Going to try AS again but have questions

I used Audirvana many years ago and even tried AS a while back but the interface didn’t work for me. I have been a Roon user for many years now, using tidal and Qobuz along with a very large local library. This time around in comparing AS to roon, I will be looking at:
Sound quality
UI
How AS handles UI integration of local library and tidal and Qobuz.

Questions:

1. I have a large local library for roon on a m1 Mac mini, can I point AS to the same library without AS making any modifications to the data that would destroy its use under roon?
  2. my Qobuz music is integrated into roon, how would I get the same music from Qobuz to get integrated into AS?
  3. AS will run on the same m1 Mac mini as roon and I send music over to the newer ps audio airlens, the using i2s going to my ps audio ds sr dac. Any problems in this scenario? I want to be able to switch apps fairly fast to compare sq differences.
  4. I currently run roon arc in my cars instead of using Sirius/xm, is it possible to run a version of audirvana under Apple car play?
    Thanks

#1 should be OK. Re #2, Audirvāna provides settings to log into Qobuz and a couple of other streaming services. Re #3 I don’t know. Re #4, I’m unaware of any way to have Audirvāna work with CarPlay currently.

As @jud replied 1 & 2 are good. 3 Should also be good. I don’t use i2s but run both Roon & AS on a MacBook Air and iMac and switching is fine. Just remember to release Audio Control from the Apps when switching.
My Roon Core Server is on the MacBook Air and I have no problem playing AS to a USB attached DAC on it, whist using Roon from another Room’s endpoint.
As to 4, AS has nothing like ARC, so that is a big no for you on that question.

Hi @Rs350z,

@Jud and @ChiliHot answered your questions accurately.

About the fourth question, we do not plan to add such feature in Audirvāna.

Thanks for the replies. #2 really hasn’t been fully answered yet and is a big 1 for me. Let me explain it further.

Everything I do is within roon, I never log onto the Qobuz site, If I look at my roon library, I see tens of thousands of albums, ripped and from Qobuz, the only difference is a little Qobuz icon. When I only had tidal with roon, the roon library looked exactly like it does now. When I got the Qobuz service, I got a free service provided by Qobuz that went out and read my roon library and got all albums/tracks that were tidal, built some list, then went out and grabbed the same albums/tracks from Qobuz and populated my roon library. So when this process was done, all tidal music was gone from my roon library and 99% of those same albums/tracks were implemented into roon from Qobuz.
So if I went with AS, is there the same kind of automated process to get all my roon Qobuz entries into the AS library instead of doing all of this by hand.
Thanks

You should get all your Qobuz favorites and playlists inside Audirvāna Studio, even if you make some changes in Roon. I recommend you try Audirvāna Studio, it’s free, and you do not have to use your credit card to try it out :wink:

You can start it from your account at https://my.audirvana.com

1 Like

Once I find out how to get all my Qobuz entries into AS I’ll try it out.
I don’t use Qobuz directly, I don’t have Qobuz playlists or favorites. In roon, I search for say Diana Krall, click on an album, and add it to my roon library. This is just a pointer, no download. I probably have many thousands of these Qobuz albums/songs that have been entered into my roon library.

When I converted from tidal to Qobuz, Qobuz offered a program that read the roon library and gathered all of my tidal entries in roon, built a list of them, and then used that list to populate roon with the identical Qobuz albums/songs.

It would take me a month to do all of this by hand.
Thanks

I have had Qobuz and Roon for years, and more recently AS. When using Roon with Qobuz, if you search an album in Roon and favorite it, it will appear in your album listing in AS.

Also when I subscribed to AS and used Qobuz, my entire Roon library appeared in AS. When you favorite an album in AS or Roon, you are also creating a favorite in Qobuz by default, therefore the favorites are available in AS, Roon, and Qobuz.

As Antione suggested, sign up for the free trial, link your Qobuz account, and everything should flow into AS automatically.

2 Likes