I suggest a "Text" file

I would like an implementation of the program interface.
I’d like to put some text next to the cover and the title at the top.
At least for me it would be very useful to have the ability to put notes in that space.
What do you think?

Hi @Ricc,

This space you are talking about is the description of the album or artist, for the moment it is not editable we may add the possibility to edit it in the future. If it’s added to the software, you will see this on the release notes of the software.

1 Like

What would be great, is to see some information about the record. I hate to compare programs but I use PLEX for video and their Music section provides some great info. Not sure how/where they source it, but it’s an appreciated bonus. This could be added to the blank space I think you are referring to.

Maybe something like…

1 Like

Audirvana Studio already has this built in. When subscribed to Studio and I connect a Qobuz subscription I get the album or artist information. One of the differentiators between a Studio Subscription and local library only Origin.

Would have thought the option to edit the text in say Origin would no doubt lead to a bunch of copyright issues as users would no doubt start copying text across from Tivo or other copyrighted sources.

What happens in STUDIO for the Local library, is there no similar information that you view in Qobuz? In PLEX, the artist/album information is provided to the local library as it does to the streaming subscriptions. There is no “copying” of text required, so I’m not sure why that concern is raised. Like I mention, I’m not sure where PLEX gets this data but it’s available across the LOCAL library also.

The album I showed (the Hives) is in my local library. When you open the local artists or album page it reads in the artist or album description/review from Qobuz and populates the page. So AS drags in the additional information from Qobuz when you are displaying your local library or local artists.

I seldom use the Qobuz streaming capability. Only use it for discovery. When I find music I like I purchase it and download the album and add to my local library.

It’s one of the value additions you get with Studio, of course you will need to be online (offline will show the standard album art, information you see in Origin) and have an account with Qobuz or Tidal or HRA to get the information. It is not available when offline. I would have thought Qobuz no doubt receives income from Audirvana to allow integration with the Qobuz service. Hence the subscription nature of Studio. I assume the fact that AS does not then store this information so that it is available offline is governed by their agreement with the streaming service.

Not sure of the Plex model but I notice they have add supported and subscription services which I assume covers the cost of getting someone to allow use of the information. Or they have their own writers inhouse and maintain their own database, in either case there is a cost associated with doing so…which is no doubt recovered in the purchase price or the use of add supported free versions or subscription based accounts.

I would think wikipedia is the only source of non copyrighted album/artist information but then I am sure if it was easy to get this information into playback software everyone would be doing it.

Thanks for the information. Appreciate it.
From the PLEX website, it appears that the user has 2 options as to where PLEX gets their information; from a combination of “Musicbrainz” & “Allmusic” or “LastFM”. Not sure if they pay for this data or not.
I have a lifetime subscription to PLEX, similar to my Audirvana account. I don’t have any streaming subscriptions in either program.
Whatever PLEX is doing, they don’t remove this information based on what account level you purchase. Even the free version of SPOTIFY provides information of the artist and album. I know Spotify is more directly connected to the Artist/Label then Audirvana is, so it’s not a valid comparison.
Maybe Antoine might be able to elaborate on this.

The free version of Spotify comes with advertisements every few songs or so. So cost is supported by the advertisers paying for the ads. It is also crippled in many ways. Spotify uses the free crippled service to gain new users and hopefully from their standpoint drive them to the paid subscriptions. An understandable model.

Roon is a good case, audiophile playback software and a (much larger) competitor to Audirvana, Foobar et al… Excellent detailed bios and album/artist information. The lifetime subscription (one payment) costs 829 USD. A massive premium to Origin. This I assume is (in part) to cover their costs in providing the data. Roon unfortunately will not even function and open without being online. A bummer for users that want to play their own local library when not connected to the internet. One, amongst several other reasons, that I stopped using it.

Orgin comparison to Roon is not a fair matchup. Studio to Roon would be a better match as they both have monthly subscriptions available, Studio has streaming of Qobuz, Tidal and internet radio access like Roon does. Orgin is only for your own local file playback, no streaming no radios.

Depends on what your playback needs require.

Agreed that it is a better comparison but remember the streaming service access is just that, access only, you still have to pay for the streaming service. Roon provides the information album/artist musician, composer data for a lifetime to those with only a local library who do not use streaming as Origin users do. But Origin users dont get the data. Catch my drift? So the difference in cost between Roon lifetime when you don’t stream and Origin is (in part) a function of both the streaming service access component (if you choose to use it) and the “rich” as Roon calls it bios/artist/musician/composer data.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. Roon though has 100’s ( at least, perhaps 1000’s ) of radios stations included. I personally use radio a lot, but to each their own deal.
Really either comparison is not really equal. Roon around 15.00usd and Studio about 7.00usd per month I think? You have used both and realize that they are in two different classes. Single system USB cable and just want quality playback then Orgin or Studio are the ticket. Multiple endpoints, Ethernet streaming and much more information and recommendations of new music then you probably want to pop for Roon. Just my personal experience YMMV. It’s great to have some choices :+1:t2:

1 Like

I get your point on the Radio’s… forgot about that and the multiple end points (wish I had a house large enough to want to use it!). Comes down to use case I suppose. I tend to be blinkered around mine…

1 Like

Hi @Ric1,

The info we gather for Audirvāna Studio in fact do comes from our streaming music partners if you have one connected. However if you do not have one, we solely use Musicbrainz (and we pay for this, I’m sure PLEX also does).

I get your point about having the possibility to edit this section and as I said, we may add this possibility in the future, probably for both Audirvāna Studio and Origin but it require us to think about it and how it will work, especially for Audirvāna Studio.

However, all the discussions about other programs or services aside, my original request was just to have a field where I could personally enter information with Audirvana Origin :wink:

1 Like

However, all the discussions about other programs or services aside, my original request was just to have a field where I could personally enter information with Audirvana Origin ;-). Your second image is perfect

Based on the results of the voting perhaps folks don’t understand what the purpose of this field would be? Could you elaborate further and provide an example of an album and what information you would enter into the open field. Thanks

This image is an example of the space where I would personally like to insert text with, for example, the composition of the band (I am mainly referring to jazz music) and other personal information/impressions regarding the recording.
I am therefore not talking about information given by the various services.

1 Like

Perhaps a button that you would toggle and replace the current supplied information with your open field. I wouldn’t want an open field just using the space for no reason. Personally I doubt that I would have a use for this field.
The team at Audirvāna seems to have plenty on their plate currently so I wouldn’t think you could expect anything soon on this but it’s a interesting idea.

1 Like

A little disappointment with the decision not to share the Musicbrainz data with the ORIGIN group. PLEX appears to share this data with both levels of their Client structure. I guess going forward, when I want details of my personal music library I’ll have to open PLEX. Or go back to vinyl (not) :upside_down_face: