DAC indicates 32Bit when 16Bit is played

I am loving that I finally have a player that sends Sample accurate files to my Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC. But when I’m playing 16 Bit files, the indicator at the bottom right indicates: 32/44.1. Is there a “Minimum” BIT rate setting that I’ve mistakenly selected?

It is normal… Audirvana shows the capacity of your DAC, so if you play 24/96 song, it will show 32/96…

1 Like

Redbook 32/44.1 as OP says no?

He says 16/44 shows at right 32/44 so that is normal for a 32bits DAC, a 24bits DAC would show 24/44 for redbook file

2 Likes

It is normal. Internally the 16 bit integer is passed as a 32 bit integer, because I assume your DAC is a 32 bit DAC.
16 bits passed as 32 bits is like packaging something in a slightly too large box. But what comes out is exactly the same number. So your signal is not converted or upsampled in any way.

As others already stated: The indicator at the bottom left of Audirvana shows the original source (16-44.1 in your case) and the indicator at the bottom right shows how your DAC handles it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.