Handling Metadata

Here is a display from the Artists listing. It shows someone named Aine Minogue (middle row, left). Great; she’s a legitimate artist!

Here is the info from the tagging app; Audirvana has concluded the Artist is Aine Minogue. Looking good!

Here is the track display; we have the correct Title and an Artist’s name

And here is a line from my tagging app

But note, In this application, at least, both the Artist and Album Artist fields are blank, yet somehow Audirvana has figured out the Artist name. It had to come from either the Title or the File Name field. Based on my reasoning, Audirvana must have looked at the Title field, which contained “Aine Minogue”, and extracted this information to insert into its Artist field. There’s no other possibility I can come up with.

Not trying to be fussy about this, and I don’t really care in the long run where the Artist’s name comes from, but simply trying to figure out how to tag this file consistently, according to Artist. Specifically, into which Metadata field would I enter the Artist’s name, or at least information from which Audirvana could derive an Artist’s name, so that ultimately Audirvana will sort by Artist? I would have supposed that the obvious solution would have been to put this information into the Artist or Album Artist field, but they don’t seem to be contributing anything in this instance.

Thanks

Yes audirvana needs an artist name or it will select from named folder…

But all your picture always show double the name… double artist name, artist name in album title??

WHY you left those fields blank?? In that application

What you’re seeing is basically the raw result of ripping 600 GB of CD’s and downloading music. I haven’t added anything to the metadata in the file. What is displayed in the tagging application is basically what Audirvana has to work with.

So I’m here waiting to straighten this stuff out. This my question is, What do I add in which fields so that Audirvana sorts by Artist?

Thanks

Re-reading your earlier comment, it sounds as though the answer to my question is to load the Artist field with artist name. Audirvana will look there first. And if it doesn’t find it there, it will try to figure it out from the Title, File Name or Album Artist field.

If this is correct, I know what to do, which is to go through the metadata and add artist name to the Artist/Album Artist field, and that should work.

Does this sound right?

Thanks

Mine artist and album artist are the same. Sorted artist are always the same… i dont do: the byrds sorted as byrds the (not important).

Then album title is the album title :slight_smile: i put MY genre field… put the album year released, when multiple cd’s i put in cd field 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. Track in finder folder always have their number: 01 xxx or 01 - xxx or 01. Xxx Audirvana will see them, some cd are badly tagged, the number of the track is in the title track, i change that…

i put MY cover that as been arranged and are all at the same size (im a graphic designer :grinning:), and reside in the cd folder, not the one someone put in and are a cheap 40k picture named folder :grinning:

They are many other i don’t use like composer, ensemble… classic stuff… comments… lyrics

When there is a real .pdf with the CD, i call it booklet.pdf and put it in the same folder as the tracks and the cover.jpg

2 Likes

Music Tag Editor Pro is very good.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help. I’ll get my metadata editor (I chose Tag Editor for Mac) and get these changes underway.