually around $1 US) to verify the payment method when you sign up for the trial, but that charge was a “pending” charge and was cancelled the following day in my case. This is fairly typical of all free trials of services I’ve signed up for, such as streaming content, and I haven’t had any issues with companies failing to cancel the subscriptions thus far.

As for the short 14 day trial period, I found it sufficient and only needed about 30 to 60 minutes a day for about 8 days to figure out I didn’t need it. You might be different and find that it actually meets your needs, so it could be worth checking it out.

It’s longer than the 7 days of free trial of Neutron that are more than enough.
At the moment that you hear the playback of your first tracks, you buy the license.

Agree Glen.
I too had no issue with payments being taken whilst still trialling Roon, and I signed up with 3 different email addresses so had plenty of time to evaluate. :wink:
Only trialled it streaming to my Pi just to get a feel for the remote user interface (very impressed), but ultimately a non-starter for me as my main streamer isn’t ‘Roon ready’. Yet.

1 Like

Can’t you install RoPieee XL on your streamer?

Is that a question for me Doudou?
If so, no I can’t. I have a Cyrus streamer as my main listening device.

Yes, the question was for you.
And do your other players work with this streamer?

Sorry Doudou, are you referring to the software players I use to stream to my Cyrus with?

Yes, I refer to Audirvana, JRiver, Foobar, whatever you have.

The UI really is the best part of Roon (in my case) since I don’t have need for multi-node / multi-zone streaming support. I just subscribed to Audirvana Studio (annual) and I’m hoping the development over the next year will make the investment worth it. Ultimately, I will only need UPnP support for a Volumio streaming device next year, when I decide to get into that side of this money trap… er… hobby. :smirk:

I have had many issues with AS, and also 3.5 before.
I found that JRiver was extremely stable but it didn’t/doesn’t have streaming (Qobuz) integration, essential as I only stream via UPnP and not USB. I honestly can’t remember the SQ of JRiver compared to either Audirvana release.
I’ve also used BubbleUPnP/Minimserver and Linn Kazoo. This is also very stable, but I don’t really like the remote Linn interface. Also didn’t like the mconnect remote.
The proprietary Cyrus app is, quite frankly, merde. :grinning:

:joy: :joy: :joy: :+1:

I have a tip for you that you can try.
JRiver has a feature that allows to send the tracks from your server to your streamer. In this case, it’s not JRiver that plays them, but the player on your streamer. I was told that it gives a very good sound.

Yes, that’s exactly as I used it Doudou, via UPnP.
As such my streamer would be doing the ‘number-crunching’, and it is a very good streamer with regard to SQ, if not features, imo.
I don’t recall being dissapointed in the SQ of JRiver and probably wouldn’t even be aware of Audirvana if streaming integration were available.

If I understood you correctly, you have streaming features in the release of Volumio that you use.
What sounds better for streaming Qobuz or Tidal, Volumio or Audirvana?

Yes, I pay a subscription of €29 per year to enable Qobuz/Tidal integration (MyVolumio Virtuoso).
However it’s free if streaming isn’t a concern:

With regard to a SQ comparison, it’s difficult for me to say really.
I use AS at home through my main system through loudspeakers (when it works :joy: :joy:), and Volumio at work through headphones.

I don’t know for streaming, but my friend who uses both AS and Volumio with local files, says that Volumio sounds better than AS.

That may well be the case.
Funnily enough, I’ve been looking at one of these:

I would however need to purchase a new DAC.

You should check if this streamer is not restricted to Volumio, and if you can use it with other players.

@Ironz - Have you looked at the iFi Zen Stream as a streaming solution? I think it uses a custom version of Volumio, supports different streaming protocols, and may work with your current DAC. It may be worth a look.

For people who stream, the pricing is interesting.
For one AS subscription, you get SIX Volumio Virtuoso.
And for one Roon subscription, you get TWELVE Volumio Virtuoso.