Direct Mode enable in macOS High Sierra

Hi, thank you for your answer.

I did follow the high sierra link …
However not sure what you mean by “are you directly connect” ?

I guess the fact of moving directly from mavericks to high sierra some days ago doesn’t matter, right ?

As for upgrading audirvana version, long story short, I may do it at some point but some other priorities come first

Dac directly connect to computer. Doesn’t matter mavericks to high sierra.

You see now in the extension folder of system if you put by list that you have the old .ktext now?

Hi, yes the fact is connected directly to the computer.

I also checked in the system extensions that the IOaudio kext file is last modified on Nov.2nd 2017 (which seems to be consistent with the file available in your zip)

I meant the dac is connected directly to the computer…

so if the .ktext has the 2017 date… that is good… did you repair your permissions after like written ?

I did.

In fact, I am redoing the whole process again right now as we speak.

Just rebooting now after restoring the permissions. Will check as per the next step if A+ works in direct mode, before doing the final csrutil enable…

i’ll continu here, more people can see it here then in private…

So now we know that Direct Mode was installed good, it is there in preferences of Audirvana 1.5.10

Your bug is you are not able to play a song:
Now, under direct mode, the Audirvana interface screen doesnt even play the iTunes file, it’s stuck under “initializing audio device” for some reason.

the thread example sent to you was to show at the bottom Bitracer suggested that in that case it could be an exclusive access related thing… have you tried turning that off or integer other mode? changing your cable from another USB port of the Mac?

in Midi setup just make sure the Mac icon is not on your DAC… like that the computer sound while be out through your music whenever you have mail or something rigning :slight_smile:

in the Audirvana preferences, you can see your DAC there? i know my pictures is not like in 1.15.10 version but you can see what i mean…

lastly, you can try to trash your preferences, maybe they got corrupted?

Close Audirvana.

(before trashing it, you can put it somewhere out of the preferences folder, that way if trashing them doesn’t work either, you can replace them in where they was so, you’ll have back your prefs like before)

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System… When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there, just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom… click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Preferences…
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist in that folder
(those are A+ software preferences, i think there is just one in your version…)

Empty trash, restart Mac, restart Audirvana… you may need your serial number when opening…
then will ask for your dac and music… if i remember well :slight_smile:

Hi.

Is there a walkthrough in how to apply this?

Links for enabling Direct Mode back in Audirvana after El Capitan (10.11.6):

Sierra Link:

High Sierra Link:

Mojave Link:

Catalina Link:

You do realize how vague this is right?

You’re telling people to create a folder (since most as I see come up with nothing when they go under the Finder menu and “Go”) pasting /usr/local/bin.

Then you state if the folder doesn’t show and I’m sure that is for most folks, you say to “create a new folder call: bin.”

You then tell them to create a folder which tells them nothing about where to put this newly created folder.

As others, I went through this and had the same commands in terminal rejected.

Nevertheless, I tried to complete everything. Result: Audirvana only showed one audio option for Air Receiver. The Built In output is kaput.

Fortunately, I had completed a backup before doing this. I recall some years ago doing maybe this kext replacement in El Capitan and it was far more straightforward and clear without the problems.

What a cluster. Sad.

sorry but the text says…

There is a yellow >> Downloads section in the middle of the page… Unzip it to your Mac Desktop.

Then, in your Finder Mac Menu ’ Go ’ Choose: Go to folder… and paste:

/usr/local/bin

If your Mac doesn’t have a bin folder there, just copy: /usr/local/

then create a new folder call: bin

Then put the unzipped file of Repair Permissions in that folder.

That will be always there and you will not have to do that step after every update of High Sierra, except if you do a clean install of High Sierra.

Sorry, it’s not clear and with the terminal commands failing, it doesn’t lend confidence in the process.

My original High Sierra drive is working as I cloned back to the original drive too now so maybe I will try again.

The other thing I noticed was about deleting Audirvana preferences, I saw there was duplicates of them. That was odd and there’s no date difference so who knows what happens when two of those four files are deleted.

I’m using Audirvana 3.5 on another computer with Catalina. It works great. So maybe I’ll do better with the version running High Sierra again.

Thanks for the help RHS.

i don’t see anything saying something in the text file about Audirvana preferences…
but in 3.5 version now or v3 can’t remembered, now, there is 2 files in preferences folder
one for register and one for software preferences. but it has nothing to do with Direct Mode…

Yes RHS, I saw posts elsewhere on removing two of the preference files.

Anyway, both these drives are fine running Audirvana 3.5 now on High Sierra. I’m going to revisit as that OS is on a mid-2011 mac mini for a big audio rig so I’d like to get Direct Mode working there as on Catalina.

You’ve done so much for helping people with Audirvana and thank you for taking time over the weekend to offer replies here too.

i have now included that picture of doing the bin folder in
the high Sierra and Mojave folder for Direct Mode :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went back to run the High Sierra fix again. Direct Mode returns; it’s in settings!

Of note, I ran the fix and after permissions completed, rebooted and started up Audirvana. Once again, it showed no “built in output” option. Thought same problem again. I finished enable SIP and rebooted.

Before moving the 2011 mac mini back to the audio system, I opened Audirvana. Looked in “settings” and there was the Direct Mode option.

Looked at the output settings and everything was back to normal again. No idea what happened and if it had been okay on the first install.

Thank you again RHS.

1 Like

Before creating a new .bin folder:

• Open Macintosh HD or the folder where you want to display the hidden files in the Finder.
  • Hold down the Command, Shift and Period keys: cmd + shift + [.]
  • The hidden files and folders on your Mac will then appear partially transparent.
  • You can hide the files again using the same keyboard shortcut