For months I could not figure out why Audirvana was unable to open certain files that played just fine in iTunes/Music, VLC, Vox, etc. Specifically, a rip to ALAC of the Cluytens Beethoven symphonies. Audirvana’s display of the metadata seemed in order. It just wouldn’t open any of these files.
Tonight I tried, improbable as it seemed, removing the accent aigu from “André” in the name of the enclosing macOS folder. Voilà! All is well.
This on a 2020 iMac running Monterey. I checked on my old 2010 iMac running High Sierra and a diacritic in the folder name does not cause this problem. And I remain a happy user of Audirvana 3.5.5, so this may be of historical interest only.