This is the English version of a question that I have also asked in French.
Audirvana stalls when playing Hires from Qobuz, on a MacMini connected to a UPnP/DLNA amplifier. The trouble is more or less severe :
- sometimes there is only a brief interruption after the few seconds of initial playing, then the track playing resumes until the next track where the same problem appears again,
- sometimes the interruption is quite long and there may even be several interruptions during the same track,
- when I launch a new tack before the previous is finished, the sound is interrupted, the playing track resumes for a few seconds, then the new track starts, stalls an eventually is played completely, but not always,
- in the work case, Audirvana freezes or crashes and I get a loud white sound (not very pleasant).
The problem happens quite systematically with 24 bit Hires files, even if the sampling rate is only 44,1 kHz, and it gets worse when several tracks are played in a row, until Audirvana freezes and produces white sound.
With 16 bit / 44,1 kHz tracks, the problem is not frequent and in the worst case the interruption lasts only a fraction of a second at the beginning of the track, after a few seconds of playing.
After doing systematic testing, I have found out
- the problem does not happen with a USB DAC (thus it seams to result from the conjunction of Qobuz and DLNA),
- the problem does not happen wit Hires that are stored locally (thus it is related to Qobuz with DLNA and not DLNA only)
- the problem is independent from oversampling (on or off)
- the output buffer size has little but no influence.
My setup :
Mac mini" mid 2011 Intel I5 2,5 Ghz
4Gb RAM, that can be extended to 8 Gb or even 16 (unofficially)
SSD 2Tb drive (third party upgrade)
Mac OS High Sierra 10.3.6 (lats version compatible with this Mac)
Qobuz studio streaming
High bandwidth network with more than 90 Mb/s available
UpNp Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 Amplifier
Having done multiple tests, I presume this is due to a bug in Adirvana and not to the UPnP/DLNA implementation in the amp. I hope that Audirvana developer(s) (Damien ?) will fix it on all Audirvana versions.
I do not attach the debug file because I am writing this on a different computer than the one running Audirvana. I can do it upon request.