Issue with UPnP RPi with Audirvāna 3.5

That was one of the reasons that I stopped using iTunes (now Music) long ago. It’s a good library manager, but it does not support important file formats that I have.
As Studio supports these formats, I believe that it can appeal to many Music users, if Audirvana implements columns view in its player.

2 Likes

Agreed, @Cloclo. I use Music to manage my library. It’s an excellent tool, for cataloguing and maintaining the database of CD-quality music I’ve accumulated over the past 30 years, and it’s a great metadata editor. I don’t think I’ve used it to listen to music for at least six years.

It’s also incredibly efficient at finding music, in my local library, because it has a column browser.

If Apple, with its endless resources, keeps this venerable mode alive, it means that it’s difficult to do better.
So it’s surprising that a small company, like Audirvana, believed that it could create a better UI, and gave up on this useful mode.

1 Like

Apple did briefly try to do away with it, @Cloclo, but the outrage from the software’s user base was so intense that they had to build it back in, by the second update of Catalina/ Music, if memory serves.

Again, if the largest company on the planet was forced to see the wisdom in keeping this view mode around, why on earth would a small company, like Audirvana, decide it wasn’t necessary? It’s a classic case of “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”.

If @Damien and @Antoine want to turn their backs on those of us in this small, niche community, who do actually still buy physical media and have local music libraries to manage (I do not want to hear the latest, loudest “remasters” of my favorite music, which is all that streaming services offer), I invite either of them to come out and say that they don’t want our money, and that they’re washing their hands of us. If their intention is to make Audirvana a toy software for people who only want to stream music, that’s their prerogative. However, if they actually want to appeal to people who have serious local music libraries, as many of us do, they’re certainly not showing it, through their software design.

Regardless, even if this thing just worked as advertised and intended, I wouldn’t be anywhere near as upset. However, once I have a “music player” software that is advertised as supporting DLNA/ UPnP streaming, and the thing won’t actually play music, it starts to bring up all the other grievances I have with its designers. At this point, I can’t even judge Štüdîø on its merits, because I can’t experience or discern any. I can’t even get it to play a single track, at the moment, if it isn’t MQA. Even if it is MQA, I can only play it, if I’m ok with loud bursts of noise at the beginning of every track. Add to that the fact that it’s not possible to drag tracks within the play queue or playlists (1980’s-level GUI stuff), AND the fact that it takes an unnecessarily long time to navigate my music library, because the efficient browser that could be at the top of the window has been forcibly replaced with useless color blobs, and I’m an extremely unhappy customer.

Anyway, I’m glad other users agree and wonder why on earth anyone would replace something as simple and efficient as a column browser, for managing and navigating a local file database.

I am using Studio, the latest version, with UPNP to a Ropieexl. Today, once again, in the middle of the second track of music (Qobuz), playback abruptly stopped and I couldn’t recover. This has been happening to me across multiple versions of Studio and I think I’ve reached my breaking point. I have to decide if I want to stick with Studio and abandon UPNP or try Roon and hope it’s more stable. But I am now convinced that I cannot get Studio to work reliably over UPNP.

1 Like

Hi @padraic , sorry to hear about the problems. Please repeat your post over at the doesn’t work thread, you have posted to a 3.5 thread. If you can use usb it’s the best bet currently. Lots of UPNP problems to get sorted out it seems.

https://community.audirvana.com/t/what-set-up-does-not-work-for-you-with-audirvana-studio/32141/35

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.