MacBook as host - USB out to DAC

Far from it… it’s a democracy after all.
You are, and this isn’t sarcasm, one in a million, the majority of people’s will never discern what you are able to, nor will most people have the determination and will to achieve your level of knowledge, it’s a rare thing your level of achievement, I respect that. But for us mere mortals it can be overwhelmingly brain-mashing! :fist:

… These aspects of digital-audio signal integrity only matter when you can discern their effects on the final listening experience… It’s a matter of juxtaposition to what is familiar and what is perceived through conscientious investigative experience, created by changes, and the focus of one’s intent to possibly reach beyond the obvious that we become familiarized with,… I’m the type that sees the electrons flying around the system topologies and the ramifications of signal waveform distortions on the digital-audio data on it’s path to my DAC and out of my DAC to my ears…

2 Likes

This discussion is all nice and good but it seems to me that it’s going way off topic. The OP asked advice for an affordable computer to use with Audirvāna, not about (un)hearable jitter gremlins. Best to continue that conversation in a different topic. Just my 2 Euro cents.

7 Likes

:wink:

If the computer is used exclusively for audio (this is my case, just OS Ventura and Audirvana) the fan will practically not work, it shouldn’t generate noise.
The biggest problem of electrical noise generation is in the energy source. All computers use switching power supplies.
In the case of Mac mini it is possible to switch to an external linear power source.
Certainly the vast majority of people will not notice any difference between a switched or linear power source, especially those who are over 40 years old.
Good thing I can’t see electrons flying. :+1: :grinning:

1 Like

It is not so easy:
Good guy = LPS
Bad guy = SMPS
For example the most expensive server of Antipodes Audio uses SMPS only. Other respected manufacturer like Linn or Lejonklou do use them too. Even Taiko Audio is “switching” to a DC-DC switching converter for the new generation of the Extreme server.
When using a MBPro or MBAir you can easily power it by battery for critical listening and the Apple SMPS are not bad at all.

Matt

3 Likes

I agree with you.
Just that the power supplies would be a bigger problem than the fans.
As I wrote earlier, the vast majority of people will not notice any difference.

2 Likes

It was possible with the old models of the Mini.
Apple builds the Mini with an internal power supply for quite a longtime already.

They use regulated SMPS, not SMPS like the ones that come with the computers.

Thanks for this! Thanks also for everyone who has responded. I think the TL;DR of all posts is to get an M series MacBook if funds allow, ideally air as no fan is present.

I did actually wonder about a linear or otherwise ‘low noise’ power supply so thanks to those who mentioned it. I would have thought nothing other than the original PSU would be usable given the battery in situ.

Will keep my eyes peeled.

3 Likes

Mac mini for a long time come with an internal power supply, but it is possible to place an external linear source.
For me the original power source that comes from Apple I think is very good for audio.

You might want to look online if you can find an M1 MacBook Air as a refurbished model. They sell here in the Netherlands for around 950 Euro, Still about 300 Euro less than what Apple charges for a new one.

1 Like

Well you’ve talked me into it.

Decided to buy one of these…

Ordered it on Amazon, should arrive on Wednesday. Can’t wait :smile:

2 Likes

They are really good DACs for the money - I bought three!

2 Likes

Right on, looks like a great piece of kit. Those iFi folk put a lot of value and flexibility into their designs. We shall wait for the official review from you soon :+1:t2:

1 Like

I just received the ZEN One Signature.
Simply excellent, it’s already here working.

ZEN One Signature by iFi audio - The hi-res home audio hub for all your digital devices. (ifi-audio.com)

2 Likes

Well when you have that Aston Martin money :moneybag: why not? :joy::wink::rofl:
That you Seb ?
Best luck finding your Mac Air m1, that should really be a good choice if funding permits. Nice to see many manufacturers having excellent quality gear for the 99% of music aficionados these days.

1 Like

Man you guys are killing me……. I’m leaning towards pulling the trigger on the iFi streamer to pair with my oppo sonica dac. Anyone tried out one of those yet?

Congratulations Rey, when you get some time with it let us know what you think, you have Oppo205 as well I think?

2 Likes

I left the Oppo 205 only for movies and concerts.
For music this DAC from iFi is perfect.

1 Like

Internal board of this iFi model.

Absolutely, it’s a gift. A gift that you have honed and worked on. I admire your tenacity and accomplishments. I also enjoy pulling your leg, as we say.

1 Like