Kernel Streaming and Gapless play

Hello!!!

I know this might have been brought up before but I searched and don’t see anything that resolves the issue. Since Plays with Audirvana, I am using the recommended settings. I have an iFi pro idsd. It is using kernel mode. I had this issue before but when using kernel mode between each song it skips or there is a screech between songs. This happens no matter if I am using tidal, DSD, FLAC, etc. If I use ASIO works with no problems. I have tried changing the buffer size, volume leveling, etc.

Is anyone having the same issue or know of a fix?

Thanks!!!

Hi @Tempusthales,

Do you have enabled upsampling in the audio settings of Audirvāna?

I do not. I leave the settings as is.

Let’s find how I can reproduce this, is this happening whatever the sample you try to play with your device?

Yes. For example, I was playing Dark Side of the Moon. Most of the tracks blend into each other. You hear a break between tracks or sometimes an audible noise when going to the next track. This will happen when using DSD files, FLAC, or streaming from Tidal. If I use WASAPI or ASIO, I do not have this issue. I have had this issue happen on different PCs, also. Playing the track in Kernel mode, I have no issues with that. It sounds wonderful. It is just when switching to another track, there isn’t a seamless transition to the next track. This happens on anything I play

Thanks for all your help!!! I love the app!!! Been using it audirvana for a couple of years. I love the addition of Plays with Audirvana!!!

I do have the same problem using Audirvana Origin and an Ifi ZEN DAC Signature.
Only happens in Kernel mode and not in ASIO and WASAPI.

I have been able to reproduce this issue on my computer but Damien couldn’t so it’s computer depending unfortunately. Damien will take a look at this but this will require some development time so don’t expect this to be done really soon.

It seems to be an issue with the ifi ASIO driver and kernel mode. If I uninstall the ASIO driver and use the Windows driver in kernel mode it works fine. Then i lose WASAPI or ASIO playback.

WASAPI and Kernel streaming do not depend on an ASIO driver, because they are built in Windows. Without the iFi ASIO driver you should be able to use WASAPI (exclusive) and Kernel streaming in Windows with your iFi DAC also.

Yes, you are correct. But still have the issue if I have the ifi driver installed. It skips when moving to the next track.

1 Like

So I did some testing and it seems the ASIO driver IS interfering when using kernel streaming. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and uninstalled the ASIO driver. Anytime the driver is installed, kernel streaming gets interrupted when changing tracks. WASPI has no issues with the driver installed. Only kernel has the issue. I uninstall the driver and it works perfectly in Kernel mode.

2 Likes

Hi @Tempusthales,

Interesting finding, I will check it out.

1 Like

Hi @Tempusthales,

I had some time to check the identification when you install the iFi driver. Indeed it seems it also install a driver for WASAPI/KS at the same time as the Unique ID of the WASAPI driver with or without the ASIO driver installed is different.

So what does that mean? Sorry for the late response. :slight_smile:

Hi @Tempusthales,

this means we need to investigate a bit further about why this is happening. Changing the WASAPI driver should produce such behavior. I can’t tell you when we will be able to get a closer look at it but we will do.

Cool. Thanks for all your help. Love the app!!!

Once you get your Kernel Streaming worked out, do you realize that ASIO skips the kernel? Bliss. Microsoft has to learn to use ASIO 4 Everything, not to sound like geeks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.