DSD DOP option missing DietPI / NO "Native DSD streaming method" appears

If I was into streaming, I would iFi too, they produce some real quality kit at reasonable prices. You could spend a hell of a lot more for no improvement in function or quality.

2 Likes

@OffRode Thanks for you insight.
To what point is the iFi zen tweakable ? Can you ssh to it and tune it ? Install and / or remove software etc… ?

@dh3rm3

1 Like

No it’s pretty much fixed firmware, good post @Reynaldo Two points I would make / suggest is purchasing from a dealer that will give a refundable test drive number one. And number two don’t install any beta software from iFi. Couple of guys have apparently bricked their zen stream and they must ship them back in.

It will do around a dozen things, I’m just using a few. The internet radio is pretty good also but I primarily just stream into my AVR thru the spdif output

1 Like

Every purchase is a refundable test drive, no? If it don’t work you send it back?
If it demonstrably doesn’t perform as advertised, you send it back?
:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I don’t if every dealer will not have a restock charge or not refund the initial shipping charge as well. The dealers I use refund the entire charge, only thing I would be on the hook for is the return shipping. Is it much different in the Uk ?
Getting refunds from Amazon is usually pretty straightforward I think.

Here in Brazil, every purchase made over the internet has a week to be returned. You don’t have to have a defect, just don’t want it anymore.
In stores only 24 hours.
Now purchases made abroad are more complicated, especially in China.

2 Likes

Different dealers different terms, but generally if an item is faulty, or not as described, then the seller should refund everything snd pay return postage. And as Reynaldo says, distance buying rules give you a cooling off period.

2 Likes

Seems like it could be quite a bit different in various regions. My two favorite places to purchase allow 30 or 60 days to audition at home and return for 100% for any reason as long as you return in original package. I had 60 days to test the NAD M33 it helps when making a major purchase.

1 Like

@dh3rm3

Seems like an odd question… iFi Audio has an optimized OS for this particular application, as a highly-qualified audiophile high-resolution streaming device for connection to your DAC… If you get what you need from it in regard to high-resolution streaming to your DAC… Your life is simplified… no reason to bother tinkering… Spend more time on mitigating inducted and radiated noise in your transmission path and interconnects… (I remembered you are on battery power. so I removed my suggestion regarding power/earthing… however, ground differentials related to path-length will still need to be managed) :sunglasses: :+1:

The iFi Audio tutorial videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsD3o2R0heukpEusluxuNJ5L8XG_tTzjt

1 Like

I was going to say the same thing, but you put it more succintly. :+1:

:thinking:

Any more explanation… :grin:

As a follow-up, and as I’m stubborn as hell, I managed to get Dietpi to accept DSD over PCM using mpd and upmpdcli
DOP works, but with some small cracklings and sizzling.
For the time being did not managed to get rid of them…

Some infos here on how to install upmpdcli on dietpi
You’ve got to change the key repository though, as the one mentioned is outdated… use the Ubuntu one for instance…

You’re not the only one on here mate :rofl: :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

With GentooPlayer, I can stream Native DSD without an issue from Origin on the Mac to MPD/Upmpdcli.
Native DSD also works with the renderers of my other players.

I’m stubborn as hell as well, so I attached my DAC to my laptop with the USB cable… and what do you know? It works!

4 Likes

to easy :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes… If my upgrading to Ian Canada hardware, (which involves a little bit of money) I’m looking with what to run that… without hassle…

1 Like

With GentooPlayer, Native DSD with Origin on macOS works with other steamers as well. it even works with a simple RPi3/4. .

a-waiting trial key :partying_face: :joy:

1 Like