Deeper bass

Hi all,
I’m trying to figure out how to get deeper bass out of my system with the Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC, Mac Mini M2 16/256. Overall, the sound is very clean, but a bit more low-end weight would be great.
I know my ProAc Tablette 10s are small monitor speakers, but their midrange, imaging, and high frequencies are excellent. Is there any setting in Audirvana that could help boost the bass slightly, while preserving the natural character of the original sound?
Thanks,

Add a subwoofer or two…
:musical_notes: :eye: :nose: :eye: :musical_notes:

You can use EQ, but physical laws cannot be circumvented. Try moving around the speakers. Placement is probably a more effective way to reinforce the bass frequencies.

I have Magnepans 3.3. Brilliant transperant sound. A little light on bass. So I do a simple fix with a tiny increase of bass by utilising AppleeAULowShelfFilter. It’s a tiny a, teragion but seems to make the 3.3s sing.

Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil, I will try.

Home Audio Fidelity “Room Shaper”

"Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction—A Scientific Review"

FLOYD E. TOOLE
Harman International Industries, Inc., Northridge, CA 91329, USA
https://audioroundtable.com/misc/Loudspeakers_and_Rooms.pdf

Frequency Wave Length Chart
https://jdbsound.com/art/frequency%20wave%20length%20chart%202019.pdf

Acoustics: the study of sound waves
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jay/subpages/Lectures/Lecture1-Acoustics.pdf

Pick the tool that fits… Well established technology 64-bit useable through 384kHz..
BBE Sonic Sweet

(Note)
:warning:You cannot apply DSP to DSD files (1-bit PDM) due to the nature of the 1-bit format

:musical_notes: :eye: :nose: :eye: :musical_notes:

The Frequency Response of those ProAc speakers is 55Hz – 30kHz… If you want something that digs down below that 55Hz you would need a SubWoofer others have suggested… You could also try and move the speakers/main listening position as others have suggested… You could also try boosting with EQ as others have suggested… Audirvana Studio now has built in EQ so you could try the boosting without much effort… Typically boosting the low frequencies much beyond +3db will get you distortion… I chose to add an active subwoofer to my kit as my speakers only go down to 42Hz… And yes there are some musical instruments that dig down that low…

This would work for your MG 3.3 set… I believe they are capable to approximately 35Hz…

@Alexau These ProAc monitors have -3dB down-point at 55Hz with probably a -12dB/oct roll-off… They will need reinforcement from a sub-woofer… Even at a fair listening distance from the speaker at a moderate listening level… To get these monitors to reproduce more perceived low-end energy they will need to be played loudly and the room modes will need to be tamed… then this presents more resonance and reflection energy potentials across the audible spectrum, and distortion potentials increase with power, they have a weird 10 Ohm impedance .. (Edit) A full amplitude 40Hz wavelength is 8.6m peak-to-peak.
:smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

That’s a fair comment..,

Still there is Bass down to 31.5Hz and Pipe Organs down to 20Hz… :nerd_face:

Synthesizers can produce signals into infrasonic range… 88- Key Equal Tempered concert grand piano lowest note (1) frequency is Contra Bass “A/27.5Hz”… Apparently, there is a 112-key piano with the lowest note three octaves down, “A /13.75Hz”… It takes a lot of energy to reproduce a tangible Contra Bass fundamental harmonic in a normal living room… a full-amplitude 27.5Hz wavelength is 12.5m peak-to-peak…

My custom stereo tactile transducer seat-back reproduces to 20Hz… It can shake my spine, guts and torso with the right music… Chris Squire the now deceased bass-player of Yes, makes good use of that power… some really good pipe-organ recordings, among others… I keep the volume contextually balanced, but it is revealing of some limitations in mastering or production, some recordings have more low-bass energy than others… In my Headphone playback scenario I have the 12dB/oct low-pass cross-over filter set to approximately 120Hz… I run a parallel stereo feed from the HPA pre-out to keep the HPA and the stereo tactile signal amplitudes balanced. :wink:

Yes… Chris Squire’s bass and Rick Wakeman’s synths… King Crimson, ELP and so many others of that era of Prog Rock… And Blues Rock, Almond Bros, Lee Michaels, Government Mule and of course the Grateful Dead’s wall of McIntoshes…

Funny you should mention… What do you think my near perfect 45 rpm is worth today?

Saw him with Snowy when they were on the bill with Roy Harper and Led Zeppelin at Kezar Stadium in SF (1973)… an unknown band called “The Tubes” opened the show…

Chris Squire applied this to great effect live… It was part of Geddy Lee’s and Greq Lake’s live rigs… I can attest… to experiences with Squire and Lake.

I won’t get into the “Wall of Sound” but I witnessed the progenitor at a Stanford University Frost Amphitheater concert… And don’t forget about the “Ox” John Entwistle and his live rig…

Both YES albums “Talk” and “The Ladder” have some serious low-end energy…

:smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

I saw Lee Michaels and his drummer “Frosty” in Fresno Cali maybe in 70 or 71… The Tubes… LOL… What Do You Want From Life… A baby’s arm holding an apple… Fun memories… Yes at SLO, Pacific Amphitheater and Universal Amphitheater… Those were the daze… :zany_face: