How to upload filter curve file from REW (Room EQ Wizard)

I would like to upload the set of filters I developed using REW (Room EQ Wizard). I suppose the AU NBand Equalizer is the best option among the effects. Are there any instructions available? As a fallback I can re-enter all the filters manually, but how to translate Q to Width? Any other tips are very welcome!

#RoomCorrection

Hello MediumRare - I had the same question as you … until I read a few replies on this forum. I have opted for a different approach: export the filters from REW as a WAV file, and then import this WAV file into a convolver plugin in Audirvana (I have installed LA Convolver, free for MAC).

1 Like

Is anybody else doing room correction via Audirvana/MacOS?

Yep I am, MediumRare. I also have REW. Probably the easiest way to transfer the REW settings to the AUNBand plugin is to enter them manually. Here’s a calculator to convert Q to width and width to Q :

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

It works a treat!

Recent 5.20 beta versions of REW support AU N-Band EQ directly, no need to convert any values anymore. They can be entered as saved to the text file.

Hi Dan - how do you get LA Convolver to work in Audirvana? I also have it installed but it doesn’t show up as a plugin in Audirvana (or AU Lab for that matter).
Thanks.

hi Frank, it may be a case of restarting Av so it takes the plugin into account. Have you tried this ? else, the process is just to unzip the plugin in the appropriate folder, which i suppose you have done already?

Yep done all that. Neither Audirvana, AU Lab or Audacity are recognising it, though. Also tried restarting my Mac. Ah well, didn’t cost me anything so I can’t complain!
Thanks.

Hi Frank~ Would you care to describe how to manually enter the REW Eq filter values into NBandEq in Audirvana step by step? I don’t even know how to see the Eq values :frowning: Many thanks!

Sure thing. In the Audirvana main window make sure nothing is playing and click on the speaker icon :

You’ll get this. Select your output device.

In the next screen scroll down to “Audio Units” and enable “Use Audio Units Effects”. I also enable “Real Time Control” which allows you to adjust EQ settings while songs are playing :

Click “No Effect” to get a dropdown menu. That’ll show all the MacOS AUs and any others you may have installed. Select AUNBandEQ. That’ll enable the “Configure” button in the above screen. You’ll get this :

As you can see, Audirvana’s display of AUs can be a bit flaky. You can now enter the REW EQ values manually. The “Type” field has a dropdown menu with which you can select what type of filter you want to use. “Band Count” also has a dropdown menu where you can select 1 to 16 of all available bands. Double click on “Freq”, “Width” &“Gain” fields to enter your values. Then click “Presets”. You’ll get this :

Note that in this screen shot it’s displaying my EQ profiles - your’s will obviously be different (shouldn’t be any if you haven’t previously saved any presets in any other application that uses AUs).
Again, flaky Audirvana display as there is no curve. Curiously, I do get a curve display on my 2011 MBP running High Sierra. These screen shots were taken on my M1 MacAir/Monterey. Click the “+” symbol to add your preset. You’ll get this :

Enter the name of your preset and click “Save”. Then click “Save” on the “Setup Audio Unit plugin Apple AUNBandEQ” window (the screenshot immediately above this one).

You should now be good to go. The presets get saved in /library/audio/presets/apple/AUNBandEQ.

P.S. As an aside I can now confirm (for anyone who’s interested) that the Lernvall Convolver plugin also works - seems I had the wrong version installed. :roll_eyes:

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any issues/questions.

Thank you very much for the explanations. That’s very kind of you!

You’re welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.