Limited number of editable fields

It would be a great improvement if AS could be used as a genuine metadata editor. The number of editable fields currently is ridiculously small.

1 Like

As well a central area where ALL fields can be edited AND a really straightforward, central area to sort. Drives me crazy to try and find an album I want without viewing radio, Quobuz etc. Where I want to look would be a great sort choice.

Beware what you wish for.

Audirvana has run some users mad with the way it rewrites all metadata of the track to its own standard, for the sake of the edition of one single metadata field.

For example, they had tracks with several composers losing all but the first composer.
If you wish a powerful tag editor, especially for batch editing, there are much better and safer choices on the market than relying on Audirvana.

Before you edit any track metadata in Audirvana, make sure you have a safe supply of tracks backup.

2 Likes

All files backed up. The more music files I gather the more I consider a double copy.

I’ve never had a problem editing metadata in AUDIRVĀNA STUDIO. It’s true I don’t add fields in AUDIRVĀNA STUDIO. I use what’s there and use the notes for material I can’t add. Each track has (usually) one composer. Each track as various artists, orchestras, bands and so on. Soloists in extended view is frustrating but where comma-separated values are entered in artist track album view that can be accessed in extended view.

Nothing here is perfect. Nothing is perfect as far as I’ve ever experienced. Adaptibilty and patience (time) is the mother and father of existence and longevity. For me I’m talking 100 or so years. For humankind it is trillions of years. My only complaint is I won’t be around in 500 years to see how well we humans have adapted and embraced change.

[Black lives, just as all lives, matter.] When are we gunna get this stuff right?

Haven’t checked out the tag editor yet, because I’ve used JRiver in the past. And I’ve used that program to do all the tagging.

And I have 3 copies of my music collection. One on each of my laptops, Mac and Windows, both running AS. And an unaltered backup on a hard disk that’s not connected to any computer.

1 Like

How did you folks get on before digital?
How did you find an album to play?
I use no playlists, except for parties, and then I usually ‘DJ’ on the fly.
I use no favourites, because all my albums are, or have been, or will be a ‘favourite’ at some point.
I just look through in album cover view until I see one I feel like listening to, just like looking through a shelf of vinyl, which was always fun because I never catalogued or kept my vinyl in any particular order, except possibly by artist, but even then that was by accident!
I am in awe of the attention to the minutae of detail some of you folks use for filing!

I also bet you don’t let your mates borrow your records for a party!
Or spent he morning after a party collecting all the records and putting them back in their covers!

Of course not. Lending records is like lending underwear. You don’t do that.

Me and my mates were always borrowing each other’s albums… I lost track of quite a few like that!
Got most of them back at some point, though if not there’s worse things.

So you treat your records like underwear?!? Expandable. :grinning:

In a way, yes. I see the record, the tape, the cd as merely the medium, it’s what’s contained in the medium, the music, that matters, and I can always replace that.
That’s the beauty of digital. It puts the music centre stage, not the box it comes in. And if I want sleeve notes, info, etc… there’s always wikipedia.

1 Like

I do understand that for many people it’s sacrilege.
And if collecting is your thing, that’s your thing.
I still have all the music I mislaid during my youth, I just have it digitally.

@Antoine : Please add the ID3 tag “Album Artist”
So we should have: Artist, Album Artist, Composer