DSD Native is a scam!

If we need DoP in a computer to hear Native DSD, then we are resampling and changing everything, that degrades the audio in the file, converting and changing things it’s just not original; it’s better to have a Super Audio CD player, put a SACD disc and enjoy real DSD output.

You are “resampling” nothing with DoP, better to read something more deeply.
And if you are on macOS your way is DoP as it is a macOS limit.

1 Like

Right now I have a Harman Kardon DVD48, it’s a SACD player and when I put SACD’s on it, it sounds rally good compared with my DAC playing the same music in DSD format, I have a really good DAC, the Burson Audio Swing, that thing of Native DSD is just not real.

Are you sure? Maybe your dac is not as good as it seems.
dop is a dsd stream encapsulated in pcm and the dac recognizes it as full-fledged dsd, isn’t it?
You should compare DoP and dsd on the same dac, if you use two different dacs you are comparing “apples and oranges” as when you ear differences you cannot say what is different … the dac or dsd as DoP? To compare something in the right way you must have only one variable.

1 Like

How do yoy know that Harman plays right…
May be DAC is beter?
What was the benchmark?
Your hearing is very subjective …

I don’t understand why you’re considering DoP as a degradation. DoP is basically decoding the DSD encoding (and then you can resample it or not). DSD is not sound, it’s a bit like a zip file. Your DVD48 reads the DSD file stored on your SACD and decodes it as well. And as long as you’re not fully analog (tape, vinyl), there’s always a conversion at some point. The way DoP works on Audirvana is transparent (it just “unfolds” the DSD file), the only difference between DSD and DoP is that DSD is encoded so it’s much more efficient in terms of bandwidth, but this has nothing to do with quality.
If you’re using DLNA for example, then bandwidth can become an issue if your network can’t properly stream the high amount of decoded data required, so obviously DSD is a great storage and exchange format compared to PCM, just like FLAC.

Now it is possible (and should I say fortunate) you hear a difference between two very different products, but there are many parameters involved in this, and difference isn’t always a matter of fidelity, sound “tint” can actually sound better or worse depending on your setup and taste. Sabre chips (your Burson Audio Swing uses an ESS Sabre ES9038Q2M) are nothing neutral (and no chip is, ESS Sabre are usually considered as cold, in opposition of the Burr Brown chips for example which are considered as warm).

Now to make things clear, I’m not really into this whole SACD stuff, as for me mastering is much more important than file resolution (once you reach CD quality), this makes a much bigger difference to me (many original 30 years ago japanese CD pressings sound better than the current high resolution counterparts of a said album). But before making negative assertions, let’s figure out what we’re talking about.

If you still want to share your impressions, please be more precise about in which conditions you listen to it (USB, RCA, amp…) and what are the differences you perceive, this would be much more interesting.

1 Like

If DSD sounds bad it’s not because of DoP. Here are few variables in play. Some DACs are just not good at playing DSD.

If you install the USB driver, you can also try with NativeDSD (not DoP), so you can compare. I assume you’re on Windows machine.

Hello,
DSD is not an encoding format but you could have DSD in different file formats (Sony/dsf or Philips/dff or proprietary) which can be encoded, like DST (lossless) for reduced the size of the multichannel DSD file.
DoP is not an decoding process, it allows to carries the DSD stream in a way made for PCM, but the DSD stream is not modified.
You can’t resamplling a DSD stream nor apply FX like EQ, Gain.

1 Like

Thank you for the precisions. Wrong vocabulary of my part :slight_smile: