Duplicate files with diffrent file location

Hello I have problem with some duplicate files in Audirvana these are on my synology nas and are in my local library they appear under the file location volumes/music/filename the majority of my files do not have that before the folder location I deleted one folder which was full of them re-synced and some of them still remain i also cannot seem to delete any of them

Any Ideas please

Thanks

Barry

You may have some files still stored in a Recycle Bin.

You suggest you have at some point deleted from your server some of the files that you find duplicated today?
Check on your NAS’ what is in the Recycle Bin of the Volume where your music is stored.

If your music is on its own on a Share, you may consider deactivating the Recycle Bin on that Share. That would shield you from such problems with Audirvana.
Please bear in mind that you would need a strong backup policy to avoid erasing accidentally music files you could not recover from somewhere else.

1 Like

Hi Thanks for your help yes i have previously deleted a lot of the files and have recycle bin enabled which may have songs in it as i have accidently deleted a few before I have checked though and one artist is not in the recycle bin at all but is still in my library even though i have deleted all the other files !

The famous ghost files from Audirvana…

Having a backup of your .sqlite file is the only way i found…
if you don’t, you are stuck with them…

if you put File Location in your Tracks View to see that they are really doubled,
except that they are grey ones that have volume/ before your path files, if i remember.
Nothing can’t be done yet, you have to trash your .sqlite database
or replace it with an older one.

This text comes from a post i did to someone else bug too with a NAS also…

I don’t have or use a NAS, might be different for you.
I never delete albums or tracks in Audirvana, always remove them
from the Hard Drive that is synced.

But, sometime i do have an album that had doubled for a reason i can’t explain…
it’s a bug for sure :slight_smile: this under is the only way i found to remove the ghosts files
or double tracks…

In case you don’t have a backup… you can redo your database…
This was for a Mac but pretty much the same for a PC (there, if the sqlite is in App Data folder
you have to put ‘see invisible’ in windows to make that folder appearing).

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder… when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back in one shot. sadly to this day, the folders they were in if so, are not back, you have to do them again…

Now with Studio version, you can export as a backup your playlists in the preferences of Studio under Local tab… Backup, then when you start again, you can restore them after…

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

If you continue and trash the database, you will lose also the play count number
of how many times you played those songs… if important to you or not.

Go to Audirvana preferences panel and delete with - sign your music folder(s) there.
Close Audirvana.
Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not).

Restart Mac. Restart Audirvana.

Add a music folder when asked or go to prefs again and add one with + sign.
LET IT SYNC, even better don’t try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music
while it is not finished… you’ll see the progress bar going… Could be long the first time
depending on how large your library is, and Mac is fast or not…
go to sleep if it is too long. :slight_smile:

Then when finished, close Audirvana, yes close it before playing a song…
That way you will have your database from scratch saved without crashing or bugs.
Then copy the .sqlite file to somewhere else in a folder as a backup for today.
Do this as often you can, if you do many edits in your library or add many CDs, that way
if a bug comes back, you’ll have a not so far library to put back in the same place without bugs.

When copied, reopen Audirvana, and play a song. :slight_smile:

Dear RunHomeSlow,

Thank you for your helpful reminder of your well established Workaround.

Many other Media management or playing software exist and I for one cannot figure out any that does duplicate entries quite like Audirvana does.

Audirvana users are quite founded to wonder what other software they use on their computer that requires so much “house-keeping”…

Does @Antoine want to comment on this topic?

Hi ta for the info I don’t have any backups of the database files so looks like I’m stuck with them that workaround option although viable, it seems a bit extreme ,none of them even play, you should just be able to manually delete them but even that isn’t possible !!

it is a big text, but easy to do…

yes, you can’t delete them, because they don’t exist…

Save often your .sqlite… only way to avoid that bug.
If it happen again, close Studio and put back latest .sqlite you have as a backup at the same place.

Thanks will do

@RunHomeSlow
@Grwfsywash
@budgie64
@Antoine
I do exatly the same.
I do have a NAS and it seems to happen more often with a NAS. To reduce (but only reduce) the probability of having that problem don’t use the “Rescan Network folder option”.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.