MacBook won’t connect to external DAC

Hi: not really an Audirvana issue, this one, I suspect, but my MacBook will no longer play tracks through my Chord 2Qute external DAC. (Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1).

Sound system preferences lists the DAC as available, and I can select it. Audirvana sees it too, but as soon as I click play on any track, the MacBook source switches back to its internal speakers (but no sound comes out).

If I try to select the DAC again from the MacBook’s sound drop down menu, I get the spinning wheel of death.

It was working fine before the last Mac OS update. Can anyone suggest a fix, please?

Cheers…

Hi @Dave_Hansford

Ridiculous comment but… have you shut everything down. Waited at lease 30 seconds, pray (if you believe) reconnect.

Sometimes that’s all it takes. Common-sense tells me so.

Regards

Phil

Yup. Tried that several times (although I didn’t pray, come to think of it). Also unplugged everything, replugged. Also zapped the PRAM and the SMC…

1 Like

Sorry to hear you have issues. I am using a Hugo2 and Mojo2 under 13.2.1 without issues. I assume you have tried the Qutest on another Mac (if available) to confirm that the device and cable are OK? Have you tried a different usb port?

Did you update or do a full clean install when installing 13.2.1? I always tend to do clean installs as updaters can sometimes lead to problems.

Have you attempted to reinstall 13.2.1? If not you can download a full installer for 13.2.1 from mrmacintosh.com and go to the ventura installers tab and download the full installer (they are download links to the apple servers so are legit downloads). Using this should keep your data intact and just replace the operating system with a fresh version of 13.2.1. Once done should prompt you to accept connection to the Qutest when first plugged in and reregister it in the USB register.

May solve your issue, may not.

2 Likes

Thanks for your helpful advice… I just updated Ventura, but it sounds like a clean reinstall might be worth a try. The 2Qute has worked flawlessly with the MacBook until now… the only smoking gun I can think of is the latest OS update. It’s a mystery that the MacBook can clearly see the DAC (it appears in System Profiler and Sound System Preferences). Audirvana happily selects it by default when I plug it in, but the moment I try to play a track, the MacBook defaults to its own speakers…

Time for a firmware check-in with Chord… Also make sure you start Audirvana after your DAC is available… Start everything from a cold-boot and make sure your DAC is selected as the system output device in Audio MIDI Setup…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

1 Like

Thanks for this… I’d forgotten about the audio midi settings, and I have to confess, I’ve never updated any firmware for the DAC.

This is super-helpful, thank you…

Hi did you find a fix for this problem? I’m having exactly the same issue. It’s infuriating! Many thanks

OK, so yes… I finally fixed this, and surprise, surprise, it was as easy as turning the DAC off at the wall and waiting 30 seconds!

2 Likes

Hi @Dave_Hansford

Told ya! Neva fails!

Regards

Phil

2 Likes

Troubleshooting 101 :man_facepalming:t2:

Been there done that :grimacing:

1 Like

It Crowd GIFs | Tenor

3 Likes

3 Likes

Typical dodgy British kit :joy::wink::rofl:

1 Like

That reminds me, how ARE you’re new KEF’s?? :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

:uk:Almost as fab as my B&W’s :+1:t2: I’ve given the KEF’s a vacation as I’m in Cali for a bit.:uk:

1 Like