Looking for a suitable DAC

Hi,

I am looking for a suitable DAC, wich can decode “normal” audio files, but also hi-res file like MQA.
So far i had opted for the ifi zen dac, but is there a better dac in the same price segment? Or just a little more expensive?

Maybe the Audio Quest Dragonfly blu/red/cobald?

The zen has a burr brown converter and the drangonfly has an ESS.
Which converter is significantly better

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Chris

Edit: Alle the files are locally stored on a HDD in a PC.

Get the ZEN and invest the rest of available budget in power cleaning, from better power cords to ultra low noise power supplies , and the iFi purifier. your ears will say thank you.

1 Like

Many tanks!

What purifier do you mean?
DC iPurifier2
AC iPurifier
iPurifier3

My recommendation: AC Purifier and maybe a Jitterbug from Audioquest . You will hear what I meant.

1 Like

HI,

Many thanks! for your answer

Hi Mephisto,
Go for RME Adi 2 Dac. With extreme jitter suppression. With EQ and much more. Forget MQA!
Together with Audirvana Plus, you get the best sound.
Syrinx

1 Like

Okay, but that clearly exceeds my cost limit…

Check out the Schiit Modi Multibit. It’s not MQA capable but it’s being praised for the sound quality.

iFi Hip DAC connected via the AudioQuest JitterBug

Or if you really care about MQA, check out the Meridian Explorer 2.

Okay, the ifi DACs are interesting for me.
What are the main differences between the Zen and the Hip dac?
I will use the DAC stationary, not on the go.

Many thanks!

Hey Mephisto,

After having been very happy with a Luxman DA-150 (stand-alone DAC/headphone amp, no line volume control, no MQA, but perfect with Audirvana) for over two years, I decided to look for a Pre-amp/DAC with analogue line volume control. I needed this combo to pair with my brand new Rogue Audio, Atlas Magnum III tube power amplifier.

Did ton of research and finally got M2Tech’s Young Mk III Pre-amp/DAC: https://lnx.m2tech.biz/products/rockstars/young-mkiii/
https://hifiheaven.net/shop/M2Tech-Young-MkIII-DAC-Preamplifier?search=young

It proved to be an amazing match with the Rogue power amp for many reasons but, most importantly here - it too plays perfectly well with Audirvana, including MQA support.

Audirvana does not automatically detect it as MQA but when I set its preferences “MQA decoder”, the Young plays and displays any Tidal or local MQA track as such, with the correct frequency listed.

The Young can, of course, be used as a stand alone DAC if you want to pair it with an integrated amp, which already has its own pre-amp.

Happy to go into more detail on the reasons I think the Young is so great.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Many thanks. But it’s definitely too expensive for me.

Tell your price… easier that way :grinning:

up to around € 300, but not more

The difference between iFi Zen and Hip is that the latter is portable and has a battery.
ESS chips are a little bit more bright than Burr Brown, but it depends on your taste…
Another one tho check is the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital, a little bit over your budget

1 Like

…I can recommend the USB DAC 128 Mk 3 by Henry audio (www.henryaudio.com). I´m using it to link my 2012 Mac mini to a tube amp. I really like it. It works great and it looks good :slight_smile: And it should be within your price range. Plus it is open source. It is produced by a very small company and you’ll get direct feedback from the producer/ inventor, if you have any questions…

It isn’t MQA compatible …

Many thanks at all for your answers!

So far I have shortlisted the ifi Zen dac and the pro ject s2. Their prices fit very well. I am still considering whether Burr Brown or ESS …

With the zen dac I wouldn’t have any money left for other hifi parts

But I could like the edd dac a little better…

Cheers,

Chris

Dragonfly red+jitterbug=dragonfly cobalt😉

1 Like