Denon DNP-800NE + Mac + DSD Playback Problem

I have the latest MacOS installed, the latest Audirvana installed and firmware updates are current on Denon DNP-800NE. All DSD music streamed to the DNP-800NE shows as PCM, not DSD. Audirvana Audio Setup shows only DSD64 capable though the DNP-800NE plays up to DSD 5.6 from other music server not controlled via Audirvana. Native DSD64 from Audirvana won’t play (white noise only). However, greater than DSD64 will play although it is converted to PCM. Attached are screen grabs of my settings. Any suggestions on how to play DSD files on Denon DNP-800NE via Audirvana would be appreciated. Merci!

If not mqa dac, remove auto detect.

Thank you for the suggestion. However, it did not fix the problem.

Same issue with DSD and Marantz PM7000N.

I just use this from my iPhone and iPad nowadays

Hello @martinledford and @VoyagerDude,

macOS is not able to send raw DSD streams. That’s why the DSD over PCM standard has been developed: to send raw DSD in a fake PCM stream.
To identify it as such, there are 8 bit markers in it.
And the presence of these markers doubles the need of bandwidth, thus explaining why on a mac only half of the max DSD rate is available.

Thank you for the response. In trying to understand your response, I assume the “double markers” you mention result in all DSD files being reduced to DSD64 for streaming playback. However, you didn’t address part of my question (“Native DSD64 from Audirvana won’t play (white noise only). However, greater than DSD64 will play although it is converted to PCM”).

I am able to play all levels of DSD (64 to 256) on the Denon DNP-800NE using PLEX Media Server or using a NAS drive. They all stream at their native DSD resolution. Therefore, this must be a software limitation with Audirvana?

Thank you.

MacOS can’t play Native DSD, this is why you get white noise if you are not using DSD over PCM. PLEX do not support DSD so If you can provide some screenshot of of what you are talking about “Native DSD” I would be please to help you.

Before discussing other software like Plex, please address my initial question: Native DSD64 from Audirvana won’t play (white noise only). However, greater than DSD64 will play although it is converted to PCM. How do I play DSD64 using Audivrana? Attached is screen grab of my Audirvana settings.

Try to select DSD over PCM 1.0.

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, that change did not fix the problem.

Then I’m afraid you’ll have to contact Denon and see if they can help you. Not sure if it even supports DSD over UPnP. Using UPnP server of some sort might be the only short term solution for you.

You can also try with JRiver, just to check if it’s possible to stream DSD over UPnP.

Hello. The Denon unit does work with JRiver. It also works with Roon and NAS servers. The only problem I have is with Audirvana.

Does your DAC has a volume control? You may need to ensure it is set at 100% during DSD playback to prevent damaging the DSD signal.

Yes, the volume is set to 100% on the DAC. When playing DSD64 files I hear white noise but I also hear the song very, very faint in the background of the white noise.