Enable Direct Mode in Catalina

Yes, now it’s works.
And there is no reason to put IOAudioFamily.kext other than /S/L/E

Security settings must be as “No security” all the time.

csrutil could be enabled or disabled, it doesn’t matters.

I have updated my text for those with the T2 Chip with your replies here and picture @tstadm
Here is the same link but text updated :slight_smile:

I use Mac Mini Late 2014

Don’t know what to say, the hack works since it is out and on 4 differents system till now.
If you already tried 2 times not succeeded, maybe you should forget it… at least you can reinstall your OS.

In the pictures folder, you can see when the El Capitan .ktext is installed… the date shown in the folder is 2017… all the others are 2019. After you should open Audirvana and go the preferences of your DAC and enable Direct Mode… if you don’t see that option, you did something wrong.

If you don’t have any audio after. Forget Direct Mode if you need those other audio thing…
like the picts i’ve shown you earlier all is there like before for sound system and everything…

I didn’t create that thing… i just made the text more clearer for all people to read…
never played with Terminal before that, didn’t wrote those lines.

Anyone here applied the macOS update 10.15.2 with Direct Mode ON in 10.15.1 ?
My .ktext of El Capitan is still there after the update, first time Apple didn’t replace it :slight_smile:

Yes, hesitated on doing the update until I had time to do a backup and do all that was required to get Direct Mode again, however was pleasantly surprised that Direct Mode had stayed after the update. Thanks RunHomeSlow.

2 Likes

Hi all, long time user of Direct Mode, but struggling to get it working in Catalina…
I have replaced the kext file in S/L/E no problem, but when I check the Extensions status screen in the ‘about Mac OS’ environment, I can see that the IOAudioFamily extension that is loaded is version 300.2 (ie. the Catalina version). I placed a copy in the L/E folder and can see that the version is 205.11 (ie. an older Direct Mode compatible version). Both files have the same ‘last modified’ date from Aug 2016, but version 300.2 is the one that is loaded and Direct Mode is not available. Ideas anyone?? 2015 MacBook Pro

You did read the text file that comes with my download and see the pictures?

My old .ktext is always changed in system extensions when finished doing the trick as in the pictures included

Yep, the old ktext is present and clearly visible in S/L/E… it looks just like it did in High Sierra and Mohave. Catalina seems to be loading the latest version from somewhere that isn’t obvious to me

did you read the old text or the one for catalina?

The one for Catalina, I used Hackintool to disable the Gatekeeper as the terminal commands weren’t effective

i did not put it back yet since 10.15.3… i can just do it live to see…
this is before changing it on 10.15.3
i’ll take another picture after i done it

when it has works, the date on the .ktext file on the system extension has to be in 02-11-2017 like in pictures… if not, you did wrong :slight_smile:

i’ll come in 30 mins max… with mine changed :slight_smile: hate doing it, no keyboard or screen… :slight_smile:

Here you can see the kext file in S/L/E dated in Aug 2016, and the same date shown for the extension when interrogating the Mac OS

As you can see, the Version is 300.2 current to 2019.

The same kext file was saved to L/E (not System) which also appears in the ‘about this Mac’ system report. As you can see, the version for the same kext file is 205.11

sorry took longer… phone rang :slight_smile:

here is the pictures after the change… Direct Mode on, on 10.15.3.

i know you can’t reply now as a new user, but now you see that mine .ktext
was changed not yours in System…

Did you read everything in my text and done ALL i wrote… works everytimes for me
Art Blakey drumming now under Direct Mode :slight_smile:

1 Like

I followed all the instructions (including the extra steps for my 2018 Mac Mini), but I still don’t see Direct Mode. The only item under Low Level Playback for my UPnP network player (Sony STR-DN1080) is Max Memory Allocated.

Everything seemed to work and IOAudioFamily is showing as version 204.4 in System Information. I also trashed the preferences file and reloaded but no Direct Mode switch. Any suggestions?

Direct mode only works directly connect to dac i think…

I tried my iFi Locally Connected DAC… still no Direct Mode switch or Integer Mode Type.

Don’t know what to say… always worked for me, all macos versions, every updates.
I didn’t test the mac mini 2018 if you mean you have the T2 chip in…
the pictures in my text to follow, were from a user that have that chip and succeded…
can’t verify it :slight_smile: