Issues List for A+ for Windows

Windows 10 is the host OS on my machine (HP Z4 G4) and I am running Audirvana Plus for Windows version 1.2.11 from the host OS. Windows version is Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (1809 - October Update).

Here is my issues list to date:

Version 1.2.11

1. On the Tracks, Albums, Artists (Library) screens, the Cursor, PageUp and PageDown work only sometimes (only after clicking somewhere in the screen) and will not advance above or below the visible tracks/albums/artists even when there are many more. Similar behavior for other screens. Also, the scrollbar is a little too narrow (I know this is a carry-over from the Mac World – but only good things should be carried over!).
  2. When switching from a DSF file to a PCM (44.1) file, there is a brief gap and a pop.
  3. No integration between Tidal tracks/albums/artists and Library tracks/albums/artists.
  4. When virtual network adapters (created by VMware Workstation) are enabled, Audirvana Plus cannot see my DLNA/UPnP renderer (Marantz NA6005). After disabling the virtual network adapters, the renderer (Marantz NA6005) is discoverable by Audirvana Plus for Windows and music plays fine. However, after re-enabling the virtual network adapters, the renderer is knocked off the Audirvana Plus view. Having to enable and disable the virtual network adapters every time I want to use VMware Workstation is cumbersome AND I will not be able to run VMware Workstation at the same as Audirvana Plus. This should be addressed.
  5. In the Active Device settings (Audirvana Plus) for my Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC (directly connected to the computer), I have to manually set the DAC up as a MQA decoder because it is not auto-detected. Further, when I go to the Active Device settings for the Marantz NA6005, it is set up as a MQA decoder per the previous setting. When I change that to “no MQA”, that setting also holds for the Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC, as well. Therefore, the setting for MQA decoder/renderer is universal to all DACs and renderers. Instead, the setting in Audirvana Plus should be set on a DAC by DAC, or renderer by renderer basis.
  6. Twice in two days, Audirvana Plus lost the activation key. Perhaps this is also what happened when I was using the trial software before purchasing it (I think I may have only used the software for a day, then the trial was over)? It will get tiring to hunt down the key and input it every day.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

1. Good point to add these keyboard shortcuts. I’ve added this to the todo list
  2. Is this pop happening when using WASAPI and DSD over PCM, or also in ASIO? Do you get also a pop when switching between two tracks with a different sample rate?
    If yes, then this is an issue in your DAC implementation, where it fails to mute its analog outputs when switching sample rate.
    You may then want to ask your DAC manufacturer if there is a firmware update available fixing this.
  3. This is not a simple one. Though I may look at this in the future.
  4. You can use VMs, the only point is to have the VM network adapters disabled when launching Audirvana Plus. You can reenable them after. But agree this is not ideal. I’ll add the selection of the network interface for UPnP.
  5. Automated MQA DAC status only works in WASAPI. If this is not the case with your Mytek DAC, then you should ask Mytek about the issue in their implementation of the MQA USB HID.
  6. I’ve sent you a PM on CA about this after having analysed the server logs.

Damien

Thanks for the reply.

1. The pop is happening with ASIO and native DSD. I haven’t tried this with WASAPI and/or DSD over PCM. My DAC is the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and I am using the latest firmware update. This pop doesn’t happen when I use Roon, foobar200, or J River Media Center.

2. Thanks for PM in CA. I have sent a reply on CA.

Thank you for your consideration of my various points! I look forward to the future of Audirvana Plus for Windows.

Found another issue:

I am using an MQA DAC (Mytek Brooklyn DAC +) with ASIO driver. On the Active Device screen in Audirvana Plus I have turned on:

• “DAC not detected as MQA, use as” “MQA Decoder”
  • “forced upsampling to DSD”
  • “DSD target rate” of “DSD256”

Here are the results:

1. Regular PCM files (non-MQA) played on DAC as DSD256. Good!
  2. MQA files played on DAC and properly decoded by DAC. Good!
  3. DSD64 files played on DAC as DSD64 (not DSD256). Apparently, the “forced upsampling” does not apply to DSD files. Bad!.

Is #3 a bug or is it the case that this has not yet been implemented?

Also, as you stated previously, automated MQA DAC status only works in WASAPI. Any chance of implementing this for ASIO in the future? (There is no direct DSD with the WASAPI driver AND Windows keeps trying to kill my WASAPI driver and installing it’s own generic driver) Further, when the MQA status must be set manually in Audirvana Plus, can future versions of Audirvana Plus implement this on a device by device basis, rather than one setting for all devices?

Thanks!

SCREEN ORGANIZATION

Item 1

I observed that the minimum column/field width for the following columns/fields is unnecessarily too large:

• TRACK#
  • DR
  • GENRE
  • DURATION
  • SPL. RATE
  • FILE TYPE
  • YEAR
  • MQA

Having field widths that are unnecessarily too large means that the amount of information that can be displayed on the screen is unnecessarily reduced. Can this be changed in future versions?

Item 2

Re: the scroll bar at the bottom of Tracks, Albums, Artists (Library) screens and similar screens with a list of tracks:

If the Audirvana Plus application is in full screen and the combined width of the columns does not cause the scroll bar to appear, then when changing to a windowed screen, the scroll bar will not appear, even if the columns/fields run off-screen.

\

I hope I do not appear to be too picky; I just want to help you build the best Audirvana Plus for Windows!

Best regards!

Audirvana Plus for Windows 1.3.0 (1056)

VST3 Plugins

First, thanks for making these work in version 1.3! These DSP plugins were, of course, designed to work with PCM files and do not work with DSD files. However, when a plugin is loaded (with “Realtime control” activated) and one attempts to play a DSD file, Audirvana Plus does not automatically deactivate “Realtime control” and/or the plugin and the DSD file does NOT play!

Contrasting this with J River Media Center, that application handles the playing of both PCM and DSD files without having to manually change the settings to deactive “Realtime control” and/or the VST plugin.

Perhaps this behavior can be changed in a future version of Audirvana Plus for Windows? That is to say, the user should not have to manually change the VST settings in Audirvana Plus just to play DSD files.

Thanks!

Revisiting Issue #2 from first post.

My DAC is the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and I am using the latest firmware update.

Using an ASIO driver, when switching from a DSF file to a PCM (44.1) file, there is a brief gap and a pop. Interestingly, this does not happen with the WASAPI driver – everything is fine with the WASAPI driver while using DSD over PCM. The ASIO driver is using direct DSD (there is no setting in Audirvana Plus to change this). Note that this pop doesn’t happen when I use Roon, foobar2000, or J River Media Center with the ASIO driver (which I prefer to the WASAPI driver).

Thanks.

When I have the window maximized I have a few pixels empty on the right side of the program. If I have another program behind and click on the top right I will close the background program because of the empty space. The other three sides are OK.