CUE Sheet compatibility

I have some problems using FLAC files with CUE sheets in Audirvana. The first problem comes from the failure to process a CUE file with a single title. Example: disc 2 of Tom Waits’ album “Glitter And Doom Live”. The track is ignored by Audirvana (V 3.5.10 Windows 10).

I need Help, thanks.

REM GENRE Rock
REM DATE 2009
REM DISCID 02086901
REM COMMENT “ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb5”
PERFORMER “Tom Waits”
TITLE “Glitter And Doom Live [FLAC 16-44 - 2CD Anti 2009]”
FILE “Tom Waits - Glitter and Doom Live (Disc 2).flac” WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE “Tom Tales”
PERFORMER “Tom Waits”
INDEX 01 00:00:00

I finally figured out how to display two different FLAC files with their CUE sheets as two different discs from the same album in Audirvana:
. The album title must be the same for both CUE sheets.
. The disc number can’t be written in the CUE sheet, so it must be written in the FLAC file’s tags. This can be done from Audirvana.

Enjoy!

Ex.: Dido - Girl Who Got Away (Deluxe Edition)

CD1: CUE Sheet

REM GENRE Pop
REM DATE 2013
REM DISCID 8F0A1F0B
REM COMMENT “ExactAudioCopy v1.0b3”
PERFORMER “Dido”
TITLE “Girl Who Got Away (Deluxe Edition) [FLAC 16-44 - 2CD Sony]”
FILE “Dido - Girl Who Got Away.flac” WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE “No Freedom”
PERFORMER “Dido”
ISRC GBARL1202429
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE “Girl Who Got Away”

CD2: CUE Sheet
REM GENRE Pop
REM DATE 2013
REM DISCID 47063706
REM COMMENT “ExactAudioCopy v1.0b3”
CATALOG 0887654423320
PERFORMER “Dido”
TITLE “Girl Who Got Away (Deluxe Edition) [FLAC 16-44 - 2CD Sony]”
FILE “Dido - Girl Who Got Away (Bonus Disc).flac” WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Let Us Move On (feat. Kendrick Lamar / prod. Jeff Bhasker and Plain Pat) "
PERFORMER “Dido”
ISRC GBARL1202506
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE “All I See (feat. Pete Miser)”

Load files in Audirvana, select all tracks from CD 1 and tag them as disc 1 ; select all tracks from CD 2 and tag them as disc 2.

Audirvana tags the disc number in FLAC files.

That’s all.

If Audirvana does not display a disc that you have loaded from a FLAC file and a CUE sheet then check this :

• The name of the FLAC files in the CUE sheet is exactly the same as the name of the FLAC file.
  • The FLAC file name does not use forbidden characters (Audirvana does not recognize all characters!).

Ex.: File name with a bad character " – "

REM GENRE “Rock”
REM DATE 2002
REM DISCID 00000000
PERFORMER “Coldplay”
TITLE “A Rush Of Blood To The Head [FLAC 24-192 - Vinyl”
FILE “Coldplay (2002) – A Rush Of Blood To The Head_Side 1.flac” FLAC
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE “Politik”
PERFORMER “Coldplay”
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE “In My Place”

You are right! I experienced the very same behaviour where tracks were duplicated as the file name in the cue sheet was not completely identical to the file name in the directory. At least, those file names appeared to be different but at the end pointed to the same file.
But, why Audirvana processes bot cue sheets and audio files remains a mystery to me. I saw other posts suggesting that in the presence of audio tracks as separate files there is no need to use the cue sheet. Or, if you decide to use it, why not making a separate album from the cue sheet (Named “Album name #2” for example)

That’s right, you do not need a CUE sheet whith audio tracks as separate files and you have to tag your FLAC files with Mp3tag or Audirvana. On my side I prefer to store my CDs in a single FLAC file and use a CUE sheet. The difficulty is with the double CDs that it is not possible to link with the CUE sheets.

Why would you want to do that? Is it to force gapless playback?

I would have a perfect copy of my CDs, like an ISO for a DVD (I know it’s not the same thing ;-). And with only two files (FLAC + CUE) I have a whole CD, it’s cleaner.

Hmm, this creates issues with playlists and metadata management.

It is true that Audirvana is capricious with CUE sheets and we have to be very careful. I’ve gradually switched from track by track FLAC files to a single file and now I won’t go back.

After multiple creations of CUE Sheet I discovered two other specificities of their use with Audirvana.

The first one is the behavior when inserting two successive space characters in titles. In this case, Audirvana ignores the title after the second space.

The second one appears if you want to mix CDs from the same album some of which are indexed with a CUE Sheet and the others with tags in the audio files (FLAC for example). In this case it is impossible for Audirvana to see only one album of several CDs and the different CDs will appear as different albums.

And another new one, the Flac file and the CUE Sheet file must have the same name otherwise Audirvana ignores these files and does not index them.