Glitch, Skipping, within a song

Hi Damien, just wondering if you have any updates. More users are popping up with this problem. We would all appreciate hearing back. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hello,
I have used Audirvana successfully and without issues on my 27" 2009 iMac for a number of years, using the digital optical output port into my DAC. I upgraded a few days ago to a 27" 2020 iMac, Big Sur OSX, and had to use a USB output into my DAC. I immediately had major problems using Audirvana, skipping, glitches and switching the sound output from DAC to iMac speakers during a music track. The skipping/glitches seem to be happening every few seconds, and the switching the sound output from DAC to internal speakers occurs does not occur at the same time during the music track. This does not happen if I use iTunes as the music source. I have tried to change the Audirvana audio settings, including deactivating upsampling, upgraded to latest update, but to no effect.
Given the above inputs, and my experience I am very surprised that Audirvana has not been able to replicate the issues. At the moment Audirvana is unusable, and I am paying for a broken system.
Thanks
Ed

Yep…I hear you. I have no idea what’s going on.

The problem is that I have no idea, as consumers, what rights we have in this situation.

It’s a shame. I like the software. I don’t understand why they’ve gone silent on this matter.

Hello,
Following a more careful extensive check, and testing, using iTunes as the music source on my new iMac it now seems that I have the same problems of skipping, glitches, and switching the sound output from DAC to iMac speakers. Firstly, I need to apologise to Audirvana for suggesting that the issue is just down to Audirvana.
Secondly, the problem is still there and causing great annoyance. Later today I will go back to my 2009 iMac and carry out testing using the cheap USB cable I have been using with the new iMac instead of the optical cable to see whether the issue is replicated. I will also contact a reputable cable expert to check whether, in my case, cheap USB cables could be the problem.
Once again, apologies, and I will be in touch again.
Ed

Hello,
I have now done more testing of Audirvana on my 2009 27" iMac running High Sierra, using the same USB cable and settings as used earlier on my 2020 27" iMac as reported above a few hrs ago.
There were NO problems of skipping/glitches/jitter, or switching of the sound output from DAC to iMac speakers on my 2009 27" iMac running High Sierra.
It suggests therefore that there is a difference in the digital output signal from the USB port on the new iMac compared to the older iMac. Monitoring the USB output with a digital oscilloscope should show this up, sadly I do not have one to check the output.
The issue of switching the digital signal output from the DAC to the iMac speakers during the music track is likely to be associated with the skipping/glitches/jitter issue.
The USB cable I used was one I previously used for printing so would a more expensive USB cable with improved jitter performance solve the problem. I think it would be sensible for Audirvana to compare old and new 27" iMac digital signal outputs with a scope to see whether noise or jitter has changed.
ed

Hi Ed, I don’t think it’s the Mac’s USB output to be honest.

When I use no external DAC, and have music playing through the computer’s speakers, the problem still happens. On both my iMac and my Macbook Pro. The problem might not happen on track 1…but it’ll happen within the first 5 tracks of any album I play - as long as I’m streaming Tidal.

And another user here has the same problem and he’s running Windows.

Hi Jason,
I take your point.
I have now done some testing using Audirvana to output to the internal iMac speakers on my new iMac, whilst not conclusive I am happy so far that there were no issues.
May I suggest that the quality of the streaming signal in, and that of the USB output to a DAC may both suffer from jitter and general waveform issues.
If that is the case then:
Can Audirvana reduce any jitter on the streaming input signal, or do you do you need an intermediate device to clean the signal up, and then let Audirvana do its good work after that.
If using the USB output to a DAC can Audirvana reduce any jitter on the streaming USB output signal, or again do we need something to minimise the jitter into the DAC.
Whether it’s a mac or a PC the issues would be the same.
Ed

Hi Jason,
I should also say that there is a third possibility, that the jitter (for want of a better word) when outputting via a USB into a DAC may be exacerbated by the cable used.
thanks again
Ed

Hi Ed, I’ve switched networks and the problem persists - so it’s not my streaming signal. And this problem happens regardless of whether I use an external DAC or just playing through my computer speakers.

Also, please note that for me, and for the people having this specific problem, it is only through streaming Tidal.

If you’re not streaming Tidal, then it might very well work fine.

Hi Jason,
There may be a clue in the following article ‘Apple’s latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug’, on the following website https://cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/.
It is worth a read, and people should ask Apple why they have allowed it to happen.
regards
Ed

Hi Jason,
I should have added, that the underlying message suggests that:
The issues we have seen are not due to Audirvana, although of course they can improve.
The issues we have seen are not due to output cables, although better cables may help.
ed

Hi Ed,

My iMac though is from 2015. It was working with Audirvana up until a month or so ago without any problems. My computer is not in that list of computers.

Also, as mentioned, this problem happens without an external DAC. And other users have this problem on Windows PC as well - with Tidal streaming.

This is a problem between Audirvana and Tidal.

Same issues with glitchy Tidal audio on a 2020 iMac (3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 16gb ram) with a solid net connection. The issue is only with Tidal. Streaming high-res audio from Qobuz for long periods does not produce the glitches. Audirvana has extreme preference and upsampling is disabled. This issue appears to coincide with one of the Big Sur updates, if not it’s release. Under Catalina, this was not an issue.

On an odd note, Audirvana does not produce these issues on the M1 Mac Mini (16gb ram), even with Tidal. The issue appears to be limited to Macs with Intel chips running Big Sur.

It would be epic to see a fix for this. Most of my work during the day is on the Intel machine and I greatly prefer Tidal. Can’t explain why, but Qobuz gives me a headache with the quickness, and the lack of ReplayGain support is kinda painful.

Also, I wouldn’t necessarily call it glitching in my case, The song will randomly jump back 10 or so seconds in most cases. Or forward. I’m not sure. Tends to happen in the chorus in most cases, so not sure exactly in what direction it skips. But for the love of God, please fix.

I have the same issue with 3.5 and Tidal on my Mac Mini M1. I really hope this gets fixed.

Listening to music CLEANING THE HOUSE? What do you mean?

1 Like

Also having the same problem here. I also tried the new Audirvana Studio and couldn’t get it to launch after the first day of using it. I highly doubt this problem we have here will take priority over the numerous bugs to be fixed in the new AS. AS was great in the one day it managed to work. Sent a ticket to support but haven’t heard back.

Quite right! My footman never allows himself to listen to music when cleaning the house…

1 Like

I have a similar problem. I am experiencing hicups during some tracks and skipping to next track before the one playing actually ends. (Very few seconds in both cases). This happens when streaming from Tidal. Computer is Mac Mini feeding an iFi iDSD BL dac.

“My Left Foot” I’m assuming you mean! My Footman always asks to listen but it is disallowed. Unless I’m there…; of course I am the footman in every sense.

I do question myself playing hi-resolution music files when my Dyson is screaming over everything. I say I question it but i don’t really. Just the idea of Audirvana Studio operating in my house is enough to give me great satisfaction. Oh, these first-world issues are driving me crazy.