Issue with UPnP RPi with Audirvāna 3.5

The “fancy UI” lacks function. It is possible to have the OPTION to have a fancy, slick UI, with the OPTION to use it for more advanced purposes. For an example, one need look no further than iTunes/ Music. When Apple changed iTunes to its current iteration, with the release of Catalina, in late 2019, they abandoned the OPTION to display/ utilize the Column Browser. There was such an uproarious outrage, over its abandonment, that Apple restored it within a matter of about a month and a half.

Now, users who want big, candy-colored buttons, color blobs, meaningless, ugly collages, and hieroglyphs can elect to have them, and people like me, who appreciate the software’s unparalleled ability to database and edit local music files can use it for that purpose. It’s really not that hard to incorporate increased functionality as a user preference, especially when said functionality was a built-in part of the software for years prior.

Can’t agree more. Studio has “artists view”, albums view"… It should not be difficult to add to it a “columns view”. The code for that exists, so there’s no need to write it from scratch, as it was used for years with A+ players.
It will be useful for old fashion customers who have a big music library.

1 Like

Amen, @Cloclo.

What makes it even more frustrating is that Audirvana could have the best column browser around. A+ already allowed the user to add as many columns as he/ she wished, using all of the filter options the software offered. It seems that could easily have been improved upon, for an even more efficient, enjoyable user experience, but instead, it was replaced with a useless heap of trash that completely turned its back on the entire, previous user base of the software.

I’ll never forget when I showed my wife the 3.5 interface, and she laughed and said it looked like they were trying to imitate Napster.

Hello @GaseousClay and @Cloclo,

First of all I warn you that this column will probably never be back in Audirvāna Studio. We made a choice to not implement it in 3.5 and it will not be in Audirvāna Studio.

My opinion on the subject (and it’s only mine):

You would say why doing such thing? It’s because I believe that sticking to this old way of navigation can be for you effective but it cause an issue for me, you maybe have not noticed it but the 3.2 version display too much information at the same time. Having the information more structured and clearer is better. You maybe loose on the number of things displayed on the same page but for me the information is clearer in Audirvāna Studio.

Based on the screenshot you made, you are displaying a playlist. If you want to do the same thing in Audirvāna Studio, you can do it like this (this is a smart playlist):

You will get all of the information you want to filter to the left or right of your screen or even on a popup. More flexibility and the information is more clear.

Back to the topic, UPNP can be tricky and you would say that Audirvāna Studio is buggy but there a things you need to consider first:

• Audirvāna Studio and all of the other version of Audirvāna the audio played by your device will be in wav and only in wav which means if the device has some issue to decode wav over UPnP, you can have an issue with it in Audirvāna.

• What you see being played is not “sent” by the software, it’s your device that is tacking the track from Audirvāna Studio and controlling the playback. If there is also an issue on this side, it can impact Audirvāna.

• Other network issue outside of Audirvāna can impact the playback in UPnP like the connection used between your device and your computer (Wi-Fi vs Ethernet).

• Finally the UPnP implementation in a software or device is not trivial at all and saying that because you are a software engineer, you would resign you and your team if such issue occurs with your software is a bit exaggerated in my opinion.
    I then recommend you to take a look a the the UPnP specification if you want to know how it works, you will see there is a lot that can be done and a lot of parts of this have been used in proprietary protocols https://openconnectivity.org/developer/specifications/upnp-resources/upnp/

One last thing, please stop mention me or Damien, it sends automatic emails when you are not on the forum and you don’t need to do this since I see everything on the forum :wink:

@Antoine, I will happily send you a screen recording of me navigating my library, selecting multiple albums, at the same time, and filling a play queue far more quickly and efficiently than a comparable screen recording that I will send, of me attempting to perform the same task, in Štüdîø. Bottom line, if it’s so worthless, why did Apple, the largest company on the planet, bow to pressure from its user base, to reimplement the same functionality?

What on earth is the harm in simply reimplementing it, as a view option??? Even 3.2.20 has the option to view by Album, vs Tracks. Even when viewing tracks, the column browser wasn’t forced upon the user. It had to be chosen.

@Antoine, what you’ve essentially said above is that, because the functionality that was previously included in the software is not useful to you, personally, it must not be worth including.

Seems a little short-sighted, from someone who is trying to market a product for a monthly subscription.

