MacBook as host - USB out to DAC

my old late 2013 as no hard drive in it… it is dead,
so i ran opencore legacy on an attach usb external SSD disc.
SSD is a word to remember with opencore legacy help a lot on old computer

SSD is mandatory if your computer still has a spinning hard drive. I used to have a 2014 Mac Mini with a 1 tb hard drive. Plenty of storage but slow as hell. Decided to get a 256 gb SATA SSD and hooked it up to one of the USB ports using an SSD enclosure. Installed macOS on there and kept my data on the internal hard drive. The Mini became very fast. Best upgrade I’ve ever done.

I’ll have a look at getting my Air upgraded to Ventura. Although my Air is now a dedicated music player in the living room and Monterey does fit the bill. So it’s not an absolute must that it needs Ventura, as Audirvana is happy with a far older macOS version. :smile:

1 Like

My old mini is stuck at Catalina, your idea on the ssd is great thinking !

1 Like

@OffRode @RunHomeSlow
I understand the source of the sarcasm and hubristic nature of such a myopic perspective… What do you look to gain from this arrogant jab in this context?

How do you propose to determine or quantify signal level ‘noise’ or jitter in the playback sound quality of your systems…? What do you think the ‘noise’ that folks like myself and @Cloclo are describing…? I’ll give you a hint… It’s not a tangible noise like hiss or hum… it is electrical noise like RF and EMF and high-frequency noise that is radiated or induced throughout various board-level component operations and power/ground circuits, that affect the topology of the computer platform architecture… This noise precipitates jitter throughout the data pathways, primarily related to error-correction circuit interrupt request latencies, and power-sag, which subsequently affect the data that you finally receive at your DAC, and its analog output… You are only listening to what your DAC is receiving and responding to, in-order to produce an analog output signal waveform…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

So you get only support for the latest OS if your Mac is not older than 5 years.

Matt

Ventura apparently requires these topologies to run as expected at all levels of operation… It is what it is… an evolution… Personally, I’ve been through all of the Apple computer evolutions and expect I will not see the end… My 2016 MBP quad-core i7 will eventually be replaced… I got off the ‘bleeding-edge’ a long time ago…

Tangible-“ Possible to be treated as fact; real or concrete.”

From a pure technical POV Apple could easily support their computers at least 7 years with the latest OS. It is a pity :rage:

Matt

@reddog1
Tangible– “discernable”, “intelligible”, “perceptible”

@matt… It’s what has made them successful in the “power-user” artistic and scientific communities… hard to argue otherwise…

Indeed, so the noise none of these either?

1 Like

@reddog1 …This is the context… don’t try to change it with a straw-man argument…

Just put a “in” or “un” in front of those words to correct the confusion.
Nothing to worry about after all, whew………. I thought that sky was falling. We can sleep soundly tonight.

Certainly we can be sure that this will be injected into every future topic no matter how far removed, awesome :clap:

Hopefully @astonmartin will stop by when he procures his new MacBook and let us know how he likes it :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Just as we can expect the sarcastic pundits to chime in… :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Target rich environment, hell you’ve forgotten more than I’ll ever know right?

I’m honored that you quoted me………thank you sir

1 Like

It’s not a noise that you can hear, and say: “Hey, there’s a noise!”
But this noise degrades the quality of the D/A conversion of your DAC, and the SQ of the music to which you listen is not as good it could be.

1 Like

And here starts the circular non productive conversation, nope I’m out. You two can take it from here I’m certain.

2 Likes

@OffRode I don’t know what you really know… however you seem to have a hubristic certainty regarding aspects of computer based digital-audio playback and signal integrity that you want everybody to believe to be true based on your perspective… Does nobody-else have license here to espouse and corroborate their insights and perspective on these aspects of computer-centric digital-audio?

1 Like

The DAC works with crystal oscillators, whose precision drops if you stream electrical noise to your DAC.
Why buying an expensive DAC, and using it improperly, instead of optimizing its performance?

1 Like

@OffRode … The precipitating statement:

You reap what you sew…

@reddog1 … I know that I’m pointing a finger back at me… however, the context of my statements were completely in line with the primary question regarding USB output to the DAC…