1 Like

Bonjour,
Il est vrai qu’il n’y a beaucoup de posts faisant état de problèmes UPNP, ce qui est normal, le forum est fait pour ça.
Je n’ai pas votre configuration, mais j’utilise UPNP en wifi.
J’utilise AS sur PC Windows 10 8 go de ram, (j’ai également Audirvana 3.5) en upnp vers RPI 4 Volumio 3.179 Allo DIGIONE qui est relié à mon ampli.
Ma bibliothèque d’environ 15 000 titres est stockée sur mon PC. En majorité du 16/44, j’ai également du 24/88 et un peu de 24/192.
Je n’ai pas d’abonnement à Qobuz ou Tidal*. Je sur-échantillonne en puissance de 2 R8brain avec limitation à 192 qui est la limite de mon ampli.Sur AS, la mémoire tampon est réglée à 2go.
Mon PC est wifi double bande 2,4 et 5 ghz. J’ai désactivé 2,4 ghz. Mon IP est fixe (réglage sur la box), j’ai désactivé DHCP.
Sur le RPI4, l’IP est également fixe (réglage Volumio et réglage box) et sur le réseau 5ghz. J’ai également défini sur le fichier Volumio wpa_supplicant.conf, la ligne country = FR .
Les adresses des IP fixes sont éloignées des adresses DHCP (192.168.100 pour le RPI 4 et 192.168.1.110 pour le PC).
Je n’ai quasiment pas de problème. De temps en temps, si je modifie la liste de lecture, le morceau en cours de lecture s’arrête quelques secondes avant la fin.
J’ai quelques fois un abandon du wifi mais c’est le RPI4 qui est en cause.
(* n’utilisant que ma bibliothèque, il est dommage que lorsque j’ouvre AS, celui-ci ne montre que les favoris donc pour moi un écran noir, j’aimerai pouvoir arriver directement sur ma bibliothèque).

google translate
Hello,
It is true that there are not many posts reporting UPNP problems, which is normal, the forum is made for that.
I don’t have your setup, but I’m using UPNP over wifi.
I use AS on PC Windows 10 8 go of ram, (I also have Audirvana 3.5) in upnp towards RPI 4 Volumio 3.179 Allo DIGIONE which is connected to my amp.
My library of around 15,000 titles is stored on my PC. Mostly 16/44, I also have 24/88 and a little 24/192.
I don’t have a Qobuz or Tidal* subscription. I oversample in power by 2 R8brain with limitation to 192 which is the limit of my amp. On AS, the buffer memory is set to 2go.
My PC is wifi dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz. I disabled 2.4 ghz. My IP is fixed (setting on the box), I disabled DHCP.
On the RPI4, the IP is also fixed (Volumio setting and box setting) and on the 5ghz network. I also set on the Volumio wpa_supplicant.conf file, the country = FR line.
Fixed IP addresses are far from DHCP addresses (192.168.100 for the RPI 4 and 192.168.1.110 for the PC).
I have almost no problem. Occasionally, if I change the playlist, the song currently playing stops a few seconds before the end.
I have a few times a wifi dropout but it is the RPI4 which is in question.
(* only using my library, it’s a shame that when I open AS, it only shows the favorites so for me a black screen, I would like to be able to go directly to my library).

1 Like

Is it in Music app? can you send a screenshot of it?

Then we are not sharing the same view about software in general.

It’s not that easy, both software are really different in a lot of ways and we need to think about time of development/number of users that would use this option versus development of other more useful features.

I can, once I return from my work trip next week. Meanwhile the path to it is View-> Column Browser, if memory serves. It can be enabled or disabled, at the user’s discretion.

Here is a screenshot of the browser and how to enable it, from the Apple support forums.

All you have to do is to choose “tracks” presentation in Music.

And then you can configure your “clumns view” the way you want. In this case, I browsed all the ALAC files of artists and albums that perform compositions by Bob Dylan.

1 Like

Column view in Apple’s Music app works alright.

1 Like

Okay then I learned a new thing about Music today :nerd_face:

Music also has “albums view”, “artists view”, etc… like Studio. But it kept the “column view”, because it’s very useful for many people.

Personally, I don’t use Music as a player. But many people do.

1 Like

To be honest, I only use Music to listen to Apple Music. Didn’t add my local collection to it’s database either :smiley:

I know jRiver Media Center and Swinsian (Mac Only) also support column view. And do this pretty much by default.

I use Apple Music with my iPhone. At home, I prefer to stream with other players.

Yes, they do, and it’s very useful to browse and to sort the music files, because they support also FLAC, DSD, and other formats that Music does not read.

2 Likes

That’s true. I’ve used jRiver as well to do all the tagging with my local files.

I’m not into DSD stuff, but the inability of Music to not be able to read/play FLAC’s is a big no no for me.
I remember back in the day Apple didn’t want iTunes to be able to play mp3 music either, but they changed their minds about that pretty quickly since people used mp3 all the time.

I guess history is repeating itself again with Apple pushing their own lossless format.